What up BP?!
I have been investing for about a year now and I am starting to experience some growing pains. I have been going strong with Youtube university, but I think I am ready for a little more hands on/over the shoulder learning. So, I have been looking into mentorship type programs and it feels like wherever I look there is some new "guru" charging $5k+ for their course because they have done a few transactions. In other words, I just do not want to drop a decent amount of coin and be underwhelmed.
There are so many programs, courses and mentors out there right now it is almost overwhelming.
So my question is for the people who have taken courses or learned from mentors, personally. How and why did you choose the course/program that you did and how did you justify that it was a better fit for you than the hundreds of others that are out there?
Forget about the paid memberships. You should be focused on:
1. Networking with EVERYBODY in your local community. Other investors, lenders, contractors, real estate agents, title companies, designers, and architects.
2. Underwriting more deals. You should be looking at a couple deals a day.
3. Doing more deals.
What up BP?!
I have been investing for about a year now and I am starting to experience some growing pains. I have been going strong with Youtube university, but I think I am ready for a little more hands on/over the shoulder learning. So, I have been looking into mentorship type programs and it feels like wherever I look there is some new "guru" charging $5k+ for their course because they have done a few transactions. In other words, I just do not want to drop a decent amount of coin and be underwhelmed.
There are so many programs, courses and mentors out there right now it is almost overwhelming.
So my question is for the people who have taken courses or learned from mentors, personally. How and why did you choose the course/program that you did and how did you justify that it was a better fit for you than the hundreds of others that are out there?
Gobundance has been a group that I joined that has had a significant positive impact on me personally and professionally.
What up BP?!
I have been investing for about a year now and I am starting to experience some growing pains. I have been going strong with Youtube university, but I think I am ready for a little more hands on/over the shoulder learning. So, I have been looking into mentorship type programs and it feels like wherever I look there is some new "guru" charging $5k+ for their course because they have done a few transactions. In other words, I just do not want to drop a decent amount of coin and be underwhelmed.
There are so many programs, courses and mentors out there right now it is almost overwhelming.
So my question is for the people who have taken courses or learned from mentors, personally. How and why did you choose the course/program that you did and how did you justify that it was a better fit for you than the hundreds of others that are out there?
Gobundance has been a group that I joined that has had a significant positive impact on me personally and professionally.
I have never heard of that, thank you. I just looked that up. Looks like it is more based on Entreprenurial ideas and mindset rather than only focusing on just Real Estate investing, is that correct?
Forget about the paid memberships. You should be focused on:
1. Networking with EVERYBODY in your local community. Other investors, lenders, contractors, real estate agents, title companies, designers, and architects.
2. Underwriting more deals. You should be looking at a couple deals a day.
3. Doing more deals.
What up BP?!
I have been investing for about a year now and I am starting to experience some growing pains. I have been going strong with Youtube university, but I think I am ready for a little more hands on/over the shoulder learning. So, I have been looking into mentorship type programs and it feels like wherever I look there is some new "guru" charging $5k+ for their course because they have done a few transactions. In other words, I just do not want to drop a decent amount of coin and be underwhelmed.
There are so many programs, courses and mentors out there right now it is almost overwhelming.
So my question is for the people who have taken courses or learned from mentors, personally. How and why did you choose the course/program that you did and how did you justify that it was a better fit for you than the hundreds of others that are out there?
Gobundance has been a group that I joined that has had a significant positive impact on me personally and professionally.
I have never heard of that, thank you. I just looked that up. Looks like it is more based on Entreprenurial ideas and mindset rather than only focusing on just Real Estate investing, is that correct?
That is correct but I would say half the group is in real estate and 2/3rds invest in real estate. It is not for beginners but those who are looking to crank it up a notch and have had success (ie. the $2M net worth requirement to join).
What up BP?!
I have been investing for about a year now and I am starting to experience some growing pains. I have been going strong with Youtube university, but I think I am ready for a little more hands on/over the shoulder learning. So, I have been looking into mentorship type programs and it feels like wherever I look there is some new "guru" charging $5k+ for their course because they have done a few transactions. In other words, I just do not want to drop a decent amount of coin and be underwhelmed.
There are so many programs, courses and mentors out there right now it is almost overwhelming.
So my question is for the people who have taken courses or learned from mentors, personally. How and why did you choose the course/program that you did and how did you justify that it was a better fit for you than the hundreds of others that are out there?
the biggest mentorship program is coming from George Soros for me, when they defaulted the whole Asian currency by half *in action* LOL
Imagine one guy is screwing up the life of half of population in the world.
