Highest bidder on Homesearch.com auction, what now?

Highest bidder on Homesearch.com auction, what now?

Bowie, MD · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 2 votes

I was the highest (not winning) bidder on an online auction. Homesearch.com called the next day and said that my bid was "waay off the reserve price", so it must be forwarded to the bank for review. The representative wanted to know if this was my "final and best" offer. I said that I'll let them know tomorrow, after talking with my realtor and possibly an attorney. She said ok.

The auction did seem a bit suspicious to me...it seemed like I was the only bidder (besides what seemed like straw bids from the auction house). Also, as the time between my bids became longer (I was reaching my pre-determined limit), the bid increment dropped from $7500 to $2500. Seemed like they were trying to get me to press that button one more time!

Anyway, I'd like some opinions about what to do. Should I stand on my original price? Should I offer a few thousand more? It's a potentially very nice home, but needs a lot of work. If I give them much more, there is not a lot of room for profit on a flip.

Has anyone stood on their original bid and had it accepted? Thanks.

0Reply
269 views

Most Popular Reply

Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
12y

In another thread recently someone pointed out that on most of these auction sites (and I think HomeSearch was one the called out specifically) if you read all the terms they do basically say they reserve the right to put in BS bids on their properties to drive up the price.  So that very well could be what was happening to you.

Regardless of that issue... As far as paying more than your bid, that is up to you based on what you think it is worth.  Sounds like you can't go up much and still make the profit you want.  That sounds like the answer is stick with the original or go up a small amount that is still in the range you wanted to be in.

In my past experience I have had this situation always happen where I have no met the reserve but have been the high bidder. I have had them just give it to me since they wanted to be rid of it. I have had them come back and say they needed more and since it was a good deal I did go up a little but still within my MAO. I have also had some come back and said I didn't meet the minimum and give me a price they are willing to sell for and I declined as it was way more than I ever would have considered bidding.

All that is just to say that there is noway to really know what they will do.  You might say "No my bid was my highest and best" and they give it to you or you might go up past where you should and they still might not feel it is enough.  

Good luck but my advice is no deal is better than a crappy one, so don't overpay.

See this reply in the discussion

77 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Parker, TX · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Greg H.:

    @Gary Fischer

    Be sure to double check your numbers as Zillow is worthless in Texas as we are a non disclosure state meaning that sales prices are not disclosed

     Thanks Greg... I'm here in TX as well. In FL the sales price is disclosed. It seems to be a safe number for the area in fact hopefully(especially with what I will put into it) a low estimate as a comp I pulled up on the same street 200 sq ft less same bed/bath sold 16 days ago for $285k. Several other comps in a small radius supporting similar values

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Gary Fischer, where in FL are you investing?

  • Real Estate Investor · Parker, TX · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Aly W.:

    @Gary Fischer, where in FL are you investing?

     Hi Aly, This one is in Pensacola. I'm back in the DFW area now but lived in South Walton County in the Seaside/Seagrove area between Panama City Beach(Bay County) and Destin(Okaloosa County) from 2001 to 2013. I've been looking in a number of areas in FL and TX as well. Looks like will be Pensacola for a few months :-)

  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    11y

    @Gary Fischer

    Congrats, I know the house you picked up and it is a great area.  I was watching the auction and I'm interested in seeing how it turns out.  Let me know if you need anything.  

    -Bill

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Thanks @Gary Fischer, and congrats! My husband and I have been investing in Ft. Lauderdale since 2010, when great deals were falling off trees....not so much now! We may need to expand, but glad it worked out well for you.

  • Real Estate Investor · Parker, TX · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Thanks @William Allen Will be in touch once I close and get back out there...

    and Thank you too @Aly W. We'll see how well it actually works out :-). This is my first fix n flip. I've lived down in that part of FL too or South of there... A LONG time ago South of Miami, (Kendall, Cutler, Palmetto Bay area). You might keep an eye out in NW FL. I had my real estate license there 2005-2007 and there are some really good deals it seems to me right now. I was bidding on a 3 bed 3 bath 1800 sq ft Panama City Beach condo in a nice beachfront building, 7th floor. All bedrooms had doors to balconies. All bedrooms had floor to ceiling glass walls on the ocean side. I checked VRBO for other 3/3s in the building and for the most part booked through the season at around $2400-$2700/week. Association fees were $1000 a month though. Pretty high. The only listings in there I saw were $365k and $399k, but, most recent sale at $325k. The one I was bidding on went for $260k and reserve was met. I was out of it way before that.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Thanks John, good to know. We've only purchased long term rentals, not vacation properties. We have friends in Schenley Park (Miami), and it's gotten crazy there and in FLL. Glad we got in at the bottom of the market but are still looking to increase our properties. We'll have to consider another area of FL entirely, and build a team there - we live in NJ.

