Subdivision Question - Purchase Double Lot and Sell Land

Subdivision Question - Purchase Double Lot and Sell Land

Member since 2011 · 92 posts · 40 votes

Hi BP Fam!

Has anyone purchased a double lot and subdivided and sold the vacant lot?

If so - any tips and guidance along the way? Can you outsource the process?

Thanks,

Bryan

0Reply
27 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    While I have not, I am friends with a builder that has done this, although he technically he bought a single lot that was double the size, and he needed to subdivide it with city.

    In Cincinnati, where I am based and my friend is based, the whole process is outlined here: https://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/planning/subdivisions/ and it took him about 2 weeks, I believe.  he has done it on other lots too.

    I am sure you can hire a real estate attorney in your area to outsource the process.  Ultimately, I am certain this is a case by case issue based on each jurisdiction and their various rules.

  • Developer · TX · Member since 2024 · 42 posts · 21 votes
    1y

    Yes, people do this.

    The steps usually look like this:

    1. Find out your local rules for splitting land (every city or county is a little different).

    2. Hire a land surveyor or civil engineer, they usually handle the paperwork and help move it through the process.

    3.  Know ahead of time what kind of buyer you want for the new lot, this helps you set it up the right way from the start.

    You can outsource most of this. You’ll just need to approve some steps along the way.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.