Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Innovative Strategies
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sidney Flood
Pro Member
Votes |
Group Home Experience Anyone?

Sidney Flood
Pro Member
Posted Jun 5 2023, 13:36

Hi!
Right now I invest in long term, medium term and short term rentals. As they are lucrative, I am looking to expand and dive into the group home community specifically in Austin, TX. I am still gathering information on the certifications and qualifications needed but does anyone have any experience or expertise in this field?

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Haanen
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Jun 5 2023, 15:29

I worked at my mother in law’s group home for a few years, so I guess I would ask what you mean by getting into them? Also I think you have to be more specific because people have different interpretations of “group home”. Specifically, the one I worked at was for young boys in transition away from family for a variety of different reasons. 

If you are just trying to lease to existing group homes then I’d imagine it’s like any other commercial lease. They have a lot of different inspections they get regularly and I remember when she was trying to expand they wanted her to have a certain amount of reserves before allowing her to open a second location. This probably varies from state to state.

In terms of opening one yourself? That would be a totally different business venture and definitely challenging!

User Stats

Votes
Denver McClure
Pro Member
  • Financial Advisor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Financial Advisor
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jun 8 2023, 15:28

Hi @Sidney Flood, I'd recommend connecting with @Christina J Allen. she is working on a group home strategy as well.

Apollo Advising Logo
BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Karen Chow
  • West Linn, OR
Votes |
  • West Linn, OR
Replied Jun 8 2023, 15:48

I'm actually looking into this too. You can rent your SFH to a non-profit like a NARR Level 2 drug recovery home. So far I've looked at Kate's House Foundation.

User Stats

Votes
Christina J Allen
  • Investor
  • Orange City, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orange City, FL
Replied Aug 9 2023, 11:19

There is so much to tell you about group homes. But I would be doing you a disservice if I didn’t refer you to the ones who are teaching me everything I know. 
go to the the website : www.grouphomeriches.com

It's a shame that more REI aren't doing this. But I sense a change is coming especially with the affordable houses CRISIS we are experiencing right now. I will be opening my first home in December and I didn't even need a license to do it! Happy hunting everyone and i'd love to talk about it if anyone is interested.

User Stats

Votes
Christina J Allen
  • Investor
  • Orange City, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orange City, FL
Replied Aug 9 2023, 11:21
Quote from @Denver McClure:

Hi @Sidney Flood, I'd recommend connecting with @Christina J Allen. she is working on a group home strategy as well.

Thanks for the shout out! several people have reached out to me with interest. 
 I’m super excited to start working with you!!! Prepping for my reno! I’m def gonna need your guidance lol Thanks for all you do #rockstar