Hence we see the rise of China today, all because of one guy.
What up BP?!
I have been investing for about a year now and I am starting to experience some growing pains. I have been going strong with Youtube university, but I think I am ready for a little more hands on/over the shoulder learning. So, I have been looking into mentorship type programs and it feels like wherever I look there is some new "guru" charging $5k+ for their course because they have done a few transactions. In other words, I just do not want to drop a decent amount of coin and be underwhelmed.
There are so many programs, courses and mentors out there right now it is almost overwhelming.
So my question is for the people who have taken courses or learned from mentors, personally. How and why did you choose the course/program that you did and how did you justify that it was a better fit for you than the hundreds of others that are out there?
Yeah, I'm just along for the ride here. But just one point about the words you're using: you pay for a coach, a mentor mentors you for free. I've learned more than my fair share from mentors. The most I ever paid for coaching was $150 for a general three-day seminar, where I learned that if you beg on the phone just right, credit card companies will just raise the hell out of your card's spending limit.
What up BP?!
I have been investing for about a year now and I am starting to experience some growing pains. I have been going strong with Youtube university, but I think I am ready for a little more hands on/over the shoulder learning. So, I have been looking into mentorship type programs and it feels like wherever I look there is some new "guru" charging $5k+ for their course because they have done a few transactions. In other words, I just do not want to drop a decent amount of coin and be underwhelmed.
There are so many programs, courses and mentors out there right now it is almost overwhelming.
So my question is for the people who have taken courses or learned from mentors, personally. How and why did you choose the course/program that you did and how did you justify that it was a better fit for you than the hundreds of others that are out there?
Gobundance has been a group that I joined that has had a significant positive impact on me personally and professionally.
How long have you been a member?
@Nathan Harden I’ve done 2 paid “mentorship” programs only to get into them and find out you’re just schlepped off to the mentors associates and maybe once a week you get a live phone call
With 20-100 other mentees where you can never get your question answered.
In one of these programs my advisor abruptly quit and I was informed I would be assigned a new one and then I never was and there was no way to contact anyone else and when I contacted customer support they kept telling me to reach out to the advisor who had sent me an email that she was quitting effective immediately and not to contact her again.
I think you can learn more by attending meetups and networking and following bigger pockets bot the forums and the podcasts. I’ve been learning quite a lot from Brandon Turners new podcast. Not every guest wildly interests me but I learn from each of them.
My best mentors have turned out to be my contractor, who started out as my handyman 18-20 years ago shoveling snow for me, and is now my go to for everything, and my Realtor who I’ve worked with for about 26 years now.
What up BP?!
I have been investing for about a year now and I am starting to experience some growing pains. I have been going strong with Youtube university, but I think I am ready for a little more hands on/over the shoulder learning. So, I have been looking into mentorship type programs and it feels like wherever I look there is some new "guru" charging $5k+ for their course because they have done a few transactions. In other words, I just do not want to drop a decent amount of coin and be underwhelmed.
There are so many programs, courses and mentors out there right now it is almost overwhelming.
So my question is for the people who have taken courses or learned from mentors, personally. How and why did you choose the course/program that you did and how did you justify that it was a better fit for you than the hundreds of others that are out there?
Gobundance has been a group that I joined that has had a significant positive impact on me personally and professionally.
I have never heard of that, thank you. I just looked that up. Looks like it is more based on Entreprenurial ideas and mindset rather than only focusing on just Real Estate investing, is that correct?
That is correct but I would say half the group is in real estate and 2/3rds invest in real estate. It is not for beginners but those who are looking to crank it up a notch and have had success (ie. the $2M net worth requirement to join).
Any other groups that you were a part of before the 2mil networth?
@Nathan Harden I’ve done 2 paid “mentorship” programs only to get into them and find out you’re just schlepped off to the mentors associates and maybe once a week you get a live phone call
With 20-100 other mentees where you can never get your question answered.
In one of these programs my advisor abruptly quit and I was informed I would be assigned a new one and then I never was and there was no way to contact anyone else and when I contacted customer support they kept telling me to reach out to the advisor who had sent me an email that she was quitting effective immediately and not to contact her again.
I think you can learn more by attending meetups and networking and following bigger pockets bot the forums and the podcasts. I’ve been learning quite a lot from Brandon Turners new podcast. Not every guest wildly interests me but I learn from each of them.
My best mentors have turned out to be my contractor, who started out as my handyman 18-20 years ago shoveling snow for me, and is now my go to for everything, and my Realtor who I’ve worked with for about 26 years now.
Thank you Alecia. I am a big fan of Brandon Turner as well. How was your contractor such a large impact for you along your journey?
