Bought new MFH Unit, the last remaining tenant moved out

Bought new MFH Unit, the last remaining tenant moved out

Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 360 posts · 354 votes

I just purchased a 3-unit property in a Metro Detroit Suburb in Wayne County, 4/1/2019.  The tenant dodge for the first 10 days of the month, then said they were moving out.

The property appears abandoned, but some personal items has been left.  I have changed the locks on the other units and entries, should I change the locks on the now vacated unit.  The "former" tenant is not responding to calls or text messages for the last week.

I have never dealt with this as I have typically bought properties empty, or tenants have negotiated in good-faith for an exit, and paid appropriately.

How do I handled this because I wish to start renovations.

0Reply
12 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    I recommend you talk to an eviction attorney to verify.  

    Do you have written (email / text) confirmation from them that they are moving out?  If so, I think you can take possession of the unit and throw out whatever they left.  If you want to be safe, keep anything they left for a while in case they come back for it.

    If all you had was verbal comment that they are leaving, you may need to go to court for possession of the unit so that you can legally throw out the items they left.

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Joseph, MI · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 21 votes
    7y

    Is there an abandonment clause in the lease you inherited? Sometimes there is. 

  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 360 posts · 354 votes
    7y

    @Greg Scott I have text messages they were leaving and dodging paying

    @Chris Kelch There was no, lease. The tenant said he was paying in cash.  Which I said I take, money order, cashier check, mail, epay at Bank of America, direct deposit at BOA, CashApp, Venmo.

    The next day he said he was moving out.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.