Investing in Bali, Indonesia

4 Replies

Hello ! One of my friend is currently buying villas in Bali, Indonesia. I would like to do the same but I heard that’s a bit “dodgy” over there. The government is corrupt and it’s not rare that investors loose everything. What do you know about it ? Experiences ? Thanks

Hello @Eva Sothebys

check out https://sevenstonesindonesia.com/ and see if they can help you out. I've never done business with them but from what I can see they look legit. They are also the only firm registered here on BP that operate in Bali, Indonesia. This appear to be one of the owners: https://twitter.com/terjehnparadise

I think that Bali is a very interesting marked. I stayed in Canggu for 6 weeks a few years ago and can highly recommend the area. It's close to Ubud, Seminyak and Kuta, but not as touristy and high-priced. When I was there (October and November in 2016) it looked like an area on the rise. That's also what the locals told me. Many of them had moved back home to Canggu because the amount of jobs was starting to increase there. I still have a few of them on facebook and could ask them some questions if you would like to know their opinion. The reason i chose Canggu in the first place is that they have the best MMA gym in Indonesia there. Its called Bali MMA and is owned and operated by 2 american brothers. The coworking space "dojo bali" is also located in Canggu. Their 6 load balanced internet connection is rivaled by none on the Island and is therefore a magnet to all digital nomads.

@Joakim Svindland Reistad I'm looking to buy in Bali, somewhere in Canggu so I can be close to Bali MMA. Just a Jiu Jitsu guy though ;). My wife is Indonesian and still has an Indonesian passport so I may have an upper hand compared to other bules. I've just started digging into the laws and it seems that things are definitely different. I'd like to find a place to house hack. Gonna hit up Seven Stones pretty soon.  

Originally posted by @Eva Sothebys :

Hello ! One of my friend is currently buying villas in Bali, Indonesia. I would like to do the same but I heard that’s a bit “dodgy” over there. The government is corrupt and it’s not rare that investors loose everything. What do you know about it ? Experiences ? Thanks

Ive heard that Indonesia only lets you do 99 year land leases instead of purchases, is this true?