Lawton Rental Market

Lawton Rental Market

Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 6 votes

I live in OKC, but I'm considering investing in Lawton. However, I am not really familiar with the area. Any investors holding property in Lawton? How's the rental market there? Specifically, how is demand? Any trouble with vacancy? 

I worry a little bit that the only major employers/reasons to live in Lawton are the Fort Sill AFB and Cameron University, so if for some reason they close the base, the town population/tenant pool will drastically fall. Any other large employers there?

Also, are there decent property managers in Lawton?

Lastly, as for exit strategy, in 3-5 yrs, when I'm ready to sell my property, are there many interested buyers of MFH's?

Lots of questions, I know. Thanks in advance for your help!

0Reply
304 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Consultant · San Antonio TX Canyon Lake TX Fort Walton Beach FL Cape Coral FL Clarksville TN Sumter SC and Lawton, OK · Member since 2008 · 138 posts · 128 votes
6y

I love this market--other major employer is Goodyear for instance.  Margins are great.  Strategic partnering in this market is needed so you can maintain quality of services, and an eye on everything.  Overlaid with the economic zones this is a great opportunity market.  I am getting houses at 5-20 bucks a sq foot...  The legal marijuana business is bringing money into the city bit by bit.  

More for your consideration:

The following are links to information that the savvy investor would need to combine investment tactics and techniques to generate high yielding ROI. It considers the offensive and defensive virtues of the tax code, and real estate investing. Offensive virtues are equity capture on the buy, rent, forced appreciation on the renovation, appreciation on the hold, principal pay down as the loan amortizes and the conversion of cash to a physical hard asset to prevent losing buying power as cash sits in an interest bearing account that is outpaced by inflation. The defensive virtues are the depreciation and tax code benefits allotted for investing in incentivized areas and / or using vehicles like Self Directed IRAs that can defer tax liability indefinitely and wash it entirely upon your passing as the monies flow to your children or loved ones.

Economic Incentive Zones: https://eig.org/opportunityzones

More on economic incentive zones: https://taxfoundation.org/opportunity-zones-what-we-know-and-what-we-dont/

IRS FAQs on incentive zones: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/opportunity-zones-frequently-asked-questions

IRA data on the 9.8 trillion stored in IRAs: https://www.ici.org/faqs/faq/Individual-Retirement-Accounts-(IRAs)-FAQs/ci.faqs_iras.print

Self Directed IRA: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/self-directed-ira.asp

Hot Market Data: https://www.zillow.com/lawton-ok/home-values/

https://www.movoto.com/lawton-ok/market-trends/

Market Analysis: https://www.littlebighomes.com/real-estate-lawton.html

Housing Data: https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ok/lawton/real-estate

Dated (2015) market data from HUD: https://www.huduser.gov/portal/publications/pdf/LawtonOK-comp-15.pdf

Oklahoma Senator that chairs the armed services committee: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Inhofe

See this reply in the discussion

74 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lawton, OK · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @Dakota Lee Welcome to the Lawton market. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Thanks @Sterlin Phillips. Looking forward to it. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Tommy thanks! I appreciate the help. She reached out and I’m pumped to get into the new(for me at least) market there. I’ll check your site out too!

  • Real Estate Consultant · San Antonio TX Canyon Lake TX Fort Walton Beach FL Cape Coral FL Clarksville TN Sumter SC and Lawton, OK · Member since 2008 · 138 posts · 128 votes
    5y

    Sounds Good Keri has gained some hellacious numbers and best yet family is military 

  • Rental Property Investor · Thornton, CO · Member since 2021 · 19 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    Hey guys,

    just wanted to jump on the tread, my wife and I are just getting started ourselves and looking to do it in Lawton. I'm prior service and she is in the reserves. I've been to sill a few times from basic to SLC. We are excited to get started and gain some experience. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · San Antonio TX Canyon Lake TX Fort Walton Beach FL Cape Coral FL Clarksville TN Sumter SC and Lawton, OK · Member since 2008 · 138 posts · 128 votes
    5y

    Hey Kenny!   Been investing there since 2008.  30 years total.  Reach out if you need help.  I have a good property mgr there and she helps me find deals as well.  There is also a Lawton Real Estate Investors Association (LREIA) subgroup on Facebook.  Hit me up if you want the referral!  

    https://www.facebook.com/group...

