REI Meetup in Morgantown?

REI Meetup in Morgantown?

Real Estate Agent · Morgantown, WV · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 41 votes

Hi everyone :) 

Pretty new here on BP and can't seem to find a REI group around Morgantown...Does anyone know of one!? Forums are great for many things, but sometimes there's just no substitution for chatting face-to-face. (If there's not one, I'd be willing to start one). Be sure to Tag a friend if you think they might know. 

TIA!

2Reply
258 views

Most Popular Reply

New to Real Estate · Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 19 votes
5y

I'm in Putnam County, but split time down in Charlotte as well. Obviously, logistics are an issue with a bunch of us being from all different locations in the state, but that doesn't mean we can't connect, chat, and who knows, maybe even work on some future deals together.

See this reply in the discussion

103 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Morgantown, WV · Member since 2016 · 43 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    @Connie Bhimireddy

    Hi Connie, 

    The closest one I know of is near Pittsburgh.  I've thought about attending, but a 2-3 hour round trip plus the time at the meet-up just is not appealing on a weeknight. 

    I would be interested in a REI group. There are a few other members from the Morgantown/Fairmont area, perhaps they would be as well.

  • Investor · Morgantown, WV · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Hi Connie, I'm here in Morgantown, WV too, and do not know of any REI groups, although I will admit that I have not done much research on the matter... That being said, I'd be interested in meeting from time to time if something was setup. I'm not fully submerged in real estate but am a part-time investor with a few rental properties.

  • Self Employed · Carmichaels, PA · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    I would also be interested, being a rental property owner in Morgantown.

  • Real Estate Agent · Morgantown, WV · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    @William Faddis @Andrew Fredrickson @James Fisher Good to know! Thanks guys. I imagine even a Meet-n-Greet type gathering could be beneficial, and I'd be sure to invite another agent in my office Paul Valachovic who owns ValMar Properties, LLC and has years of experience/knowledge to offer. Be sure to "Follow" this post and I'll update it to let you know some dates in March maybe!? Thanks again for your responses! If you can think of others you know who may be interested, maybe tag them as well :) Can't wait to see if others respond as well!

  • Morgantown, WV · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Hi everyone! I'm interested if the group meets on a weekend. I'm new to investing and just bought my first rental property in Morgantown. However, I don't live locally anymore. WVU grad that has been transplanted to Northern VA area.

  • Real Estate Agent · Morgantown, WV · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    @Skylar Swain - Hi! Ok, cool. Stay in touch :)

  • Rental Property Investor · New Martinsville, WV · Member since 2012 · 105 posts · 44 votes
    9y
    Connie Bhimireddy I'm near Morgantown and interested.
  • Real Estate Agent · Morgantown, WV · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    Hi @Jeremy Shepherd Will do :) 

    Looks like it will be last week in April or 1st Week in May (Sometime (after tax season!) 

    ***Let me know if anyone prefers weekdays or weekends, time of day, etc

  • Rental Property Investor · Charleston, WV · Member since 2013 · 262 posts · 109 votes
    9y
    Connie Bhimireddy I'd be interested in April, I'll need a week or so heads up. I'm actually in Parkersburg but would love to show up to an REI meeting.
  • Real Estate Agent · Morgantown, WV · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    @Jonathan Johnson - great! Happy to have u join in.

    I met another investor today through my 'job' who I invited as well! And I think I talked him into joining BP(!) to make it easier to keep everyone in the loop. But that got me thinking...

    Anyone have thoughts on whether you want communication about events/weather/time changes, etc to be through BP Private Measaging system, or do you prefer the ease of direct email? 

    The only drawback I see of BP is some local investors are on here (us!) but some maybe are not....maybe some of the best to learn from who are out there doing their "thing" eve would miss out or we would miss out on their knowledge/experience... So we may have to consider now: Do we want the meetup to be about 'Morgantown-specific' investing or about REI in general?

    I lean toward REI investing in general encompassing any strategy that works (locally or otherwise) and discussing Morgantown/Fairmont/etc would likely flow from there naturally. So, if REI in general, it seems to me 'personal email communication' makes more sense...ur thoughts? Agree/Disagree? Better ideas? I know many people use Facebook Groups, but not everyone is one FB...(but everyone uses email...) Lemme know. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Charleston, WV · Member since 2013 · 262 posts · 109 votes
    9y

    Email works great.

    Yeah I would be interested in talking general real estate. Like managing properties, WV specific challenges like laws and tenant-landlord stuff.

  • Charleston, SC · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y

    @Connie Bhimireddy - It seems you have been leading this conversation.  Did you every get consensus on a meet up time and location?  Late April/early May work for me.  Weekend afternoons or weekday evenings work most of the time.

    I am new to Morgantown and looking to invest locally. I have one rental out of town. General discussion of REI with a Morgantown area flavor would be great. I am good with email communication as well.

