Do you believe in hyperinflation ??

Do you believe in hyperinflation ??

Investor · Camden , NJ · Member since 2010 · 77 posts · 7 votes

Do you believe in hyperinflation??Seems like every where i turn I'm hearing this word ... It's a very scary word  sounds like a horror movie . Guess the government  are the ones with the mask ,.. Lol :) 
My question is do u believe in hyperinflation  .. If you do how are you preparing for it ???

Me myself I do believe the gap between the rich and poor is increasing everyday . !!!! 

0Reply
120 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Louisville, KY · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
15y

Exactly, James. Lots of people like to throw the word around. Keep the fear alive!!
But it is very rare indeed. It isn't something that just arises out of high debt or rising money supply. There are several factors that must converge at the same moment in time and they must converge on the right country at the right time.
It is not enough to find 1 or 2 similarities between the US now and other countries which experienced hyperinflation. You have to go much deeper than that.
Unfortunately most people don't go deeper. They read a misleading headline and jump to wild conclusions.
In the current real world, you should fear the effects of stagnation or deflation much more than hyperinflation. It is economically impossible for an economy to be teetering on the edge between deflation and hyperinflation. But if you listen to the kooks mostly on a certain cable "news" channel, that is apparently where we are.
It is ridiculous.
Is it reasonable to prepare for some inflation? Sure. But talk of hyperinflation is simply that...hyperbole.

See this reply in the discussion

115 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Seminole, FL · Member since 2010 · 859 posts · 316 votes
    15y

    No i dont. I think we will see severe inflation but it aibt be enough to fit the definition if hyperinflation. I must credit Bryan Hancock for forcing me to research this topic to arrive at that conclusion.

    That being said i think harder times are coming.

  • Investor · Camden , NJ · Member since 2010 · 77 posts · 7 votes
    15y

    I do believe times will get worse ... Bread and milk will raise in prices gas will go up ... Do you have advice on books of videos I can see that lead you to your conclusion . I truly want to educate myself in this topic . Everything I have read or watch has lead to me to the conclusion of hyperinflation .. I want to see both angles so I can prepare myself for the years upon us !!!!

  • Real Estate Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2009 · 216 posts · 112 votes
    15y

    Start by googling the word "hyperinflation". Get yourself a definition. Then you will see why it will be difficult to achieve.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    John T. Reed has a book on hyperinflation and depression. I highly recommend reading it. It will shatter your ideas about inflation hedges in the extreme cases.

    I have asked this same question 20 different times in 20 different ways on this forum and nobody ever has good evidence of looming HYPERinflation. Many subscribe to elevated inflation in later years, but the hyperinflation story has no credibility as far as I can tell.

    If others have a good argument for it I would love to see it.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Louisville, KY · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    Exactly, James. Lots of people like to throw the word around. Keep the fear alive!!
    But it is very rare indeed. It isn't something that just arises out of high debt or rising money supply. There are several factors that must converge at the same moment in time and they must converge on the right country at the right time.
    It is not enough to find 1 or 2 similarities between the US now and other countries which experienced hyperinflation. You have to go much deeper than that.
    Unfortunately most people don't go deeper. They read a misleading headline and jump to wild conclusions.
    In the current real world, you should fear the effects of stagnation or deflation much more than hyperinflation. It is economically impossible for an economy to be teetering on the edge between deflation and hyperinflation. But if you listen to the kooks mostly on a certain cable "news" channel, that is apparently where we are.
    It is ridiculous.
    Is it reasonable to prepare for some inflation? Sure. But talk of hyperinflation is simply that...hyperbole.

  • Investor · Camden , NJ · Member since 2010 · 77 posts · 7 votes
    15y

    Thanks ...
    John T reed book sounds like a great read I will be purchasing it ..
    I want to see both views ..
    I do believe times will get rough but not to the point that our currency dies .. Although the dollar is losing value I can't seeing it dying ..

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Lisandro Garcia:
    Do you believe in hyperinflation??

    Is that like asking, "Do you believe in God?" or "Do you believe in Santa Clause?" :D

    If so, the answer is yes...I do believe that hyperinflation exists.

    That said, I don't believe that it should be a serious concern over the short-term (within 10 years) in this country. If you spend some time studying macroeconomic theory and do some research into what has driven hyperinflation in other countries throughout recent history, you should be somewhat reassured that this isn't a huge concern in the U.S. in the near-term.

    That said, anything can happen if the right circumstances converge...it just doesn't appear they are at this time...

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Tom Cullen:
    Anything can happen, and usually not in the way you expect.

    Yup...like we could have severe deflation too.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Bryan Hancock:
    Originally posted by Tom Cullen:
    Anything can happen, and usually not in the way you expect.

    Yup...like we could have severe deflation too.

    Now that I think about it, there are billions of things I don't expect to happen...

    For example, I don't expect a U.S. invasion by Norwegian housewives hell bent on taking over fast food restaurants and conveniences stores across the nation. Does this mean we should be preparing our defenses against this possibility?

    Personally, I'd rather we spend our efforts on those things that we expect (based on experience, logic and facts) to happen...and if the Norwegian housewives should invade, I'll eat my words...and their fast food... :D

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    15y

    Seems like stagflation is a much more likely possibility. If QE2 fails that money pumped into the system may cause creeping inflation. Meanwhile people are still out of work, unemployment is high, which is the stagnation part. Also, gas prices are creeping up again and higher energy prices, actions by OPEC, etc. were associated with stagflation in the '70s.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    That is all well and good Tom...where is the evidence this will happen here based on the current state of affairs?

