Recommend CPA in San Jose/South Bay Area

Recommend CPA in San Jose/South Bay Area

Real Estate Agent · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 94 posts · 73 votes

Hi All,

As a new investor it's quite a bit intimidating jumping into the field without knowing much about the business. One of the first things I've been told now that I own rental property and am looking to purchase more is to consult with a CPA. Since I don't have any contacts in the RE world I've been left to find one via Google/Yelp. 

Recently I found Dunham Associates in San Jose and have an appt tomorrow. They are charging for the consult and I read recently here on BP that any good CPA does not charge for a consult. Like most things to a newbie investor conflicting information always makes things more confusing. 

Anyways, I thought I would toss the question out there if anybody could recommend a CPA they trust or use. Otherwise I'll take my chances with the luck of the Google draw and hope things work out well.

Thanks in advance.

2Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Sunnyvale, CA · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 12 votes
11y

Hi Jason,

I have not dealt with them personally, but I looked them up with the state board.  Their license is clear and they have not had any enforcement action taken against them.  Here is a link that may be helpful in looking for a CPA:  http://www.dca.ca.gov/cba/consumers/slectcpa.shtml

Not sure what your specific questions or concerns may be, but you can find a lot of good information in the IRS tax publication here:  http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p527.pdf

There are other publications that may be relevent (ie. Pub 946, How to Depreciate Property) that you can also find online and are listed on page 2 of Pub 527.

Depending on what your tolerance is for numbers and taxes, the info above may tell you what you need to know and save you some money.

Good luck,

Steve

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Alameda, CA · Member since 2015 · 69 posts · 16 votes
    11y

    He's a little further north of SJ, but Jino Joseph has been great for handling my wife's business financials, and our taxes.  I believe he also works/travels to SJ too.

  • Sunnyvale, CA · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    Hi Jason,

    I have not dealt with them personally, but I looked them up with the state board.  Their license is clear and they have not had any enforcement action taken against them.  Here is a link that may be helpful in looking for a CPA:  http://www.dca.ca.gov/cba/consumers/slectcpa.shtml

    Not sure what your specific questions or concerns may be, but you can find a lot of good information in the IRS tax publication here:  http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p527.pdf

    There are other publications that may be relevent (ie. Pub 946, How to Depreciate Property) that you can also find online and are listed on page 2 of Pub 527.

    Depending on what your tolerance is for numbers and taxes, the info above may tell you what you need to know and save you some money.

    Good luck,

    Steve

  • Real Estate Agent · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 94 posts · 73 votes
    11y

    @Jeff Tang Thanks for the # to Jino. I did a Google search and it looks like he has a Santa Clara office. Thanks for the lead.

    @Steve B. Great info Steve. I didn't even think to look them up. Thanks for checking into that for me. As for my tolerance for #'s, it's very low. I'm more brawn than brains thats for sure but I'm learning slowly. BP has been an amazing resource.

    Thanks again Gents.

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Jason Clark

    Try doing a search for Ed Slott CPA as he has nationwide network of CPAs.

  • Real Estate Investor · Redwood City, CA · Member since 2012 · 272 posts · 399 votes
    11y

    Hey @Jason Clark, check the meet up link in my signature and look at the August meeting info.  Michelle and Todd are pretty good.  Tell them I sent you.

    Happy hunting!

    Jeff

  • Hayward, CA · Member since 2014 · 90 posts · 47 votes
    10y

    Not sure I agree with the whole good CPA doesnt charge thing. Good CPA value their time a lot more than others. 

    Alpha Business Service in Fremont, they are EAs, but give good general tax advices(I paid them for consultation for my biz before)

    I actually don't find talking to a CPA that useful unless they specialize in real estate tax. Most of CPAs are not specialized in real estate and are not tax strategy planners. 

  • Real Estate Agent · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 94 posts · 73 votes
    10y

    Hi Eric, thanks for the bump on the thread, I forgot to post an update. After I first posted this I met with Rick Dunham, he's the founder. I got a good impression from the meeting. He noted that he invests in RE as well so that was good. 

    Im not sure if he is a strategy planner although he did say if I wanted to bring him the properties I was interested in he would run the numbers for me to decide if it was a good deal or not. Thankfully I have BP to help with that so I can run the numbers on my own and so far for two properties I have purchased this year they have been good deals.

    Our 30 min scheduled meeting last 1 hour since we were talking so much about property, LLCs, taxes, family, crossfit, good chat. I'll use them in 2016.

    Thanks.

  • Investor · Campbell, CA · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 33 votes
    9y

    @Jason Clark Try Robert Hayes in Campbell.   Just met with him, and liked what I saw.

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 14 votes
    8y

    Hey @Jeff Pollack, if Michelle and Todd are still active, I would love to connect with them!  Thank you!

  • Accountant · Campbell · Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    The early days of real estate investing come with a steep learning curve, and finding the right CPA can make a big difference, especially when you are starting to scale.

    I am a CPA myself (based in Campbell) and work with a number of rental property owners and early-stage investors. If it’s helpful, happy to chat or share questions you should ask during the meeting to make sure you are getting value.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.