Sunriver - Bend - La Pine OREGON - Let's plan a meetup!!

Sunriver - Bend - La Pine OREGON - Let's plan a meetup!!

Karen MargraveBusiness Member
Moderator
Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes

Hi everyone!! For those that don't  know who I am, I am Karen Margrave. I've been a moderator on BP for several years, having become obsessed with the site in 2010 or so. I was living in Orange County CA and we were building spec new construction for several years. After the loss of my husband, my son (and business partner) and I decided to relocate our business to a new area; and moved to Oregon. We're just starting out, getting to know the areas, types of niches (of which there are many!) etc. My niece, and BP member, @Christine Larsen is a real estate broker in Sunriver, and knows every piece of real estate, and more important, every dirt road around so that makes it so much easier for us. For me... thank God for GPS!! 

I know there's several BP members in the Bend, Sunriver, La Pine, Redmond areas in various niches. I'd like to plan a meet up where we can all get together and see what we can do to help each other grow, and talk about the local markets. Since I'm relatively new to the area, and it's quite spread out, let's see where the greatest number of people are located, and then decide on where to do a meetup. 

I'm thinking it will be after the 1st of the year, due to all the holiday commitments everyone usually has. 

WEIGH IN ... Introduce yourself, where are you located, what type of investing are you doing or interested in, etc. Tag anyone else you know in the area that may be interested too. 

Tags: Oregon, vacation rental, 2nd home, deschutes, oregon new construction, mt. bachelor, RV, tiny homes,  airbnb, 

4Reply
126 views

Most Popular Reply

Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
Moderator
Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y

Hi @Karen Margrave 

This is a great idea. I'm actually up in the Seattle area now but I'm from Bend and have been following the market/considering investing there as well. 

Depending on when this is I'd love to try to make it down. If you are interested in having someone speak on Taxes for REI since it's that time of year let me know as well :)

See this reply in the discussion

111 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Sisters, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    tacos, real estate, and beer count me in.  I’ll call them up and reserve that back room.  

  • Investor · Bend, OR · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    Still aiming for 5:30? or do you want to make it earlier to catch the happy hour? I could make 5 work. 

  • Ian BergPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Bend, OR · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    I'm in. 

  • Bend, OR · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    I will be there if I don't have to travel that week. Reading through the thread it looks like February 1st @ 5:30 @ Broken Top Bottle Shop.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sisters, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Cool it is set for 530 PM at the BTBS in the backroom,  Everyone is welcome so spread the word.

    Hope to see you all there!

  • Real Estate Agent · Sisters, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I should have confirmed February 1st thats a Thursday, at 530 PM.  

  • Bend, OR · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 15 votes
    8y
    Count me in!
  • Bend, OR · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    I would love to attend!  Thanks for organizing.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    @Ian Saingarm  @Grayson Graham  Sounds like you two are like minded. Can you PLEASE set it up? I really don't know my way around Bend at all, but had some members contact me wanting to get a Meetup together, and thought it might be fun.  Once you have a date and time let us know. I'll put it on the events forum too. If you can't do it, let me know. Please @mention me when you post, somehow I didn't get a notification on the forum post. THANKS. 

  • Grayson GrahamPro Member
    Investor · Bend, OR · Member since 2015 · 83 posts · 51 votes
    8y

    It sounds like @Eric Bilderback already made the reservation. I plan on getting there a bit early to enjoy happy hour and help with any setup. If theres anything else i can do, my number is in my signature. See you all on the 1st!

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    @Eric Bilderback Thanks for taking the ball and running with it. 

    The meetup is :  February 1 at 5:30  Broken Top Bottle Shop

    @Eric Bilderback @Alison Fountain@Brooke Garcia @Grayson Graham @Glynn Griffith @Grant Hamlin @Erik Hammagren @Eric H. @Teal Horsman @Natalie Kolodij @Ian Saingarm @Paul Singer @Jessica Swagerty @Jacob Wathen  @Christine Larsen

    and others! 