Forget about the paid memberships. You should be focused on:
1. Networking with EVERYBODY in your local community. Other investors, lenders, contractors, real estate agents, title companies, designers, and architects.
2. Underwriting more deals. You should be looking at a couple deals a day.
3. Doing more deals.
I definitely look at more than a couple deals a day. The problem is once I have found the deal, not having the correct forms, not completely confident in MY knowledge of the paperwork and process that is needed to complete a Subto, wholesale, Novation, etc. contract.
@Nathan Harden
They have one called emerge which has no net worth requirements but is based on same principles
Highly recommend
@Nathan Harden I hear what you are saying and I think I know what you are looking for. You want someone with the experience to walk you through doing some deals so that you know how to structure the deal and how to doing them correctly until you feel more comfortable and you can do deals on your own. Ideally you would like a mentor to do this. Unfortunately, real estate mentors can be hard to find sometimes.
Coaches are easier to find but they usually cost money. But the good ones can give you individualized attention and you usually make a really high return on the money you spend on their program.
I agree with many of the comments here. Be careful not to get scammed when looking for a mentor. Many people can make it look like they're doing much better than they are.
I agree with many of the comments here. Be careful not to get scammed when looking for a mentor. Many people can make it look like they're doing much better than they are.
Why, Justin, what a suspicious thing to say! It can't possibly be true, can it?
(I would post Fat Joe's and Li'l Wayne's video of the song "Make It Rain" here if the BP comment moderating staff would let me.)
Forget about the paid memberships. You should be focused on:
1. Networking with EVERYBODY in your local community. Other investors, lenders, contractors, real estate agents, title companies, designers, and architects.
2. Underwriting more deals. You should be looking at a couple deals a day.
3. Doing more deals.
I definitely look at more than a couple deals a day. The problem is once I have found the deal, not having the correct forms, not completely confident in MY knowledge of the paperwork and process that is needed to complete a Subto, wholesale, Novation, etc. contract.
The reason you're experiencing these challenges and "growing pains" that you mentioned in your original post is because you're focused on the wrong thing.
Nobody is building a successful, consistently profitable, and sustainable real estate business by focused on what you are focused on (subto, wholesale, novation, etc).
I believe if you shift your focus to more practical strategies you will find more success.
Forget about the paid memberships. You should be focused on:
1. Networking with EVERYBODY in your local community. Other investors, lenders, contractors, real estate agents, title companies, designers, and architects.
2. Underwriting more deals. You should be looking at a couple deals a day.
3. Doing more deals.
I definitely look at more than a couple deals a day. The problem is once I have found the deal, not having the correct forms, not completely confident in MY knowledge of the paperwork and process that is needed to complete a Subto, wholesale, Novation, etc. contract.
The reason you're experiencing these challenges and "growing pains" that you mentioned in your original post is because you're focused on the wrong thing.
Nobody is building a successful, consistently profitable, and sustainable real estate business by focused on what you are focused on (subto, wholesale, novation, etc).
I believe if you shift your focus to more practical strategies you will find more success.
I am all ears my man. Which strategies are you talking about?
Forget about the paid memberships. You should be focused on:
1. Networking with EVERYBODY in your local community. Other investors, lenders, contractors, real estate agents, title companies, designers, and architects.
2. Underwriting more deals. You should be looking at a couple deals a day.
3. Doing more deals.
I definitely look at more than a couple deals a day. The problem is once I have found the deal, not having the correct forms, not completely confident in MY knowledge of the paperwork and process that is needed to complete a Subto, wholesale, Novation, etc. contract.
The reason you're experiencing these challenges and "growing pains" that you mentioned in your original post is because you're focused on the wrong thing.
Nobody is building a successful, consistently profitable, and sustainable real estate business by focused on what you are focused on (subto, wholesale, novation, etc).
I believe if you shift your focus to more practical strategies you will find more success.
I am all ears my man. Which strategies are you talking about?
It seems funny when I type it out because it's so simple, but there are really only 2 tried and true strategies that have worked in this business since the beginning of time..
1. Fix & Flip
2. Buy & Hold
Of course there are a ton of nuances within those strategies, but that's it.
If you need to build up some capital - Buy a property under market value, fix it up, sell it for a profit. This can be applied to single family, multifamily, land, office, retail, medical, industrial, etc.
If you need cash flow and are looking to build wealth over time - Buy properties in good locations and rent them out. This also can be applied to single family, multifamily, office, retail, medical, industrial, etc. (this also works if you are looking to do a "house hack")
Or if you want both capital and cash flow - You can apply a mix of both of these strategies and do a BRRRR.
