Any Good Property Managers in Baltimore, MD???

Any Good Property Managers in Baltimore, MD???

Real Estate Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 300 posts · 277 votes

Hello, I've been a part of this site for years, and I need some REI assistance. I am a little sick and tired of Baltimore, and I want to find a good property manager for my rental property there. My last PM made as much money as I did, and still couldnt keep a tenant in. If I can't find a good PM, I am going to sell the property, do a 1031 exchange, and purchase a new property in Richmond, VA. So, can anyone give me the name a GOOD property manager? Mind you, Im not stingy, but when you have so many fees - when you're doing your job and when you're not) that you make 2/3 of what I collect in a year, thats a problem. Mostly in baltimore, everyone wants a ton of money, even if they dont fill a vacancy, aren't responsive, etc. I tried to go to Angies' List, but the top rated Property Manager I just dumped, and the others immediately have negative reviews. Its forcing me to lower my standards. I tried to go through my RE agent, met a "Property Manager" then he had some other guy called me who was more expensive than my last baltimore PM. This new guy had a clause that if my house was vacant for 4 months, i have to pay HIM $750. I mean, getting paid even if they dont do their job.

Any leads before i just say I can't find a good, solid team up here and I sell????

You're help is greatly appreciated at this point.

Lisa

4Reply
111 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Sparks Glencoe, MD · Member since 2012 · 28 posts · 14 votes
13y

I own rental properties (and know others who do as well) in Baltimore City and Baltimore County and the only thing we consistently complain about is the property taxes in the city versus the county. That being said prices are cheaper in the city and you get better rent per purchase ratios.

As for Baltimore City being responsive I guess they could be better but I have never had a huge problem getting anything done. The hardest part was contacting the correct department to address my problem.

Another interesting thing is that you need a rental license in Baltimore County before you can legally rent the property. This will put you back a couple hundred bucks and it needs to be renewed every 3 years. Just a money maker for the county. In Baltimore City no inspection is necessary other than lead paint if the property is older. Also a $30 a year registration is needed.

Lisa, it sounds like you have quite a bit of experience with crappy property managers. Mine is OK. I have to manage the PM company many times and check in with them but they do not charge the outrageous fees you describe. They charge 1 month's rent for finding a tenant and 8% of each rent check or $100 whichever is more. If I don't get a rent check or the property stays vacant, they don't get paid either. Also they found a tenant for me and had to evict them 4 months later. They apologized and found a tenant without charging me. I thought that was decent of them to do. If you want they contact information send me a private message.

Scott

See this reply in the discussion

76 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · DMV Maryland · Member since 2013 · 867 posts · 370 votes
    13y

    @Lisa Phillips

    - I'm anxious to see what is posted here in response (if anything)as B'more is a market I want to get into but will ONLY do if a PM is involved.

  • Real Estate Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 300 posts · 277 votes
    13y

    @Christina R. I don't like ever discouraging people from real estate investing...but...I would go to baltimore county vs. baltimore city. You have choices, you should really consider them. You still get cheap houses and 700-1100 rent depending on the property. My gripe isnt the lower income neighborhoods, those are fine. My problem IS however with calling the city, the water department, gas and electric, code enforcement, lead registrations, property registration...Everyone in baltimore has their hands out, and when you call, you're NOT dealing with professional people, half of them are real "ghetto" and give terrible customer service, or they are just plain not bright --its like they can't problem-solve to save their lives. You get fines without any explanation, and don't try and not pay them. They'll let you know very quickly you better ask how high when they jump...and this is all the departments you have to deal with. The only people who get a break are tenants who dont pay or anyone on govt assistance...

    Thats why I am ALMOST ready to go through the trouble and sell and get another house (as well as pay any capital gains taxes on the proceeds above what I purchase a new property for). And, if I dont find a PM, I will definitely....Because, I don't like dealing with these homegrown incompetent people myself...its soooo frustrating. I have properties in OH, VA, Las Vegas, and I have never had a group of city workers that were either lazy, rude, or greedy.....A good PM will take that all away, but it is hard hard hard to find someone who DOESN'T make as much as I Do. Seriously, I made 5.2k for the year, the property manager made 3.5k. I mean, its all your money with all the fees.

  • Investor · Demarest, NJ · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 29 votes
    13y

    I can just add that I'm also looking into Baltimore for investment and couldn't get any PM companies return my call or emails though I went through all the list coming from http://irem.org

    Luckily I got some phone numbers from members here in the forum and I have a good family relative that is willing to help so what is what I'm working with right now.

    Can you share what were the rates you were asked for from the PM companies you worked with? is there a first month down payment? etc etc.

