Any Good Property Managers in Baltimore, MD???

Any Good Property Managers in Baltimore, MD???

Real Estate Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 300 posts · 277 votes

Hello, I've been a part of this site for years, and I need some REI assistance. I am a little sick and tired of Baltimore, and I want to find a good property manager for my rental property there. My last PM made as much money as I did, and still couldnt keep a tenant in. If I can't find a good PM, I am going to sell the property, do a 1031 exchange, and purchase a new property in Richmond, VA. So, can anyone give me the name a GOOD property manager? Mind you, Im not stingy, but when you have so many fees - when you're doing your job and when you're not) that you make 2/3 of what I collect in a year, thats a problem. Mostly in baltimore, everyone wants a ton of money, even if they dont fill a vacancy, aren't responsive, etc. I tried to go to Angies' List, but the top rated Property Manager I just dumped, and the others immediately have negative reviews. Its forcing me to lower my standards. I tried to go through my RE agent, met a "Property Manager" then he had some other guy called me who was more expensive than my last baltimore PM. This new guy had a clause that if my house was vacant for 4 months, i have to pay HIM $750. I mean, getting paid even if they dont do their job.

Any leads before i just say I can't find a good, solid team up here and I sell????

You're help is greatly appreciated at this point.

Lisa

4Reply
115 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Sparks Glencoe, MD · Member since 2012 · 28 posts · 14 votes
13y

I own rental properties (and know others who do as well) in Baltimore City and Baltimore County and the only thing we consistently complain about is the property taxes in the city versus the county. That being said prices are cheaper in the city and you get better rent per purchase ratios.

As for Baltimore City being responsive I guess they could be better but I have never had a huge problem getting anything done. The hardest part was contacting the correct department to address my problem.

Another interesting thing is that you need a rental license in Baltimore County before you can legally rent the property. This will put you back a couple hundred bucks and it needs to be renewed every 3 years. Just a money maker for the county. In Baltimore City no inspection is necessary other than lead paint if the property is older. Also a $30 a year registration is needed.

Lisa, it sounds like you have quite a bit of experience with crappy property managers. Mine is OK. I have to manage the PM company many times and check in with them but they do not charge the outrageous fees you describe. They charge 1 month's rent for finding a tenant and 8% of each rent check or $100 whichever is more. If I don't get a rent check or the property stays vacant, they don't get paid either. Also they found a tenant for me and had to evict them 4 months later. They apologized and found a tenant without charging me. I thought that was decent of them to do. If you want they contact information send me a private message.

Scott

See this reply in the discussion

76 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2014 · 34 posts · 11 votes
    12y

    I'd like to follow up on this thread, currently I am in the market for a good PM in Baltimore City.

    @Lisa Phillips  How is your PM company so far?

    @Account Closed Did you go with Premier?  How do you like them?

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 88 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    @Mike Fiorese  I'm still hoping to purchase my first property soon, so I have not used a PM yet.

  • Investor · Washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2012 · 239 posts · 168 votes
    12y

    No offense to any managers reading this, but in my experience managers suck. Try to do without one.

    I have had nothing but trouble with the two property managers I've had the misfortune of dealing with, one after the other. Both did inferior repairs on the house and would not fix what they had messed up. I paid twice for many of their repairs, hiring other contractors to fix up their mistakes.

    Horror stories: My most recent ex-manager's rental agent mistakenly told a prospective tenant that there was CAC in the unit; this started the relationship on a distrustful note, and the tenant later put rent in escrow over issues she could not get resolved. In another property the same rental agent placed a felon, who proceeded to not pay rent until we succeeded in getting her out.

    The manager and staff also treated the tenants with contempt. Both the tenant and I called several times requesting they fix something in the bathroom. Neither of us got a response. I had to walk into the office and show my face to get the staff to pick up a phone and call their contractor. I wound up hiring someone else anyway.

    I would suggest that you develop relationships a few good local do-all contractors that you can call for help in an emergency. Expand your contractor contacts by getting references with your colleagues. You will have much better control over the property and your wallet without a manager.

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    @Nancy Roth  Do you care to cite the two property managers you had issues with?

  • Investor · Washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2012 · 239 posts · 168 votes
    12y

    Hi, no, not mentioning any names, lest I set myself up for a libel lawsuit. Just trying to help potential investors to see another perspective.

    Tyrus, I plan to manage my own properties from here in, thanks.