    Look forward to hearing more!

  • Real Estate Agent · Morgantown, WV · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    My broker said she's happy to allow us to use our office for the meetup which has 2 restrooms and several gathering areas, and I'll bring some light refreshments for our first one at least! That address is 601 Venture Dr #200 (2nd floor of the Talbots building). 

    At this point it should hold us all ;) I'll say I've received more interest than I expected!! If we get many more people between now/then, we may even be able to 'split' halfway through into short-term investing like Flips, BRRRR, development deals, and long-term investing like B/H (Res & Comm) since they're very different beasts in terms of evaluating deals, financing, tax implications, and so much more. (I have not really had anyone state they are wholesaling in the area but please PM me if you are. Have some questions for you!)

    Only a few people have expressed interest in what days/times they prefer, so I've not set that firmly yet; but, I would think a Sat afternoon should work for most...? I'm still looking to the last week in April, and communication via email. So if you haven't sent me a PM, please do, so I can begin to formally compile the list and give everyone about 2 weeks notice.

  • Tony WooldridgePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Walla Walla, WA · Member since 2016 · 480 posts · 346 votes
    9y

    @Connie Bhimireddy, I am in the same situation as you. My farming community does not have a REIA but I intend to start one. I intend to keep it simple and would like to start it out as a simple Meet-N-Greet at first and then hopefully transition into a full blown REIA. I too think it would be extremely beneficial. Thanks for sharing and if you don't mind I would like to reach out and discuss it further and see how everything is progressing for you(?) Here is to wishing you the best in your 2017 REI ventures. Thanks for allowing me to share.

  • Real Estate Agent · Morgantown, WV · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    @Tony Wooldridge - sure Tony! Happy to network re: starting a meetup. PM me. (I'm headed to bed!)

  • Tony WooldridgePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Walla Walla, WA · Member since 2016 · 480 posts · 346 votes
    9y

    @Connie Bhimireddy was wondering if you might jump in and share your experiences/expertise in the REIA meetup in the following forum https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/67/topics/428...

    thanks for the input ahead of time.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Spring Hill, FL · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    @Connie Bhimireddy, I used www.meetup.com to start a local REI meetup group in my market. It's affordable, user friendly, and seems to have "done the trick" for me. We average about 30 investors at each monthly meetup. We'd started in our small conference room at our own office with about 6 people the first couple of meetups. As we've grown, we've connected w/other small businesses in the area, and we've grown into several different meeting locations. Now we're meeting at the country club here locally in exchange for them to pitch our investors for a 2 minute intro to the country club and a $99/month membership for the summer :-) Here's a link to my meetup if you want to kind of model behind it: https://www.meetup.com/Spring-Hill-Real-Estate-Inv...

    I hope this helps!

  • Real Estate Agent · Spring Hill, FL · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    And as a Side Note - does anyone buy in the Terra Alta, WV area?? I have a seller direct lead in that area, which is why I was searching BP for WV threads :) LOL

  • Real Estate Agent · Morgantown, WV · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Josh P. 

  • Morgantown, WV · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    I'm definitely interested in this event. Weekend would work best. Hope to meet you all soon!

  • Real Estate Agent · Morgantown, WV · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    We did it! Held it April 29th, about 12 attended!! And I apologize for not getting the meeting notes we discussed out to everyone faster (I got busy with a buyer last week, and then got sick over the weekend). I'll try to have all 3 of those :  the notes, the 'resource list' spreadsheet, and the directory of contact info out to your email inboxes by Friday! I'll do it as a GoogleDrive Folder so it's a living document you can always access from anywhere.

    Also, I'll start a new thread about future dates and topic ideas. If you haven't emailed me, or responded to my colleague request, I can't email you info. In particular I think I've missed @William Faddis, and maybe @Skylar Swain ... I can't recall now if I have you in the list. So reach out if you'd like included! 

  • Morgantown, WV · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    Hello! I see that I am a few years late to the party, and you all may not even be located in the Morgantown area anymore, but I figured I would reach out! I am new to REI, and plan to buy my first property here within the next few months. I just relocated to Morgantown with my fiancé, but I am not new to the are as I graduated from WVU in May of 2020.

    If anyone on this thread is still active, let me know! I would be very interested in a local REI meetup!

  • New to Real Estate · Morgantown, WV · Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Hey, @Jaime Bisbey. I live in Morgantown, WV as well. I'm not sure if there is currently a local REI group.

  • Real Estate Agent · Morgantown, WV · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    Hey bro’s, we could start our own? I’m an investor in Morgantown as well. It’s my side gig. 

  • New to Real Estate · Morgantown, WV · Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Andrew Baughman What’s a good place to begin meeting during the pandemic? Would a local restaurant work?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.