    Thanks,

    Lior

  • Real Estate Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 300 posts · 277 votes
    13y

    @Lior Solomon

    Hi Lior. I have experience with 1, and only read the listing agreements of 2 others.

    HMJ Mgmt (Which I terminated our agreement with)

    1) First months Rent for leasing fee (this is pretty consistent in baltimore)

    --That wouldnt be bad, but his listing agreement did not mention he disburses money to owners 2 months after. Rent collected Sept 1 gets disbursed Oct 31, thus it took 3 months to get anything.

    2) Monthly fee, even if vacant is consistent (I have properties in OH, VA, And Las Vegas, and they dont charge when vacant, but baltimore does).

    3) Ive seen a couple of firm thats charge 8% of monthly rent, but its usually 10% a month, or a flat fee of $75-$100 if no rent collected (talk about low incentive for finding a tenant). This last guy I looked at had a fee of $750 if a tenant wasn't found and I decide to terminate the contract after 4 months...talk about no incentive to work...

    4) Some charge, in addition to leasing fees, a $250-$500 deposit for advertising. Thats baltimore for you. Other states include advertising in their leasing fee when they find a tenant.

    5) Standard if you sale the property within 4 months of a tenant leaving, they get 6% brokerage and sales commission

    6) Others have they only need approval on maintenance costs for $500. Up to that point they can make repairs as needed without authorization or approval.

    7) One weirdo had that if you have a month to month lease, they get 6 months worth of rent...I hope that was a typo.

    All in all, with maintenance and turnover, it can be pricey for the year. More so than my properties in Columbus, OH or Richmond, VA.

    If you would like to share your leads, Lois, it would be greatly appreciated. This is really tough. Without a good team,I can't manage the property because its really frustrating dealing with the people in that city.

  • Professional · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2010 · 79 posts · 47 votes
    13y

    So I'm assuming landlording in Baltimore,MD is a waste of time?

    I do lease options in Baltimore and was thinking of expanding into rentals eventually with a PM there, but from how this sounds. Support for landlords sound really bad lol ... It might be in my best interest to landlord in other cities in MD.

  • property manager · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2012 · 502 posts · 171 votes
    13y

    try finding a member of WWW.NARPM.COM since they focus on residential instead of IREM which is multifamily

  • Real Estate Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 300 posts · 277 votes
    13y

    @Jerome Im not going to lie. Since I have done/currently do real estate investing in 4 different states and cities, I've seen a wide range of support and infrastructure. Baltimore is amazingly bad. I mean, I am quite amazed at how openly low the standards are for being a professional. Many of the investors I know go right outside the city to the county. I would HIGHLY recommend that. I mean, the fact that I am going to sell and go to another city might tell you something...

    @Tiger Thanks! I will give this a look. I never looked at this, and my entire RE strategy and growth does depend on having a good PM. I really appreciate this, and Im sure others do too.

  • Investor · Demarest, NJ · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 29 votes
    13y

    Thanks @Tiger M. I never knew about narpm, I'll give it a shot.

    @Lisa Phillips thanks for the detailed reply. I will share with you the numbers I have on a private message.

    Lior

  • Investor · Sparks Glencoe, MD · Member since 2012 · 28 posts · 14 votes
    13y

    I own rental properties (and know others who do as well) in Baltimore City and Baltimore County and the only thing we consistently complain about is the property taxes in the city versus the county. That being said prices are cheaper in the city and you get better rent per purchase ratios.

    As for Baltimore City being responsive I guess they could be better but I have never had a huge problem getting anything done. The hardest part was contacting the correct department to address my problem.

    Another interesting thing is that you need a rental license in Baltimore County before you can legally rent the property. This will put you back a couple hundred bucks and it needs to be renewed every 3 years. Just a money maker for the county. In Baltimore City no inspection is necessary other than lead paint if the property is older. Also a $30 a year registration is needed.

    Lisa, it sounds like you have quite a bit of experience with crappy property managers. Mine is OK. I have to manage the PM company many times and check in with them but they do not charge the outrageous fees you describe. They charge 1 month's rent for finding a tenant and 8% of each rent check or $100 whichever is more. If I don't get a rent check or the property stays vacant, they don't get paid either. Also they found a tenant for me and had to evict them 4 months later. They apologized and found a tenant without charging me. I thought that was decent of them to do. If you want they contact information send me a private message.

    Scott

  • Real Estate Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 300 posts · 277 votes
    13y

    @Tiger M. Talk about lifesaver :-) I emailed about 7 different PMs on the list and

    1) They've all responded within 24 hrs

    2) They're all licensed

    3) None of them take payment unless their is a tenant.

    90% of the battle won. You helped save my Baltimore Real Estate (Their listing agreements are solid too). You were a BIG HELP!

