Any Good Property Managers in Baltimore, MD???

Any Good Property Managers in Baltimore, MD???

Real Estate Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 300 posts · 277 votes

Hello, I've been a part of this site for years, and I need some REI assistance. I am a little sick and tired of Baltimore, and I want to find a good property manager for my rental property there. My last PM made as much money as I did, and still couldnt keep a tenant in. If I can't find a good PM, I am going to sell the property, do a 1031 exchange, and purchase a new property in Richmond, VA. So, can anyone give me the name a GOOD property manager? Mind you, Im not stingy, but when you have so many fees - when you're doing your job and when you're not) that you make 2/3 of what I collect in a year, thats a problem. Mostly in baltimore, everyone wants a ton of money, even if they dont fill a vacancy, aren't responsive, etc. I tried to go to Angies' List, but the top rated Property Manager I just dumped, and the others immediately have negative reviews. Its forcing me to lower my standards. I tried to go through my RE agent, met a "Property Manager" then he had some other guy called me who was more expensive than my last baltimore PM. This new guy had a clause that if my house was vacant for 4 months, i have to pay HIM $750. I mean, getting paid even if they dont do their job.

Any leads before i just say I can't find a good, solid team up here and I sell????

You're help is greatly appreciated at this point.

Lisa

4Reply
116 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Sparks Glencoe, MD · Member since 2012 · 28 posts · 14 votes
13y

I own rental properties (and know others who do as well) in Baltimore City and Baltimore County and the only thing we consistently complain about is the property taxes in the city versus the county. That being said prices are cheaper in the city and you get better rent per purchase ratios.

As for Baltimore City being responsive I guess they could be better but I have never had a huge problem getting anything done. The hardest part was contacting the correct department to address my problem.

Another interesting thing is that you need a rental license in Baltimore County before you can legally rent the property. This will put you back a couple hundred bucks and it needs to be renewed every 3 years. Just a money maker for the county. In Baltimore City no inspection is necessary other than lead paint if the property is older. Also a $30 a year registration is needed.

Lisa, it sounds like you have quite a bit of experience with crappy property managers. Mine is OK. I have to manage the PM company many times and check in with them but they do not charge the outrageous fees you describe. They charge 1 month's rent for finding a tenant and 8% of each rent check or $100 whichever is more. If I don't get a rent check or the property stays vacant, they don't get paid either. Also they found a tenant for me and had to evict them 4 months later. They apologized and found a tenant without charging me. I thought that was decent of them to do. If you want they contact information send me a private message.

Scott

See this reply in the discussion

76 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 300 posts · 277 votes
    9y

    Outside of Baltimore (Finally got rid of Cbrowne Property. Im not messy so wont be doing this publicly, so PM me if you want to know why), I HAVE a dream at my other properties. Communicates quickly, has explanations why the money is late, and generally treats my home and tenants with respect. Quick to call back, and knows how to properly handle evictions and emergencies without needing me in any way. That's my dream pm, which i have, outside of Baltimore. You guys? 

  • Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    I used C Brown for too long... I can guess why. Ugh!!! I switched to Blue Sky Realty LLC, owned by Sherry Williams a little over a year ago and its like night and day.

  • Towson, MD · Member since 2015 · 161 posts · 44 votes
    9y

    @Stephanie Walkes I just sent you a colleague request. Interested and speaking with you about your experience. Thanks!

  • Rafael BrownPro Member
    Ashburn VA · Member since 2014 · 57 posts · 7 votes
    9y
    Has anyone used Bay Management Group? Any thoughts positive experiences or should I run for the hills?
  • Lender · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    I think it if you are somewhat local and have the ability, it is always good to check out some of the local REIA's/landlord groups. Baltimore REIA has a landlord strategies group which is held on the 4th Monday of the month. This month's presenter is a well respected attorney who focuses on landlord/tenant issues. You'll get some great information there and there are property managers who attend.

  • Steve RozenbergPro Member
    Specialist · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    that is good / tough question. Being an active investor and then creating a management company because I could not find anyone that I felt was competent enough to manage my own portfolio makes me a bit biased even though I own my own company that manages over 700 homes.

    I would first say that you want to make sure your goals are the aligned with your management companies goals. and that the expectations are very clear and set from the beginning . I have seen many business deals and relationships go south all due to not having clear expectations of performance and lack of communication on both parties. You as an owner need to know what your role is and what the PM company expects of you and most definitely vice versa and what are their deliverables.

