Beginner to the world of real estate

Beginner to the world of real estate

New to Real Estate · TX · Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Hello all, I live in a kind of rural part of Texas where the closest big city is Tyler, TX. I'm putting this out here because I want to try my hand at rental investments. I'm new to all this so I still don't know everything there is to buying a property and was wondering if anyone lived near the area could offer some advice or some experiences you might have had starting out or maybe even some tips to help a rookie like me start out? I just want to start learning more about this field and see where I can start out.

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 248 posts · 240 votes
5y

Congratulations on finding BP! You have come to the right place for real estate investing information. The basics of real estate investing are not geography specific. Have you gone through the bookstore? It's a great place to start. Most are available on Audible. If listening to the BP podcast is not your thing check out the episodes available on YouTube. BP also offers webinars on how to get started. Just hover over the education tab. If your goal is to meet with people in person search the forums for an REI meet-up near you.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 248 posts · 240 votes
    5y

    Congratulations on finding BP! You have come to the right place for real estate investing information. The basics of real estate investing are not geography specific. Have you gone through the bookstore? It's a great place to start. Most are available on Audible. If listening to the BP podcast is not your thing check out the episodes available on YouTube. BP also offers webinars on how to get started. Just hover over the education tab. If your goal is to meet with people in person search the forums for an REI meet-up near you.

  • Corey GrantPro Member
    Investor · Livingston, TX · Member since 2016 · 66 posts · 17 votes
    5y

    Rob's comments are spot-on.  I would echo his idea to listen to the Wednesday night webinars!  They are free and give very practical training on how to look at houses for sale and break it down to see if it is a good deal or not.

    -corey

  • Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2020 · 309 posts · 184 votes
    5y

    @Bryan Salvador -  Welcome to the BP forums!  I agree with @Rob Lee  - get a BP book (either from here or from a local library) and go through it, pick something that you find interesting and really dive into it, try to understand not just skim over it.  keep a journal of things you don't understand and do forum searches here (or Youtube).  Attend some of the BP webinars that they offer for FREE each week - they aren't trying to sell you anything, it's just really good info.

    Also, set up some keyword alerts on here so you get notified when something you find interesting is being talked about (try: newbie, Texas, investing, financing, rural areas, rookie, first steps).  Welcome again to the world of real estate investing! Keep us updated on your journey!

  • Investor · Parker, CO · Member since 2016 · 550 posts · 389 votes
    5y

    @Bryan Salvador I'd say start local (or close to local). Start networking with other investors in your area and get to know some of the top Realtors in your area (maybe Tyler if there isn't much around you). Have an investor friendly Realtor start showing you potential properties within your criteria and price point and evaluate deals daily. Also, I'd recommend getting preapproved for a loan so you can be competitive when it comes time to making offers. The best education is actually doing deals; don't sit on the sidelines and just continue to live in analysis paralysis. 

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Welcome to BP! Real Estate is such a broad industry. You can invest anywhere as long as the numbers make sense. Lucky for you, you are in a state that is booming.

    I advise you to join real estate events in your area. This will help you learn from successful people. I will also link an article that implements steps to get started. I hope you find this helpful, and best of luck to you!

    https://learn.roofstock.com/bl...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.