    @Scott McClelland Yes, I have had many bad apples. However, this is looking more positive since Ive contacted PMs from the NARPM website listed by Tiger. If we can get this down, I will hold on to this property a little longer before jumping ship.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    @Lisa Phillips I am glad you got a better response with NARPM. There is not question that dealing with Baltimore can be tough but that is exactly why the returns are so good. Many people just won't deal with the hassles so there is less competition.

    @Jerome Harrod II Baltimore Is a fine place to invest as long as you understand what you are investing in. It is higher risk, higher effort, for greater reward. I know a lot of people who do very well here, however it is not for everyone. But then again neither is landlording.

  • Real Estate Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 300 posts · 277 votes
    13y

    @Ned Carey Thats exactly right! Thats why I was going to consider selling, because the property management piece was too difficult. However, I am hoping with a higher quality PM, I can continue to make the returns I am making. I purchased/rehab my bmore property near john hopkins medical campus (Near the revitalization effort) for 40k, and I rent for 975 for market rent. Thats amazing, so I really want to keep it because the returns are so great. I am hopeful that I can continue.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 928 votes
    13y

    NARPM has all of 1 member in my metro area with population of 2 million+ and a hundred or more property managers. So it's very hit or miss. Baltimore does seem to have a lot NARPM members, though I have no idea if that denotes competence, or they've just paid a fee to be on a list.

    In general, there are no good/comprehensive clearinghouse sources/sites for finding good residential PMs (1-4 unit properties). Talking to local investors at REIA meetings and such channels remains the best way to find a good residential PM in a given market. There are a few, but growing number, of franchise (such as Real Property Management, AllCounty, Property Management Inc.) operators that might give you a more consistent, albeit not likely inexpensive, experience.

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    @Lisa Phillips if the returns are so good but it is such a hassle why wouldn't you be willing to pay more?

    I'd be inclined to try a large outfit where you can compare fees. In my area lots of managers won't touch sf.

  • Real Estate Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 300 posts · 277 votes
    13y

    @Jeff S. The mgmt I have met, spoken with, and contracted with WERE expensive. Thats why I expected so, so much more than I got. Its actually less expensive to work with the licensed property managers I got form NARPM. I have spoken to 5 of them and read their management agreements, and 4/5 of them are less expensive than the unlicensed ones I found in Angies List, Thumbtack, and the BBB. And, thats why I am disappointed it has taken this long to find reputable people, I DONT mind paying more if it makes it a few less headache. This is the only location (out of 4) that Ive experienced where this has happened.

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    @Lisa Phillips so did you find a good property management company from visiting ? If so, can you pass their information to me? I'm currently looking for a good PM.

    Thanks,

    Eric

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    lol @Lisa Phillips I have said that a time or two to @Christina R. as well regarding my thoughts on the County vs. City.

    I do not have a full time PM, but I do use a PM company for any court filings. The company name is IPS (Investment Property Solutions). They're alright. I used to deal with a guy named Vaughn who I thought was awesome. He was so responsive and thorough. Of course, he left (without telling me!).

    Now I have a lady named Dorothy assigned to me. She's pretty good, but not as responsive...sometimes hard to get a hold of, but at the same time, she's given me some valuable tips I didn't know before.

    Their info is the following:

    Investment Property Solutions, Inc

  • Investor · DMV Maryland · Member since 2013 · 867 posts · 370 votes
    12y

    @Nicole A.

    - LOL . Don't want to highjack this thread but can you go back to your idiot tenant /eviction thread and update us there??? LOVE reading about that as it's very educational.

  • Real Estate Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 300 posts · 277 votes
    12y

    @Eric Johnson I use Cbrowne, they are okay because they have a pretty good contract with an escape clauses and beneficial to the owner.I am big "the contract says this, so..." it works for me when they arent doing things right. It helps to send the staff christmas cards with starbucks giftcards in it. I heard the Premier Property Management is much better. If I ever left,

    @Nicole A. someone understands! :-)

    @Christina R -I always want to hear a good tenant story.

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    @Lisa Phillips - I'm familiar with Premier Property. Coincidently, I'm actually looking to purchase a property managed by them.

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 88 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    Hi @Eric Johnson! Is the Premier Property Management you referring to based in Laurel, MD? I've seen a couple companies with that name when I searched on Google.

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed - The company I'm talking about is located in Baltimore City.

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 88 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    @Eric Johnson

    @Eric JohnsonDoes this info below look correct for that company?

    3224 Belair Rd, Baltimore, MD 21213

    (410) 522-1078

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed Yes, that's correct.

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 88 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    Ok thanks @Eric Johnson !

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.