How do you handle liars?

How do you handle liars?

Specialist · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 639 posts · 176 votes

Drawing from recent media commentary where VP Joe Biden was derided across some media for answering questions truthfully, telling lies seems to have become an accepted way of life.

In October four of our purchase deals fell because the sellers and/or their agents had deliberately provided incorrect information about the properties and these lies only became exposed in the course of diligence, very close or right on top of the closings.

The unfortunate consequence of these misrepresentations for us was lost time and resources which is always costly. It's a reasonable expectation that this is just another cost of doing business and we hit a bad run.

After a direct challenge to their misinformation two of these people with whom we had completed previous deals apologized for "their mis-communication" (which phraseology seems to be a cop out for telling lies these days).

The only question I have about this is; how would you handle somebody who has lied to you in a deal?

0Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y

I set their pants on fire.

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    What did they lie about?

    Joe Gore

  • Specialist · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 639 posts · 176 votes
    12y

    Title and other issues.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Potomac Falls, VA · Member since 2012 · 203 posts · 31 votes
    12y

    It's a tough call and I would weigh what my time is worth.

    1. For Realtors: put them on your "list" to be wary of in the future. If you have a very strong argument and hopefully some evidence, I would and have in the past filed a complaint with their Realtor association. This typically means nothing, in my opinion, but it does let the Realtor know you're not someone to be messed with. I have filed two complaints against Realtors and the mediation board just tossed them out. But, I got my point across. I think a Realtor needs to do something horrible in order to get a smack on the wrist. So, consider your time when thinking of this option.

    2. Non Realtors - Never work with them again.

    3. Tenants/Potential Tenants - Integrity is critical. You're going to live in my home. If you lie (not white lies), you're done.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y
    Andres,

    I agree lie, and you are finished with me. I find more land lords lie then tenants here in Texas.


    Joe Gore

  • Involved In Real Estate · My City, NJ · Member since 2013 · 181 posts · 81 votes
    12y

    I once dealt with a sellers agent when I was buying a house she had listed, I went through her figuring that she would move things along faster being that she wouldn't be splitting the commission with a buyers agent. It was a closed up summer home, power off and such. We had a contract and now was time for the inspection... I told her to make sure that the power & well water was going for the inspection that we are paying for, no sense in paying for an inspection if they can't inspect without power & water, right? So guess what happens the day we show up with the inspector? No water! Power's on but no water. I turned to her and asked her if she checked out if the power & water was on before the day of inspection, she said "yes she did". I asked her again, "You actually saw water coming out the faucets?", "Oh yes the water was running", she said. This was in the month of June mind you. Later the inspector climbs out from under the crawl space and proceeds to tell me that in several places the copper water lines had burst due to freezing. She bold face lied to my face. Those pipes burst in the winter and then proceeded to run the well dry and burn out the well pump! She had left before he told me that, good thing for her. After cooling down I didn't confront her, but it sticks in my mind and would never deal with her again. What she should've done was to admit her mistake and offer to pay for the re-inspection. This was thirteen years ago & I remember it vividly and have told many people not to use her & why.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    Tenants lie so much that I have decided that it's perfectly OK for me to lie to them. Such as, "if you don't pay me by Tuesday, the bank will take this house and you will be out on the streets".

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    George,

    Did you pay them to come out and turn on the water and power?

    Joe Gore

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    1. Never accept seller's figures or from a listing agent, verify and then trust.

    2. Inspect for yourself, get representations in writing so you can hold their feet to the fire if need be.

    3. Title issues, depends, they may not know, if it's a material issue, deal is over get your money.

    4. Lie to me in a loan, sorry, can't help you.

    Never lied to a tenant (or anyone intentionally in RE, yes, I'd say that dress looks great on you dear), never needed to as telling it like it is does the job every time.

    Believe me, the word spreads, liars lose. :)

  • Involved In Real Estate · My City, NJ · Member since 2013 · 181 posts · 81 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Joe Gore:
    George,

    Did you pay them to come out and turn on the water and power?

    Joe Gore

    No Joe, it was a regular listing by a private party years ago, not a foreclosure where it's all on you/me now. The distant owner paid to have the power put on in order to sell his home, his agent dropped the ball. She lived in the same neighborhood, it wasn't like a big imposition for her, she was getting the whole commission and she agreed to make sure it was done, but didn't, then proceeded to lie about it.

