How do you handle liars?

How do you handle liars?

Specialist · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 639 posts · 176 votes

Drawing from recent media commentary where VP Joe Biden was derided across some media for answering questions truthfully, telling lies seems to have become an accepted way of life.

In October four of our purchase deals fell because the sellers and/or their agents had deliberately provided incorrect information about the properties and these lies only became exposed in the course of diligence, very close or right on top of the closings.

The unfortunate consequence of these misrepresentations for us was lost time and resources which is always costly. It's a reasonable expectation that this is just another cost of doing business and we hit a bad run.

After a direct challenge to their misinformation two of these people with whom we had completed previous deals apologized for "their mis-communication" (which phraseology seems to be a cop out for telling lies these days).

The only question I have about this is; how would you handle somebody who has lied to you in a deal?

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y

I set their pants on fire.

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    Tenants will lie just like landlords and when they lie to me I let them know at that time if you lie to me you will steal from me.

    Joe Gore

  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    How do I handle liars? Gotta first define a lie ("white lies" ) included:

    "Any thought, word, act, deed or omission with the intent to deceive."

    People lie. That's a fact. I think the question becomes my tolerance for the other person's lie. If it's material, and I'm negotiating with you, as far as I'm concerned, all bets are off. The deal is as I say it is, like it or not.

    If you lie, you lose the benefit of further negotiation with me.

    If you want something from me. You should have thought about that before you lied because I'm not responsible for how you behave.

    If you are in a pickle now, you'll have time to reflect later.

  • South Bend, IN · Member since 2014 · 318 posts · 156 votes
    12y

    @Jerry W. "We have a saying out west, trust your neighbor, but brand your own calves." Ha, ha, ......mmmmh ha, ha, ha...good one!!

  • South Bend, IN · Member since 2014 · 318 posts · 156 votes
    12y

    @Rachel H. "To me, the seller is the one who has to sell but I don't have to buy." Great piece of advice and timeless quote. I will remember this one.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 486 posts · 170 votes
    12y

    Don't do business with them.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.