  • Lawton, OK · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Hey @Kenny Hardcastle! Welcome! As @Tommy Ray join the local FB group and let us know if we can assist in any way. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Thornton, CO · Member since 2021 · 19 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    Hey Tommy, 

    Thanks for the welcome. Yeah we would definitely take a referral to a good PM, especially if they can help us understand if it's a good deal. 

    I don't have a Facebook, but I'll see if my wife wants to join for us. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · San Antonio TX Canyon Lake TX Fort Walton Beach FL Cape Coral FL Clarksville TN Sumter SC and Lawton, OK · Member since 2008 · 138 posts · 128 votes
    5y

    1301 NW Gore--580-355-3355 (Tiffany Walker).  Tell her I sent you!

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2020 · 52 posts · 42 votes
    5y

    Hello everyone! I'll be moving to Lawton at the end of this month and wanted to pop my head in and say hi. I'm new to investing, but plan on starting my first deal this fall, but hopefully sooner.

  • Homeowner · Abington, MA · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 29 votes
    5y

    Just wanted to pop in and see if anyone could assist me. I've been here a couple of weeks and have been driving around. There's plenty of potential in certain areas, but I've been having a lackluster experience with finding agents who actually work. I was stood up today by an agent, which is interesting as I've seldom beat an agent to a showing.

    Does anyone have a reputable agent they can refer me to?

    Also looked around for PM's but the ones I could find all had lackluster reviews.

    Any direction would be helpful, also willing to partner with someone if anyone is interested as I'll be leaving here in about a month but still see plenty of growth in the area, if anyone cared to put in a bit of effort.

    -John

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 71 posts · 13 votes
    5y

    John  , try  Lawrence Hargrove with Keller Williams  , he is always availabe and communicates well  , i have been using him for a year now  , did already 4 or 5 transactions   , 

    Lawrence P. Hargrave

    Keller Williams Realty Elite

    Real Estate Professional

    SW Oklahoma Region

    C: 580-647-3245

  • Homeowner · Abington, MA · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 29 votes
    5y

    @Richard Damian

    Thanks for the contact information

  • Investor · Oklahoma City and Tulsa, OK · Member since 2014 · 111 posts · 45 votes
    5y

    @John Kaspar we wholesale a few deals in Lawton and just recently landed a couple deals there. If interested lets connect.

  • Lawton, OK · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @John Kaspar let us know how we can help in anyway. 

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Hi, Tommy Ray is bringing a team up that way today to do some Real Estate networking. Introduce people to each other, talk about the Lawton market, share perspectives, and see what is doable in terms of strategies, tactics in investing and vendor screening w/I Comanche county, Oklahoma. We can also talk lenders, rates, and ways to manipulate financing and equity to get more bang for your buck. Interested in coming out to play? This is happening today at noon at Lowe's on Cash. You can text Tommy 210-573-2538 The market is on an unsustainable run. This is the best time to organize, train, and equip a coalition of the willing to take action when the market melts down....

  • Real Estate Consultant · San Antonio TX Canyon Lake TX Fort Walton Beach FL Cape Coral FL Clarksville TN Sumter SC and Lawton, OK · Member since 2008 · 138 posts · 128 votes
    5y

    Los Tres Amigos on cache st, Lawton OK at 12 pm if anyone wants to come out and talk real estate investing!

  • Rental Property Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2018 · 353 posts · 79 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Richard Damian:

    John  , try  Lawrence Hargrove with Keller Williams  , he is always availabe and communicates well  , i have been using him for a year now  , did already 4 or 5 transactions   , 

    Lawrence P. Hargrave

    Keller Williams Realty Elite

    Real Estate Professional

    SW Oklahoma Region

    C: 580-647-3245


     You have his email?

  • Rental Property Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2018 · 353 posts · 79 votes
    2y
    Quote from @John Plumstead:

    I've got properties in Lawton. and I'll buy your MF for the right price. Let me know if you'd like to chat. 


     Let me know.  Looking to buy in Lawton.

  • Rental Property Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2018 · 353 posts · 79 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tommy Ray:

    Hey Kenny!   Been investing there since 2008.  30 years total.  Reach out if you need help.  I have a good property mgr there and she helps me find deals as well.  There is also a Lawton Real Estate Investors Association (LREIA) subgroup on Facebook.  Hit me up if you want the referral!  

    https://www.facebook.com/group...


     Who is the property manager?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.