5/1 ARM for Long-Term Hold (House Hack → Refinance) — Looking for Feedback

5/1 ARM for Long-Term Hold (House Hack → Refinance) — Looking for Feedback

Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 5 votes

Hi everyone,

I’m a first-time investor purchasing a townhome in a strong location and would appreciate some feedback from those who've used ARMs as a bridge strategy. The reason for the ARM is due to my debt to income ratio being too high as I recently graduated college but this allows me to step into the real estate world. This home is great due to its location and that is why I am strongly pushing for it.

Here’s the situation:

  • Purchase will be my primary residence initially

  • Plan to house hack in year 1

  • Rent the townhome starting year 2 and hold long term

  • The deal does not meet the 1% rule, but I’m buying based on location, appreciation potential, and long-term rent stability

  • I plan to refinance into a fixed loan (FHA -> Conventional) once the market advises me to do so

Financing details:

  • FHA 5/1 ARM

  • The ARM is being used because I currently don't have the cash to qualify for a fixed-rate loan

  • Goal is to refinance before year 6, ideally between years 1–4

I understand townhomes come with additional considerations (HOA fees, rental rules), and I've reviewed the HOA guidelines to confirm rentals are allowed.

For those who’ve done something similar:

  • What should I be most cautious about with a townhome + ARM combo?

  • Any lessons learned using an ARM before refinancing?

  • Anything you’d recommend I plan for early on?

  • Do I have the right approach or should I not purchase this home with this deal?

Appreciate any insight — thanks in advance.

1Reply
86 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8mo

    @Michael Naval

    I think it is a very wise strategy and if you will be very certain about the timing of your refinance and cash flow, an ARM can already serve as a short-term bridge. If you intend to invest, please review these three things. One, future hikes in interest rates might result to increased payments on your part. Two, HOA rental restrictions need to be checked as some areas prohibit rental or impose strict conditions making it really hard to rent. Three, the property that you are buying should still be able to generate income even if the refinancing takes longer than you expect. In a nutshell, you can be successful, therefore, always have a buffer and closely monitor market and lending conditions. This will ensure that you do not end up with an ARM for a longer period than desired.

    Good luck!

  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Michael Naval:

    Hi everyone,

    I’m a first-time investor purchasing a townhome in a strong location and would appreciate some feedback from those who've used ARMs as a bridge strategy. The reason for the ARM is due to my debt to income ratio being too high as I recently graduated college but this allows me to step into the real estate world. This home is great due to its location and that is why I am strongly pushing for it.

    Here’s the situation:

    • Purchase will be my primary residence initially

    • Plan to house hack in year 1

    • Rent the townhome starting year 2 and hold long term

    • The deal does not meet the 1% rule, but I’m buying based on location, appreciation potential, and long-term rent stability

    • I plan to refinance into a fixed loan (FHA -> Conventional) once the market advises me to do so

    Financing details:

    • FHA 5/1 ARM

    • The ARM is being used because I currently don't have the cash to qualify for a fixed-rate loan

    • Goal is to refinance before year 6, ideally between years 1–4

    I understand townhomes come with additional considerations (HOA fees, rental rules), and I've reviewed the HOA guidelines to confirm rentals are allowed.

    For those who’ve done something similar:

    • What should I be most cautious about with a townhome + ARM combo?

    • Any lessons learned using an ARM before refinancing?

    • Anything you’d recommend I plan for early on?

    • Do I have the right approach or should I not purchase this home with this deal?

    Appreciate any insight — thanks in advance.


     Have you tried shopping this around with other lenders? There are many lenders that can still offer fixed rates based on your circumstance 

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.