The Dunning-Kruger Effect in Real Estate Investing

The Dunning-Kruger Effect in Real Estate Investing

Real Estate Agent · Worcester, MA · Member since 2018 · 517 posts · 409 votes

I haven’t come across many articles connecting the Dunning-Kruger effect to real estate, so I thought I’d share my thoughts.

In short, the Dunning-Kruger effect explains how, when you know very little about a subject, you tend to think you know a lot. As you learn more, you realize how much you don’t know. Eventually, with time and experience, your knowledge and confidence begin to align more realistically.

This concept is incredibly relevant to real estate investing.

I encounter this often: an investor seeks advice but quickly tells me how much they already know. In their mind, they just need some local knowledge and access to off-market properties. They’re convinced they can pick the right house and make a fortune. In the last five years, I’ve had close to 10 investor clients who either became real estate agents or had their spouses do so—because they were certain they already knew enough to handle it on their own.

From here, I’ve seen things go in two directions.

One path is overconfidence: they rush out, buy properties, and quickly get themselves into trouble. Their perception of their skills far outweighs their actual knowledge, leading to costly mistakes.

The other path is paralysis: they begin to realize how much they don’t know and become stuck, afraid to make a move. This "analysis paralysis" can prevent them from acting on opportunities out of fear of making the wrong decision.

I’ve experienced this journey myself. Five years ago, I thought I had all the answers. But around three years ago, I realized just how much I still had to learn. I started listening more to other agents and experienced investors, which has helped me grow tremendously. Today, I’m in a place where I can share my knowledge and experience with clients, while still valuing their input and perspectives.

The Dunning-Kruger effect reminds us that learning is a continuous process. In real estate, as in anything else, the more we grow, the more we realize there’s always more to know.

5Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HurstBusiness Member
Lender · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Brian J Allen:

I haven’t come across many articles connecting the Dunning-Kruger effect to real estate, so I thought I’d share my thoughts.

In short, the Dunning-Kruger effect explains how, when you know very little about a subject, you tend to think you know a lot. As you learn more, you realize how much you don’t know. Eventually, with time and experience, your knowledge and confidence begin to align more realistically.

This concept is incredibly relevant to real estate investing.

I encounter this often: an investor seeks advice but quickly tells me how much they already know. In their mind, they just need some local knowledge and access to off-market properties. They’re convinced they can pick the right house and make a fortune. In the last five years, I’ve had close to 10 investor clients who either became real estate agents or had their spouses do so—because they were certain they already knew enough to handle it on their own.

From here, I’ve seen things go in two directions.

One path is overconfidence: they rush out, buy properties, and quickly get themselves into trouble. Their perception of their skills far outweighs their actual knowledge, leading to costly mistakes.

The other path is paralysis: they begin to realize how much they don’t know and become stuck, afraid to make a move. This "analysis paralysis" can prevent them from acting on opportunities out of fear of making the wrong decision.

I’ve experienced this journey myself. Five years ago, I thought I had all the answers. But around three years ago, I realized just how much I still had to learn. I started listening more to other agents and experienced investors, which has helped me grow tremendously. Today, I’m in a place where I can share my knowledge and experience with clients, while still valuing their input and perspectives.

The Dunning-Kruger effect reminds us that learning is a continuous process. In real estate, as in anything else, the more we grow, the more we realize there’s always more to know.


 You can see it everyday on this site!  A question is asked, but the answers are ignored or the OP tells the community why they are incorrect. Incredibly frustrating.  

Hurst Real Estate, INC4.989 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HurstBusiness Member
    Lender · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Brian J Allen:

    I haven’t come across many articles connecting the Dunning-Kruger effect to real estate, so I thought I’d share my thoughts.

    In short, the Dunning-Kruger effect explains how, when you know very little about a subject, you tend to think you know a lot. As you learn more, you realize how much you don’t know. Eventually, with time and experience, your knowledge and confidence begin to align more realistically.

    This concept is incredibly relevant to real estate investing.

    I encounter this often: an investor seeks advice but quickly tells me how much they already know. In their mind, they just need some local knowledge and access to off-market properties. They’re convinced they can pick the right house and make a fortune. In the last five years, I’ve had close to 10 investor clients who either became real estate agents or had their spouses do so—because they were certain they already knew enough to handle it on their own.

    From here, I’ve seen things go in two directions.

    One path is overconfidence: they rush out, buy properties, and quickly get themselves into trouble. Their perception of their skills far outweighs their actual knowledge, leading to costly mistakes.

    The other path is paralysis: they begin to realize how much they don’t know and become stuck, afraid to make a move. This "analysis paralysis" can prevent them from acting on opportunities out of fear of making the wrong decision.

    I’ve experienced this journey myself. Five years ago, I thought I had all the answers. But around three years ago, I realized just how much I still had to learn. I started listening more to other agents and experienced investors, which has helped me grow tremendously. Today, I’m in a place where I can share my knowledge and experience with clients, while still valuing their input and perspectives.

    The Dunning-Kruger effect reminds us that learning is a continuous process. In real estate, as in anything else, the more we grow, the more we realize there’s always more to know.


     You can see it everyday on this site!  A question is asked, but the answers are ignored or the OP tells the community why they are incorrect. Incredibly frustrating.  

    Hurst Real Estate, INC4.989 Reviews
  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    This is a GREAT post and so true. The Dunning-Kruger effect is running rampant in the forums. Newbies show up to ask a question, but many (not all) of them only want to hear one thing. They want to be propped up instead of questioned. They want to get a pat on the back instead of criticism. It's part of participation trophy society where people get socially rewarded for just being in the game, but that shouldn't apply to real estate. It's because the gurus tell everyone that taking action is buying, not building confidence to buy.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 203 posts · 119 votes
    1y

    Insightful post! The Dunning-Kruger effect is definitely relevant in real estate investing. I've seen people jump in with overconfidence after doing minimal research, thinking they can make quick profits. It’s a reminder that in real estate, continuous learning and valuing experienced advice can save a lot of costly mistakes.

  • Ryan SpathBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2017 · 557 posts · 376 votes
    1y

    Interesting post and very true. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.