  • Real Estate Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 300 posts · 277 votes
    12y

    @Mike Fiorese  Hi Mike! In Baltimore, I used to use HMJ Management, but I had to file a BBB complaint and an Angie's List complaint with him. I also filed with the Attorney Generals Office and the Maryland Real Estate Board commission. Needless to say, I learned my lesson, and he removed all traces of his business from Angie's list. My current management team is Cbrowne. I give them a B+. I have to follow up more than I like, but about 8 times out of 10 they work with me on getting pics of work, trying to get more estimates, extra more complete requests, etc, so I give them a break when they fall through on the 2 out of 10 times. Their accounting software needs to improve, but the accountant DOES send me a personalize email when my deposit is coming. All in all, They aren't perfect, and need more of administrative assistant, but when I open my mouth and ask (squeaky wheel), I usually get what I need from them promptly. And they return calls, etc, and all that jazz. I am going on 2 years with them. They send me good tenants too.

    @Nancy Roth  I have had good managers, great managers, fair managers, and terrible, shady, theiving managers. I would never tell a new investor to completely write them off unless they have the time and ability to manage a tenant themselves, as well as an easy and close neighborhood. Those are all factors that should be taken into account before saying whether someone should or shouldn't get a property manager. However, there are lessons to be learned, so instead of saying a new investor shouldn't get a manager, why not say they should really educate themselves on how to properly screen a property manager, just as much as you would suggest they research on how to properly screen a tenant. There is a level of skill development that is needed for both, in my opinion. On my site, I have a 15 min video that lists the questions you should/can ask if you are hiring a manager, and you can add your own, but they do tell you whether or not you should go with them or not. In fact, I have a beautifully wonderful manager in Richmond that treats the property as their own, and I have 2 other ones that I can work with in order to not have to drive 45 minutes away per issue (in other case, they're in OH), or take time from work to deal with any issues that may arise or send notices or file in court.  However, if you were to write explaining in detail how if they don't get a property manager, how you have successfully done this so we can learn, that can be extremely beneficial to all of us, even myself who is a huge pro-manager investor for many extremely valid reasons.

    Lisa

  • Richmond, VA · Member since 2013 · 293 posts · 96 votes
    12y
    Hey Lisa Phillips , Just out of curiosity, who are you using in Richmond?
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    12y

    @Tyrus Shivers  Is a Property Manager in Baltimore. I haven't used his PM services but many of us here from Baltimore know him from the BWI meetup and I trust him.

  • Investor · Washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2012 · 239 posts · 168 votes
    12y

    @Lisa Phillips, hi. I admire your videos, and learn a lot from them. You are a thoughtful and talented educator.

    But please let me fine-tune your reading of my comments. I would never advise someone to drive all those miles and fix everything with their own hands. I couldn't do that myself.

    I suggested that the property owner develop positive, ongoing business relationships with a few multi-skilled local contractors, whom the owner can call in an emergency. That way the owner monitors and follows up on the crisis and hopefully prevents it happening again. 

    What's more, the contractors the owner hires are accountable to the owner alone. This is very important. I found that the contractors sent by the property manager were beholden to him, b/c he was the one who gave them work. They were not at all available or accountable to me for what they did in my property. Or, should I say, TO my property.

    Yes, when you call your own contractor, you are forced to keep tabs on what's going on with the property, more so than if you have hired a manager. Some owners prefer this, and I don't judge them. But personally I find it responsible and healthy to stay on top of your properties.

    BTW I was advised to try this no-manager approach by a number of experienced local landlords, who use it themselves.

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 605 posts · 103 votes
    12y

    @Nancy Roth  I would agree with you because I think most property managers will never truly take care of your property better than you would.  You have a vested interest in keeping things running smoothly and maintaining the tenants' happiness.  The PM may not care as much or may have too may other properties to manage.  I guess you can always try self-managing and then if you find a really great property manager have them take over one of your properties and see how that goes.

  • Investor · Washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2012 · 239 posts · 168 votes
    12y

    One more thing, then I'll quit yakking. I didn't start out so cynical and disillusioned about management. When I bought my first property two years ago I assumed that I would need the support of a local manager. My business model (to the limited extent I had any) factored in the expense.

    Only with great difficulty and reluctance did I finally recognize this past spring how very badly I had fared (and my properties and tenants had fared) under the supervision of the first manager, and still later, under the second manager. I believe the problems created by my managers far outweighed the problems they solved.

    This self-management strategy, supported by contractors that I know and trust, is a new one for me. I cannot claim I've been successful with it, so I urge anyone considering the alternatives to take my advice with a grain of salt.

    But should you choose to enter a relationship with a manager, better keep your eyes and mind open, and be prepared to bail out quickly. You may find that the relationship is costing you far more than you figured in your spreadsheet.

  • Real Estate Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 300 posts · 277 votes
    12y

    @Jon Deavers  Hi Jon. I use Natalia Covington at Calista Realty. She's my PM and is AMAZING, treats the place like her own. Her mother is actually the contractor who does all work and repairs, and the jobs they did were low cost, and high quality. Those two women pack a punch together. I found her initially through a BBB listing for Richmond. She get's a giftcard at christmas, although I should probably up my game more than that, she's that good.