All of those strategies that you listed in your prior post are fairytale strategies that gurus promote to make money selling courses.
When you start connecting with real local investors in real life you'll realize that the way most guys and gals have made their fortunes in real estate is by the 2 simple strategies I listed above.
It really depends on what you're looking for out of the "coaching".
Are you wanting one on one coaching? Or more of a community style coaching?
One on one coaching will be much more costly. Community style can be much more affordable. Through the community style you will gain new connections but the guidance you receive won't be as direct.
What is your niche in real estate? I also suggest finding a mentor that specializes in that niche. Residential, STR, flipping, wholesaling, syndication, etc.
I've worked with several coaches and joined many groups throughout my journey. I'm an advocate for working with someone to fast track your goals. But definitely agree you want to find the right person that actually has the track record to back it up.
Forget about the paid memberships. You should be focused on:
1. Networking with EVERYBODY in your local community. Other investors, lenders, contractors, real estate agents, title companies, designers, and architects.
2. Underwriting more deals. You should be looking at a couple deals a day.
3. Doing more deals.
I definitely look at more than a couple deals a day. The problem is once I have found the deal, not having the correct forms, not completely confident in MY knowledge of the paperwork and process that is needed to complete a Subto, wholesale, Novation, etc. contract.
The reason you're experiencing these challenges and "growing pains" that you mentioned in your original post is because you're focused on the wrong thing.
Nobody is building a successful, consistently profitable, and sustainable real estate business by focused on what you are focused on (subto, wholesale, novation, etc).
I believe if you shift your focus to more practical strategies you will find more success.
I am all ears my man. Which strategies are you talking about?
It seems funny when I type it out because it's so simple, but there are really only 2 tried and true strategies that have worked in this business since the beginning of time..
1. Fix & Flip
2. Buy & Hold
Of course there are a ton of nuances within those strategies, but that's it.
If you need to build up some capital - Buy a property under market value, fix it up, sell it for a profit. This can be applied to single family, multifamily, land, office, retail, medical, industrial, etc.
If you need cash flow and are looking to build wealth over time - Buy properties in good locations and rent them out. This also can be applied to single family, multifamily, office, retail, medical, industrial, etc. (this also works if you are looking to do a "house hack")
Or if you want both capital and cash flow - You can apply a mix of both of these strategies and do a BRRRR.
All of those strategies that you listed in your prior post are fairytale strategies that gurus promote to make money selling courses.
When you start connecting with real local investors in real life you'll realize that the way most guys and gals have made their fortunes in real estate is by the 2 simple strategies I listed above.
I agree. Are you doing flips right now? I buy and hold right now, just slowly running out of capital for downpayments that is why I have been turning my head towards the more creative ideas to get me doors at the moment. I have done a flip before but to be honest, this volatile market scares me at the moment with flips. That is why I have been looking into trying to learn wholesaling so that I can build up capital without having to risk the flip.
Really just looking for more ways to get into a buy&hold without using a bank with 20-25% down and 9% interest. That is why I mentioned Subto, but in all honesty, I like the idea of gaining more doors through seller financing because to me, that feels wayyyyyyy safer than a Subto.
It really depends on what you're looking for out of the "coaching".
Are you wanting one on one coaching? Or more of a community style coaching?
One on one coaching will be much more costly. Community style can be much more affordable. Through the community style you will gain new connections but the guidance you receive won't be as direct.
What is your niche in real estate? I also suggest finding a mentor that specializes in that niche. Residential, STR, flipping, wholesaling, syndication, etc.
I've worked with several coaches and joined many groups throughout my journey. I'm an advocate for working with someone to fast track your goals. But definitely agree you want to find the right person that actually has the track record to back it up.
I have looked into both routes. I just haven't felt like I have found the "coach" or "group" at the moment so I am still open to hearing experiences from both sides. A group may be best just so I can gain more connections and I do have experience, it is just time for me to take the next hurdle to level up and I do think that having a coach, mentor, group will fast track that.
I have tried to meet up with local investors one on one, even pulled local landlord phone numbers from prop stream just to try and learn from them on the phone or even meet face to face. While I have been given great advice and guidance through some of those phone calls, I still have missing pieces to my puzzle.
What up BP?!
I have been investing for about a year now and I am starting to experience some growing pains. I have been going strong with Youtube university, but I think I am ready for a little more hands on/over the shoulder learning. So, I have been looking into mentorship type programs and it feels like wherever I look there is some new "guru" charging $5k+ for their course because they have done a few transactions. In other words, I just do not want to drop a decent amount of coin and be underwhelmed.
