Newbie from NW Suburbs looking to Network

Newbie from NW Suburbs looking to Network

Wholesaler · Carpentersville, IL · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 20 votes

Hello Everyone!

I hope everyone is off to a great start in 2021. It has taken me a few months, but here goes my first post on BP. One of my goals is to connect with more local investors in the NW suburbs area. My Fiancé and I have lived in Carpentersville our whole lives and truly love our community. We hope to house hack our first investment property in our hometown but also open to nearby towns such as West Dundee and Elgin. We spent 2020 learning REI through several books, forums, podcasts (recommend Straight Up Chicago Investor), and finally getting our finances in order. We also were fortune enough to connect with other Chicagoland investors through virtual meet ups and also connected with a few locally.

We ended 2020 taking action. We got preapproved and are actively looking for a MFH with an investor friendly agent. Working as a full time engineer and nurse, we are excited to start our journey. Our goal is to share our plan with everyone and learn from others. If you have any tips/advice or just want to share real estate stories, we'd love to connect! 

Thanks!

Daniel

4Reply
116 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Chicago · Member since 2018 · 612 posts · 1k+ votes
5y

@Mark Ainley - Do you know how tough it is to develop an ego when you're 5'9 and bald? It ain't easy. 

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Steve SmithPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Gurnee, IL · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Daniel Nevarez welcome! I’m a realtor in Lake and McHenry counties and in the middle of my own live-n-flip. If you need help locating properties, have questions, or want to connect shoot me a PM.

  • Wholesaler · Carpentersville, IL · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    Hey @Steve Smith! That is awesome, we thought about starting with a live-n-flip. We figured we don't mind house hacking for a few years then transitioning to that strategy when we are ready for a SFH...and more privacy. So for now, our agent is helping us track down that first 2-3 unit to get the snow ball started.

  • Investor · Hoffman Estates, IL · Member since 2014 · 434 posts · 185 votes
    5y

    Congrats guys!  Buy some units

  • Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    Hi Daniel - I'm pretty new as well in RE investing and just got my license.  My brother in law and I are flipping a house in Elgin currently, so I have a bit of experience I could share.  PM me if you want to connect!  

  • Mark F.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Elgin, IL · Member since 2016 · 326 posts · 270 votes
    5y

    @Daniel Nevarez we spoke a few months ago, I'm glad to hear that you stuck to your goals and plans and are on your way with your REI journey.

    @Susie Wendel I'm in Elgin also, we should connect sometime. 

  • Wholesaler · Carpentersville, IL · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    @Scot Howat Thanks, will do!!

    @Susie Wendel that's awesome, congrats! Would love to hear more about it, will definitely send a PM!

    @Mark F. Hey!! Yes, we started taking action finally! Got connected with an agent and broker and visiting a few multis in Elgin and Carpentersville. Would be great to reconnect, I'll send a PM! 

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Daniel Nevarez - Thanks so much for posting and sharing about your real estate journey.  You'll definitely want to make sure you connect with @Mark F. (above) and @Joe Mueller both are great resources and know the NW Chicago Suburb market very well.

    Also, a fellow engineer, what industry are you in?

    Happy to connect and see how we can help.

  • Wholesaler · Carpentersville, IL · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    @Jonathan Klemm Thanks for sharing! Luckily I’ve connected with both and have been given great advice!

    That’s awesome! I studied mechanical and I’m currently in the healthcare industry. I work on MRI scanners at local hospitals but sometimes across all Chicagoland. How about yourself?

  • Investor · Hoffman Estates, IL · Member since 2014 · 434 posts · 185 votes
    5y

    @Susie Wendel let me know if you'd like my 2 cents.  I can stop by and give you some pointers if you need an experienced opinion.

  • Mark AinleyBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Roselle, IL (Chicago Suburb) · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Daniel Nevarez Good to hear you keep moving forward.  Feel free to reach out anytime along the way for second opinion or advice.  In fact, everyone on this thread i am sure is up to assist you get where you are trying to get for this first step!  Good luck!

  • Wholesaler · Carpentersville, IL · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    @Mark Ainley I appreciate that! And thanks for everything you and Tom are doing. I know I may be starting out, but I tell everyone about the podcast because it has had a huge impact already. Most likely I will be reaching out along the way!

  • Mark AinleyBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Roselle, IL (Chicago Suburb) · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Daniel Nevarez Thanks for that feedback, especially publicly.  It is good for @Tom Shallcross ego.  Kidding aside we are excited to keep trying to provide value so long as great listeners like you keep sharing!

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago · Member since 2018 · 612 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Mark Ainley - Do you know how tough it is to develop an ego when you're 5'9 and bald? It ain't easy. 

  • Mark AinleyBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Roselle, IL (Chicago Suburb) · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Tom Shallcross I hear you. At least you are 5’9”. I am stuck at 5’6.5”

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Daniel Nevarez - ME is a great degree.  Working in the hospitals has got to be a pretty fullflling job.I went to Iowa state for construction engineering.  

    @Mark Ainley and @Tom Shallcross - I definitely feel your pain lol

  • Wholesaler · Carpentersville, IL · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    Just wanted to give everyone an update....

    We closed on a duplex that we are house hacking in Carpentersville! Just want to say thanks to a majority of you that I had a few one on one talks with. Love this community! And once again, special shoutout to @Tom Shallcross and @Mark Ainley for the podcast you guys started! Because of you guys I was able to connect with @Joe Mueller and his team which have been a HUGE help! 

  • Real Estate Broker · Aurora, IL · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    We should create some sort of NW Chicagoland newbie / advanced investors meet up event!

  • Wholesaler · Carpentersville, IL · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    Hello @Anastasia Lozhkina .Actually apart of a few meetups. One is happening in person this Friday! It’s at Downers Grove if you want to pm for more details.

  • Zach GringPro Member
    Realtor · Saint Charles, IL · Member since 2020 · 126 posts · 101 votes
    5y

    @Daniel Nevarez congratulations on the first house hack. I’m in a similar boat as your journey. Working on my third sfr right now, 2020 was a great year for reading and education. Reach out sometime, I’m always interested in networking with locals. You’ve had some great minds in real estate comment on this post already, no one left to tag ha! Which meetup are you referring to in downers?

    @Anastasia Lozhkina I would be interested in helping set up a western burb’s meet up. Reach out sometime.

  • Wholesaler · Carpentersville, IL · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    @Zach Gring Thanks! I'll send you a pm for the details. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 51 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    @Daniel Nevarez

    Newbie here too, congrats on your journey to this point! Well wishes..

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Steve Smith Hey Steve i am a new investor in Lake County please let me know if you have any multi units.

  • Bartlett, IL · Member since 2021 · 1 post · 1 vote
    5y

    @Daniel Nevarez

    Looking to get more involved. Can you PM any local meets ups, thank you!

  • Steve SmithPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Gurnee, IL · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Anastasia Lozhkina & @Zach Gring & @Crystel Garcia There is several groups already.  Check out Lake County Property investors Association https://www.LCPIA.Org might be a little to far north for you and Chicago Creative Investors Association https://ccia-info.com/  Both great organizations.   

    @Ali 

    @Ali Khan I'll PM you to find out what your criteria is and area's you are looking at.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2010 · 65 posts · 45 votes
    5y

    You should check out Rockford.  It is a great cashflow town.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.