    Eric is there any charge for the space or everyone just needs to support the business by purchasing drinks, food, etc.? 

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    @Jeremy Edson   @Adriel Liwag  Hope you can make it. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Sisters, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I’m looking forward to it.  Nobody needs to bring anything except their good company and beer money

  • Registered Representative · Bend, OR · Member since 2018 · 91 posts · 38 votes
    8y

    I will be there - keep me in the loop on future events.  I'm happy to help coordinate spaces as well.  Any time you want to all hear a talk about 1031 exchanges I can attempt to bore you to death :)

  • Specialist · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 165 posts · 88 votes
    8y

    I want be in town that week but I hope I can join you guys for the next one. Enjoy and thanks for the invite @Karen Margrave.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    Maybe we should just plan for the 1st Thursday of month, same time, same place?  Thoughts? 

  • Rob SchumacherPro Member
    Specialist · OR (oregon) · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    BTBS sounds good. Count me in too.
  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    @Eric Bilderback  FIRST OFF, THE MEETUP IS NOT CANCELLED. Though, I have the flu, and don't want to spread it around so won't be there. Is there any way you can just head this up tomorrow night? I was really looking forward to meeting some other BP members! It's basically a meetup so that everyone can get acquainted. Then let's do another for the 1st Thursday of March, same time and place? 

    What does everyone think on format? just keep it a mixer or would you want to have different people give a short informational talk on their niche, such as @Account Closed on 1031 exchanges, etc. ? 

    What other niches are people in? 

    Once again everyone, my apologies for not being able to make it. 

  • La Pine, OR · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Is the get together cancelled for tonight?

  • Grayson GrahamPro Member
    Investor · Bend, OR · Member since 2015 · 83 posts · 51 votes
    8y

    @Glynn Griffith No the get together is not cancelled. Unfortunately Karen cant come tonight but i believe everyone else is still planning to attend. I will 100% be there by 5:30, hopefully sooner.

    @Karen Margrave I hope you feel better soon. I think making this event every first Thursday of the month is a GREAT idea, I will bring that up at the meetup tonight. 

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    Thank you Grayson! I think when it's on a set day, time, etc. it makes it much easier to build on. 

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    MEET UP IS STILL ON FOR TONIGHT .... I just can't make it. Those of you that can ... PLEASE GO!!  and let's do the  same thing the first Thursday of March, same time and place (if it's open) HAVE FUN everyone. 

    @Eric Bilderback @Alison Fountain @Brooke Garcia @Glynn Griffith @Grant Hamlin @Erik Hammagren @Eric H. @Teal Horsman @Natalie Kolodij @Ian Saingarm @Rob Schumacher @Paul Singer @Jessica Swagerty @Account Closed  

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    Aside from getting @Account Closed to speak to us on 1031 exchanges, maybe we can find someone that can come talk at another meetup, on IRA's that are designed specifically for investing in real estate? I know some have a little more leeway than others, or maybe it's just finding a company that understands it well enough. I think the trick is keeping the presentation to no longer than 30 minutes or less. Thoughts?

  • Investor · Bend, OR · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    I think having a monthly meeting is a great idea! 

  • Grayson GrahamPro Member
    Investor · Bend, OR · Member since 2015 · 83 posts · 51 votes
    8y

    Last night was great, Im really excited about making this a regular thing!

    I just sent out the spreadsheet of the sign-in form to everyone who signed in. My goal is that we can use these sign-in forms to easily follow up and network with each other after the meetups. 

    If you signed in last night but didn't get my email, that means that I transcribed your handwritten email address incorrectly from the sign-in form. Please let me know so that I can update the spreadsheet with your correct info!

    At the meetup last night i distributed flyers with a Google Calendar link. Anyone can add events to this calendar as long as they dont conflict with existing events. Im the admin so i can remove events if it gets spammy. My goal with this calendar is that people can sync it with their own personal calendars for automatic reminders about future events. Here is the link: http://goo.gl/Bt455Q 

    Should we start a new thread each month, or continue using this one?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.