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y

    Tom -

    I don't think anyone is arguing with the stuff we learned in Macro Economics 101...all economies will see inflationary and deflationary periods, but it very rarely leads to hyperinflation.

    As Bryan asked, why do you believe that this time is going to culminate in what is a tremendously rare occurrence?

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    Tom,
    Do you think think it is the legislated spending increases lately that will cause hyperinflation here or other factors such as legislated extension of credit that's been predetermined to be insolvent?

    Remember Tom, hyperinflation is a "tremendously rare occurrence" that the United States has already induced twice through government fiat creation and spending, and worldwide has only happened 26 times since 1980. With the "tremendous rarity" of an occurrence that the US has already done twice in it's history and for the last 30 years averages out to close to 1 hyper inflating currency per year, we can't be to sure that the same indicators the preceded hyperinflation 28 times will happen again. Remember, 29th time's a charm.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Please provide evidence about HYPERinflation in the United States.

    Thanks..

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Please point out how the growth in our debt is exponential. Here is a definition of exponential for the math challenged:

    Exponential

    If you juxtapose this graph with our debt growth:

    Debt Graph

    you will clearly see it is NOT exponential.

    My apologies to the OP on this thread tending toward a political discussion. Some members of our board wish to twist every single thread into a blame-game and pick political fights. When asked to produce facts to support their wild ideas, half-truths, and propaganda we always get the same response...radio silence.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Tom Cullen:
    For the OP. The following is an excellent link and goes into the dynamics of inflation.

    http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/infldynamic.htm

    SJSU is where I did my MBA work. I've taken two courses with Professor Watkins.

    I'm quite certain that he'd laugh at your last post about "exponential" debt increase (see Bryan's links to understand why). And he'd also laugh at Tim's post about the U.S. experiencing two episodes of hyper-inflation during it's history.

    Unfortunately, it's easy to see how the U.S. has slipped to 15th in the world in education...

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Okay...I'll play along despite the obvious dodging of key questions.

    Again...If this is such a critical issue and you are SOLD of the fact that there will be HYPERinflation in this country with absolutely no sound logic to support it why aren't you taking extreme measures to protect yourself as much as possible?

    If you are a hard money lender at you are loaning money at 18% with a few points do you know what that money will be worth in a few months in hyperinflation? Zilch...nada...zippo. So why are you doing it and simultaneously preaching currency armageddon? I fully expect for this question to be rhetorical because it has been asked 5 or so times on this same subject with this same set of posters and they choose to ignore it. I threw it is this thread for posterity though.

    So...what say you doom and gloomers? If financial collapse is imminent why are you engaging in actions that will destroy your financial well being if you are convinced that the end of our currency is near?

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Tom Cullen:

    The thesis of this article is that we've avoided hyperinflation...

    Tom -

    If you see Tim's post above, he clearly disagrees with you, saying we've had hyperinflation twice in this country:

    Originally posted by Tim W:

    Remember Tom, hyperinflation is a "tremendously rare occurrence" that the United States has already induced twice through government fiat creation and spending...

    And Glenn Beck claimed that we've had hyperinflation more than a dozen times in this country...

    Sounds like all the big names in Economics are in disagreement here...

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Sounds like all the big names in Economics are in disagreement here...

    Priceless....Made my morning J! :mrgreen:

  • Investor · Camden , NJ · Member since 2010 · 77 posts · 7 votes
    15y

    -This whole post made my week ... 

     Bryan I couldn't agree w you more .. I recently watch a video on hyperinflation and the "end of the world " as we know it .. At the end of the video it  was promoting becoming a member of this "exclusive " club that will help you  prepare you for hyperinflation the funniest part to me was in the video it stated that The end of the dollar  was about 6-12 months away .. At the end of the video it tells you  to become a member for $97 a month or a flat rate of x amount of dollars for a year ,..  You telling me the dollar is dying in few months  but you are still charging me in dollars .. !!! 

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Lisandro Garcia:
    You telling me the dollar is dying in few months  but you are still charging me in dollars .. !!! 

    Ah...the irony! I'm glad most people are intelligent enough to see through this!

    I bet dollars to doughnuts we won't see any responses to the questions posed above. It is all entertaining though!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Seminole, FL · Member since 2010 · 859 posts · 316 votes
    15y

    One thing I am sure of, it would not be comfortable for anyone if we were to go back to the gold standard.

    Preparing for economic collapse or any disaster wouldn't be a bad idea. Best case scenario you are wrong, and you prepared for nothing to happen.

  • Investor · Camden , NJ · Member since 2010 · 77 posts · 7 votes
    15y

    Jimmy I agree ... Times will get rough ...

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    I disagree...If you "prepare" by not investing the money and/or doing the things that are REALLY required to protect yourself from hyperinflation you trade off a lot by doing so. Everything in life has an economic price and preparing for financial ruin of our economy has a HIGH price.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Seminole, FL · Member since 2010 · 859 posts · 316 votes
    15y

    Well by preparation I meant: food, water, and ammo.

    My financial status will mean very little if a desperate man with bad intentions enters my home.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.