Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y
I am licensed in CA. A broker can join MLS as just a member for MLS and not be a Board of Realtors member. Every Board has their rules, and you just have to play by their rules.
NAR is just a national association. That's how you get the "Realtor" designation when signing the ethics agreement.
But, to get the MLS access, you either have to join a local board and pay annual dues, or pay a subscription service if the area doesn't have a board associated MLS. Not all services require their members to be NAR or board members.
Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y
I am licensed in CA. A broker can join MLS as just a member for MLS and not be a Board of Realtors member. Every Board has their rules, and you just have to play by their rules.
Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
@Adrian Chu I do not think you can be a member of a local association without paying dues to the NAR. If you are looking at a fee sheet, the option not to pay national dues is only for people that are a members of another local association also.
Lewis Center, OH · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
8y
Here in Ohio and in other markets I’ve worked you can establish a relationship with a realtor. Next, you can ask the realtor to get you access to MLS. Here in Columbus Ohio I think it’s considered being a MLS master user. It cost between $30-$40 every three months. Their is a document you’ll need to get from the board of realtors that your agents broker needs to sign off on for you to get this access. Once you get it I’m pretty sure you can do everything except list a property. My partners have it in AZ and we have it in the Columbus Ohio Board. FYI use that agent as much as possible and I always paid the fee. I’m sure they could shut you off at anytime.
Here in Ohio and in other markets I've worked you can establish a relationship with a realtor. Next, you can ask the realtor to get you access to MLS. Here in Columbus Ohio I think it's considered being a MLS master user. It cost between $30-$40 every three months. Their is a document you'll need to get from the board of realtors that your agents broker needs to sign off on for you to get this access. Once you get it I'm pretty sure you can do everything except list a property. My partners have it in AZ and we have it in the Columbus Ohio Board. FYI use that agent as much as possible and I always paid the fee. I'm sure they could shut you off at anytime.
You have to be unlicensed assistant to get the access to MLS.
If your agent got you access to MLS and lied about the nature of your relationship, he/she can lose the license. It's too expensive to risk
You don't have to be a member of Association of Realtors, but you pay more for MLS access (+$140/year)
Lewis Center, OH · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
8y
I know no one lied. I spoke with the broker and the board personally. To get this accomplished. We were comping 100’s of properties a week and this took the burden off of our realtor. So he was able to do the job hired todo which was sell our homes. In return for his hard work we paid the 6% on every deal. Im sure no rules were broken. We are not in the business to put people at risk. $30-$40 every three months is around $140 a year. It maybe different in Cleveland’s Board as well. Thanks for the feedback.
Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y
@Account Closed that's incorrect. You can belong to MLS only, and not be a member of NAR, at least in California. That's why it is important to talk to your local association, as there's as many options as there are associations. However; if your broker is a member as a "Realtor", then you probably have to join as one too. Either way, go talk to your local board.