    @Nancy Roth  Just because I 100% believe in using a PM to make your work in real estate investing hands free, doesn't mean that everyone should or shouldn't do it. As mentioned, when giving advice its most helpful to have the nuances and different factors that determine whether or not one should add them. I have had bad experiences, but I can absolutely say, that the more my skills increased in vetting and screening PMs, the less headaches  I've encounter.

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 205 posts · 44 votes
    12y

    @Lisa Phillips 

    Baltimore is one of the most rude and unprofessional places. Baltimore is only about 35-40 minutes away from D.C., but its a whole different culture. Your dealings with Baltimore are the normal. Seems that you really got introduced to the city. Everybody does have their hands out especially the city government.

        Been trying to set a higher standard in Baltimore with my properties and lifestyle. It's a hard road to push. Taking a step back and looking for a PM also.

    Thank you for this post.

  • Real Estate Solutions Provider · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 571 posts · 452 votes
    11y

    Thanks everyone for this post! Packed with good information and diverse perspectives.

    @Nancy Roth how has the self managing w/trustworthy contractors been working? If you would recommend these guys please pm me their information.

    @Lisa Phillips Thank you for starting this thread. I recently had an epiphany and realized that rentals are the way to go to create passive income. My biggest fear is managing the properties. In the short time I have been in business I have learned that it is better to have resources lined up before you actually need them whether that be pms, contractors, agents, buyers, attorney, accountants, pretty much the whole team. I have dealt with all of which you have dealt with as far as dealing with city agencies. It can be painful. But I treat the good city employees with thank you cards and holiday cards similar to what you do for good pms. There is a point after receiving such horrible service from so many departments/people that I am really grateful and appreciative of the individual that values and respects my time. Do you still have your property in Baltimore? If so, how has the relationship been with your pm as of lately?

    E. Harris

  • Real Estate Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 300 posts · 277 votes
    11y

    @Eric H.

    Same as always in Baltimore. They, and my RIchmond VA, are way better than my OH ones. I still give cbrowne a B+, as they take a little longer than they should to respond, and they still need to add an extra set of hands.

    And, thank you cards to city workers in Baltimore...well...I dont know if i am there yet.

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    11y
    Lisa Phillips your assessment of those working for baltimore city is 100 percent correct. The hiring policies are a form of welfare for the largely unemployable. Why do u think the city is consistently horrid? Starts from the top down. Did u know that janitors qualify for a pension? Management is the key to victory in renting here. THE KEY. I manage my own properties in the city with a staff i employ and have trained. They do everything how i want when i want. I would suggest to anyone managing themselves to know what is required from a legit pm
  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 71 posts · 18 votes
    11y

    Hi all.

    My question to all who self-manage is: while repairs and maintenance are a big part of owning rentals, what about the other major part which is getting tenants and dealing with tenants. Whether you go section 8 or not, what processes do you have in place to make that easier for yourself in this town?

  • Real Estate Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 300 posts · 277 votes
    10y

    Well,

    I had a good run with Cbrowne, but I am now on a search for a new management team! Will advise who I find, and why, in a few. Thanks!

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    10y

    @Lisa Phillips ...try contacting fellow BP member @Account Closed includes Seth on his list of best property managers in Baltimore.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/3225/blog_posts/42370-property-mangers-in-baltimore

  • Real Estate Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 300 posts · 277 votes
    10y

    @Russell Brazil  Great posts! I dont think I would have found it without you digging it up :-)


    Lisa

  • Investor · DMV Maryland · Member since 2013 · 867 posts · 370 votes
    10y

    @Lisa Phillips

    per the link list Russell posted above - Denise just did tenant placement for my first unit and @Tyrus Shivers is managing it.

    I had no idea @Account Closed does property management -Ned is spot on that Seth knows a LOT about the bloated machine that is B'more city government and it's related processes.  I think any of the three would be very helpful for you.  

    Curious as to what at CBrowne peetered out for you  on the management front...

  • Developer · . · Member since 2014 · 520 posts · 162 votes
    10y

    Following this thread.  I spoke to CB, seems like they are really busy.  Hoping that explains the communication issues.

  • Investor · Damascus, MD · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 10 votes
    9y
    Lisa Phillips are you saying that if you sell the property after 4 months of the tenant leaving the property management company gets 6% of the brokerage and commission on sale?
  • Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    If you guys could build your dream PM company - what would it realistically look like?

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    9y
    Brad Blickenstaff doing your job correctly and entirely, not nickel and diming owners to death, being accountable for errors. Aka...only what self managing can give you.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.