There are so many programs, courses and mentors out there right now it is almost overwhelming.
So my question is for the people who have taken courses or learned from mentors, personally. How and why did you choose the course/program that you did and how did you justify that it was a better fit for you than the hundreds of others that are out there?
STOP!!!! I have never spent a penny, went to any RE seminar or read any RE books, and have done it all. All you need to do is connect with those doing deals. You will learn more in a day then 6 months reading and seminars. It ALL just about numbers, nothing else matters. Buy right, fix right , sell/rent right,
5k,is ridiculous. 90% of these gurus do not even do deals. Its like the college professor, but them in real life situations they will fail. " Give me guys poor smart and hungry vs a Harvard grad any day :)
Good luck
Forget about the paid memberships. You should be focused on:
1. Networking with EVERYBODY in your local community. Other investors, lenders, contractors, real estate agents, title companies, designers, and architects.
2. Underwriting more deals. You should be looking at a couple deals a day.
3. Doing more deals.
I definitely look at more than a couple deals a day. The problem is once I have found the deal, not having the correct forms, not completely confident in MY knowledge of the paperwork and process that is needed to complete a Subto, wholesale, Novation, etc. contract.
The reason you're experiencing these challenges and "growing pains" that you mentioned in your original post is because you're focused on the wrong thing.
Nobody is building a successful, consistently profitable, and sustainable real estate business by focused on what you are focused on (subto, wholesale, novation, etc).
I believe if you shift your focus to more practical strategies you will find more success.
I am all ears my man. Which strategies are you talking about?
It seems funny when I type it out because it's so simple, but there are really only 2 tried and true strategies that have worked in this business since the beginning of time..
1. Fix & Flip
2. Buy & Hold
Of course there are a ton of nuances within those strategies, but that's it.
If you need to build up some capital - Buy a property under market value, fix it up, sell it for a profit. This can be applied to single family, multifamily, land, office, retail, medical, industrial, etc.
If you need cash flow and are looking to build wealth over time - Buy properties in good locations and rent them out. This also can be applied to single family, multifamily, office, retail, medical, industrial, etc. (this also works if you are looking to do a "house hack")
Or if you want both capital and cash flow - You can apply a mix of both of these strategies and do a BRRRR.
All of those strategies that you listed in your prior post are fairytale strategies that gurus promote to make money selling courses.
When you start connecting with real local investors in real life you'll realize that the way most guys and gals have made their fortunes in real estate is by the 2 simple strategies I listed above.
I agree. Are you doing flips right now? I buy and hold right now, just slowly running out of capital for downpayments that is why I have been turning my head towards the more creative ideas to get me doors at the moment. I have done a flip before but to be honest, this volatile market scares me at the moment with flips. That is why I have been looking into trying to learn wholesaling so that I can build up capital without having to risk the flip.
Really just looking for more ways to get into a buy&hold without using a bank with 20-25% down and 9% interest. That is why I mentioned Subto, but in all honesty, I like the idea of gaining more doors through seller financing because to me, that feels wayyyyyyy safer than a Subto.
Yes I'm doing flips. I agree with you, it's a bit scarier and riskier to do flips in this market. Just need to be extra particular about what deals you get into.
Wholesaling is a full time job. I don't know any wholesalers who have succeeded just dabbling in wholesaling to make a few extra bucks. I have wholesaled a few properties over the time I've been doing this but I would never rely on it as as real source of income unless I was willing to dedicate 40+ hours per week and thousands of dollars per month on marketing.
Subto on the other hand is not even a full time job... this is the fairytale strategy I was referring to earlier. I'd be willing to bet that no matter how hard you try, and no matter how much you spend on subto education, that you will never end up doing a subto deal in your lifetime. I'm not saying this because I don't believe in you. It's because that is how much I don't believe in the strategy.
i got the absolute most out of mentoring calls with @ameliajorei (ig). i originally heard her on the bp rookie pod, and reached out on ig. she's super approachable, makes investing uncomplicated and fun, and i felt like she was just ~2 years ahead of me. that has always been way more inspiring/relatable to me than trying to learn from someone who's lightyears ahead of me, or doing way more than i even ever want to be doing. i want to say she had something like 20-30 units at that time? it was 2y ago that i started investing in calls with her and i've since gone to a few of her retreats and such and continue to find a LOT of value in having her to go to. i also really prefer learning from someone 1:1 so i can just rattle all my questions at them and get more personalized advice, and the big guru people don't usually offer this; if they do it costs like half of my year's earnings lol.