    The inspector knew what happened as well, he heard her assure me that she saw the water running in the sinks prior to the inspection.

    She ruined her reputation with me, the inspector & everyone else I told over such a stupid lie.

  • Specialist · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 639 posts · 176 votes
    12y

    So is it fair to say that if someone lies to you the best thing to do is just walk away? Is that good philosophy for business?

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    I set their pants on fire.

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Ok, People lie, it's a fact of life. It's against my personal code to lie but I will admit I have lied (ie told mom I didn't eat the cookie and others) and am not proud of it. Once you tell one lie then it's a slippery slope and I think none of us can cast the first stone on this issue. I don't like it when people lie.

    I'm not sure where people are when they answer questions for me. Something they may not consider important may be a huge deal for me. They maybe personally in a spot where they feel it is more important to save face than communicate the facts. People outside of RE don't know about title (maybe yours did or didn't). About half the rental aps I take contain what I would classify as lies (ie overstate income).

    My approach is to trust and verify. People can get 2nd chances but given the choice I don't chose to work with them if I've been lied to in the past. I don't have a lot of spare time so I try and use my time with those whom I feel are trustworthy.

  • Udaipur, Rajasthan · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Logically I understand that everybody lies about something or another, but when I catch someone red handed I lose all my trust on him.

    And without trust I don't think any relationship (professional or personal) can last.

    Of course before walking away I try to discover the reason why he/she lied, if it is for best of every one involved or they had no other option, I might let it go and give them another chance.

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 185 posts · 160 votes
    12y

    I would be very weary of giving, liars a second chance. You know the old adage "fool me once..." I have a firm belief that when people make a practice of not being truthful in business they will eventually feel the effects. It doesnt take long to get a bad reputation and no one will want to work with them, soon enough. A negative encounter goes 100X further in peoples minds then a positive one.

    And I think @Bill Gulley was 100% correct in pointing out that you need to C.Y.A. by coming up with your own numbers, and trying to get as much factual information as possible before trusting someones else's "word"

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    As others have said, do not work with them again. Depends on the circumstance of the lie but still... I wouldn't trust them again.

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    12y

    how do I deal with liars? I get 1st, last, and security deposit.

  • Investor/Realtor · Hoover, AL · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 459 votes
    12y

    If a prospect tenant lies about a prev eviction and it shows on credit report, I disqualify....but it it's disclosed initially and they've reestablished rental/work history, I consider...

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Many times I see folks focus too much on the property itself instead of the person they are working with. If someone is not trustworthy (especially after information is confirmed in the due diligence area), I walk away from the deal.

    In my experience, if I can't trust the person I'm working with then I can't do business with them. I'd rather go out and find another deal with someone I can trust rather than working with someone I can't. To me, the seller is the one who has to sell but I don't have to buy.

    Hope that helps!

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    We have a saying out west, trust your neighbor, but brand your own calves.

  • SFR Investor · Stillwater, OK · Member since 2014 · 168 posts · 37 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jerry W.:
    We have a saying out west, trust your neighbor, but brand your own calves.

    I heard something very close to that from a rancher who was in his upper eighties .

    He was full of wise ol' country sayings ,usually every time we spoke I learned something.

  • SFR Investor · Stillwater, OK · Member since 2014 · 168 posts · 37 votes
    12y

    My grandmother told me not to call someone a liar.

    And Grandfather said Something like this

    When dealing with people that I needed to understand

    Everyone sees things differently,

    Some actually believe they are telling the truth,

    others know its not quite true,

    some know its pure horse sh@t".

    Always remember "If they are trying to get into my pockets(after my money) to consider every word they say to be horse sh@t"

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 72 posts · 18 votes
    12y

    I lose all trust. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, but when they BS to the point that I can't tell if they're being truthful or not, I look to verify every claim.

    I also being in karma.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    i lied to my wife when i told her "i will rock your world tonight".

  • Manasquan, NJ · Member since 2014 · 88 posts · 23 votes
    12y

    It is not that I do not trust. We are all human. I just do my best to perform due diligence on as much as possible. Even honest people can make mistakes. If I suspect I am working with a liar I call them out on why I think so and see there response. If they do a lot of back pedaling I just am more vigilant. If they can explain reasonably I just keep moving the deal forward.. still with vigilance.

    Just my opinion

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 217 posts · 170 votes
    12y

    I can always tell a tenant is lying to me because I see his mouth is moving.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.