Little bit about me and what bigger pockets showed me.

Little bit about me and what bigger pockets showed me.

Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 6 votes

Hi everyone, my name is Trent. I'm 20 years old I just bought my first duplex a few months ago when I was 19 in a 15,000 population town a.k.a. my hometown anyways I work construction 11 hours a day and I'm trying to wholesale afterwards for one to learn the markets better and understand investing more and two to build a capital for my next deals. I just created my LLC and EIN for wholesaling, baby steps, but it's working. Don't don't like to talk about myself, but that's who I am. I appreciate everything BiggerPockets has done.

5Reply
127 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 605 votes
4mo

@Trent Voisin That is a strong start, buying your first duplex at 19 while working construction is no small feat. Wholesaling is a smart move to learn the market and build capital. You may also want to plug into a local REIA group to connect with active buyers so when you lock up deals, you already know who to move them to.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 605 votes
    4mo

    @Trent Voisin That is a strong start, buying your first duplex at 19 while working construction is no small feat. Wholesaling is a smart move to learn the market and build capital. You may also want to plug into a local REIA group to connect with active buyers so when you lock up deals, you already know who to move them to.

    • Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 6 votes
      4mo

      @Janice Carter Thank you! I am going to get into some upcoming REIA meetings, along with some realtor company meetups as well.

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 915 votes
    4mo
    Quote from @Trent Voisin:

    Hi everyone, my name is Trent. I'm 20 years old I just bought my first duplex a few months ago when I was 19 in a 15,000 population town a.k.a. my hometown anyways I work construction 11 hours a day and I'm trying to wholesale afterwards for one to learn the markets better and understand investing more and two to build a capital for my next deals. I just created my LLC and EIN for wholesaling, baby steps, but it's working. Don't don't like to talk about myself, but that's who I am. I appreciate everything BiggerPockets has done.


    You're actually ahead of most people your age already. Buying a duplex at 19 while working long construction hours is no small thing, and getting your LLC set up shows you're thinking the right way about scaling. Wholesaling on the side can help you learn your market fast, just make sure you don't burn yourself out trying to do everything at once. A lot of investors in smaller Midwest towns eventually start comparing deals across nearby Ohio markets, too, because the volume of off-market and value-add opportunities can be higher, and it gives you more room to grow into bigger plays over time. Keep stacking reps, focus on understanding numbers deeply, and the capital side will start following the skill set you're building.

  • Samuel DioufBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus & Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4mo

    Keep up the work! 

    I got into real estate when I was 19, and have been at it ever since. After buying my first rental at 20, I'm now 21 with 8 rentals and counting.

  • Sam McCormackBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH/NKY · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 833 votes
    4mo
    Quote from @Trent Voisin:

    Hi everyone, my name is Trent. I'm 20 years old I just bought my first duplex a few months ago when I was 19 in a 15,000 population town a.k.a. my hometown anyways I work construction 11 hours a day and I'm trying to wholesale afterwards for one to learn the markets better and understand investing more and two to build a capital for my next deals. I just created my LLC and EIN for wholesaling, baby steps, but it's working. Don't don't like to talk about myself, but that's who I am. I appreciate everything BiggerPockets has done.


     Sweet! Stay investing in state if you can for a while, then going out of state may be a good move

    Sam McCormack Realtor
    View Page
  • G. Brian DavisPro Member
    Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 850 votes
    4mo

    Well done @Trent Voisin! You’re building both experience and momentum at the same time which is powerful. Just make sure you protect your energy and keep focusing on learning what makes deals actually hold up long term, that’s what will really compound for you.

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4mo
    Quote from @Trent Voisin:

    Hi everyone, my name is Trent. I'm 20 years old I just bought my first duplex a few months ago when I was 19 in a 15,000 population town a.k.a. my hometown anyways I work construction 11 hours a day and I'm trying to wholesale afterwards for one to learn the markets better and understand investing more and two to build a capital for my next deals. I just created my LLC and EIN for wholesaling, baby steps, but it's working. Don't don't like to talk about myself, but that's who I am. I appreciate everything BiggerPockets has done.

    Hi Trent, welcome to BP! Honestly you’re already ahead of most people your age just by actually taking action, buying a duplex, and getting your LLC and EIN set up instead of just thinking about it. Working long construction hours and then still putting time into wholesaling is not easy, so the main thing I’d say is just make sure you don’t burn yourself out trying to do everything at once, especially early on. Wholesaling can be a great way to learn markets and build capital like you said, but the biggest mistake newer people make is jumping between too many strategies before they really understand one area or one type of deal. Since you already own a duplex, you’re also in a great position to learn from your own asset while you’re building the wholesaling side, especially around what actually rents, what needs repairs, and what buyers in your area really want. Keep stacking reps, keep your focus tight on your local market first, and don’t overcomplicate it in the beginning, consistency over a long period is what usually separates people who build real portfolios from people who just stay “busy.”
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.