    When you want to make sure that your business goals align you have to ask the tough questions and see how well they run their business and how well do they know their numbers. Below are some questions I would think would be a good starting point for you to see who really treats their company like a business or a hobby and it will give you a good indication of how they are running their business... If they cannot answer these questions that could be a red flag to either dig deeper thru references or keep searching

    - What to Look for in a Property Management Company

    • I would look up NARPM and start with them...
    • make sure their business model aligns with yours
    • Be relationship not transactional
    • its a people business
    • Questions to Ask prospective management companies
    • What are your average days on market for vacant homes?
    • What is your average rent amount for all properties managed?
    • What is your average work order cost for the owner?
    • What is your average make ready cost for the owner?
    • Are all my invoices uploaded to my owner portal?
    • How do you advertise your vacant units?
    • Do I receive video of my pre and post make ready?
    • Do you have a setup fee?
    • Do you upcharge on maintenance?
    • When do you make owner payments? How often?
    • Are you a Certified Property Manager?
    • Are you a member of NARPM?
    • What is your Guarantee?
    • Do you provide move in and move out reports
    • How many pictures do you take of the property prior to tenant moves in and after the tenant moves out
    • Do you get weekly reports when the property is vacant what prospective tenants are saying about your home
    • Do you provide monthly newsletters to your tenants
    • Do you hold investor education classes to help me become a better investor
    • Do you have single point portfolio based management services?
    • How many properties do the owners actually own themselves?
    • What do you do to ensure that the tenant is responsible for security deposit disputes since that is the largest reason for owner lawsuits
    • How familiar are you with the newly changed laws that can affect you the owner if they are not used correctly?

    Good luck and happy hunting!!!

  • Irvine, CA · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    My wife and I have been using Staffordshire Realty for the past few years, and they have been phenomenal.  We had to move to California for work and were very skeptical of leaving our home to be managed by someone from 3000 miles away, but have found the staff and service to be outstanding.  They have found tenants quickly, taken care of any necessary repairs at reasonable costs, and dealt with some unforeseeably difficult renter issues with no headaches for us.  It's incredibly reassuring to not have to worry and know that they've got everything taken care of for us, and if we have any questions or concerns we can trust we'll get a rapid and thorough response.  

    Highly recommend you check them out - http://staffordshirerealty.com/

  • Real Estate Investor · Silver Spring, MD · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Hi Lisa,

    I know of a property management company that's based in MD; however, I'm not sure if the company services Baltimore City. Here's the website:

    http://www.perrydavis.co/zero-headache-landlording/

  • Developer · . · Member since 2014 · 520 posts · 162 votes
    8y

    I think there is a huge difference between Maryland (suburban Washington) and Baltimore.

  • Laurel, MD · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    I know quiet a few people who have been landlords in Baltimore City. Like any rental property you will have problems. I am rather amazed that my associate do their own property management and they are holding anywhere from 24 house up to 100+ houses.

    When buying in Baltimore City it is a block by block basis.

  • Developer · . · Member since 2014 · 520 posts · 162 votes
    8y
    I wish there was a way to file for late rent online.
  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Shadonna N. In Maryland, there is by using an eviction service. The one I used was MyRentCourt (website/company name). Yes, you pay a bit extra, but you can file online and a team handles the entire process for you from beginning to end. You can also call them with questions. They were always really helpful to me before I got a full-time PM.

  • Developer · . · Member since 2014 · 520 posts · 162 votes
    8y

    I actually meant a maryland.gov service where the owner can file and upload supporting documentation without a third party.  Rent court can be done through a Skype appointment.  Too much to ask?

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Yes, it is too much to ask for a gov't service to provide something that "techy" and convenient. =P

  • Laurel, MD · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Thank you Lisa Phillips for the vote!

  • Upper Marlboro, MD · Member since 2013 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Hello All,

    Any updates with quality property management companies. I just purchased my first investment property within Baltimore City and looking for some good references to start with.

    Thanks again

  • Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    8y

     I am an investor. I'll just leave you with a few tips!

    • Make sure you get a sample statement from whoever you interview
    • Make sure you fully read and understand their contract\agreement
    • Ask for a copy of their residential lease and review it and feel comfortable with it
    • It never hurts to ask questions and figure out where there's wiggle room in an agreement

    Best of luck!

  • Montgomery Village, MD · Member since 2018 · 28 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Lisa what will be your next move if changing markets from Baltimore? I heard your interview on BP Previously? Are their any good deals near the Harbor area? I have also been looking at various deals in Baltimore. I've also read that Baltimore will eventually be selling properties off for a dollar, with a incentive of having to live in them for 2yrs. I believe their will be some changes within the city in the next 5yrs.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Joppa, MD · Member since 2015 · 218 posts · 178 votes
    8y

    As a licensed Realtor and owner of a property management company also, I would advise you to ask for current owner references and be sure vet the manager thoroughly.  You specifically need to ask about the amount of experience they have.  There are a LOT of management companies popping up in the area and unfortunately, a lot of them were formed by people with little to no experience managing real property.  As an investor, the last thing you need is to place your investment in the hands of someone who is simply winging it...

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Don S:

    Hello All,

    Any updates with quality property management companies. I just purchased my first investment property within Baltimore City and looking for some good references to start with.

     I wrote a blog post about Baltimore Property managers.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/3225/42370-pro...

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by Rich text editorRich text editor@Stephanie Walkes:

    I used C Brown for too long... I can guess why. Ugh!!! I switched to Blue Sky Realty LLC, owned by Sherry Williams a little over a year ago and its like night and day.

     Best recommendation ever, Sherry is great and her fees are very reasonable compared to the others I found. Great communication, very professional, and very attentive when it comes to the tenants.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.