  • Real Estate Investor · Parker, TX · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    And as I am sure a lot of people have mentioned when investing in condos, be careful on foreclosures and the association dues. Also, if you're planning on financing the purchase, that $1000/mo association due has a big impact on how easy it is to qualify. Like on that particular one in PCB, if someone wasn't making their mortgage payment they haven't made association dues payments either. One reason I stopped pretty early on that one was because there was a $68k lien recorded for delinquent association dues. That particular condo was bought back by the mortgage company in the foreclosure auction and at least the way I read the law, if a condo in FL is purchased back by the bank in the foreclosure auction and then sold as an REO the buyer can only be held liable for the last 12 months in dues. Maybe someone who has had to deal with that situation could confirm this. I didn't have time to check with a real estate attorney in FL so I pretty much stopped bidding where I'd be ok even if I had to pay all the back dues. I'm assuming for it to have gone for $260k means either I read that law correctly or the winner wasn't aware of the lien.

  • Chino Valley, AZ · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    11y
    Gary, how are things going with the property you won at auction?  Did it close escrow successfully?  Any  news?

    We just won an auction TODAY on Homesearch.  Reserve not met, but we still won the bid.  There was at least one other person (besides the computer) bidding because between auction start and auction end, it bid up over 40k without me touching it.  I waited until the last 20 seconds and put my 1st bid in.  It added 5 min to the clock.  I waited again, until the last 8 seconds, and put a 2nd bid in BUT it errored out saying it wasn't high enough.  Turns out my other competing bidder put in the same bid at the same time, but that's ok because it added another 5 min.  Third try again happened at the end of the 5 minutes.  Instead of putting in just 1 bid increment ($1500) I upped my bid by 2 increments.  I put it in in the last 4 seconds.  It added 5 more minutes to the clock.  We let it run all the way down and no other bids were placed.

    Waiting to hear.  How soon have you all been getting phone calls/emails from Homesearch?  I don't want to call them because I don't want to sound over-eager.
  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    11y

    They called me a day or two after the auction ended

  • Chino Valley, AZ · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    No phone call yet.  But I got an email this morning stating: "Your offer on the above mentioned property has been submitted to the seller for review. We will notify you of the seller response as soon as it has been received."

    So now we wait.

  • Real Estate Investor · Parker, TX · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    @Louisa Cash

    Hello Louisa....The day after my bid closed as high bidder, reserve not met. I received an email acknowledging being the high bidder. I was able to communicate fairly easily with the person at Homesearch that sent that email. They said Nationstar was considering the offer. I heard back one week after their initial personal contact and was told the offer was accepted. I have a completed signed contract from the seller with closing scheduled, and earnest money in escrow with the title company. So far so good. I haven't run into any real problems. I have actually been out of town checking the property out so I just saw your post here. I saw you now have heard from them on yours. Good luck on having them accept. I'm very pleased so far with what appears to be an excellent deal we got on our property. 

  • Chino Valley, AZ · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Gary Fischer:

    @Louisa Cash

    Hello Louisa....The day after my bid closed as high bidder, reserve not met. I received an email acknowledging being the high bidder. I was able to communicate fairly easily with the person at Homesearch that sent that email. They said Nationstar was considering the offer. I heard back one week after their initial personal contact and was told the offer was accepted. I have a completed signed contract from the seller with closing scheduled, and earnest money in escrow with the title company. So far so good. I haven't run into any real problems. I have actually been out of town checking the property out so I just saw your post here. I saw you now have heard from them on yours. Good luck on having them accept. I'm very pleased so far with what appears to be an excellent deal we got on our property. 

     Gary our experience is so far MIRRORING yours.  I'm so thankful for your posts as your experience seemed so different from what happened to us back in October (with a phone call asking for our best/highest etc and having to come in with a higher number).

    Here is what has happened so far:

    1) Won auction bid on Thursday last week. RESERVE not met.

    2) Received email early Friday morning stating that our offer had been submitted to the seller for review and a response would be given as soon as they were notified.

    3) A full week went by.  As of yesterday (Thursday) the Homesearch rep said they still had not heard.  But today (Friday) one week from the day of the original email we received bid confirmations that our offer was accepted, and provided next steps.

    They sure had us on our toes for a week but it was worth the wait.  Now I wonder if they have a standard/set escrow period or if we can expedite it.  I may call the seller's agent to find out.

  • Real Estate Investor · Parker, TX · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    @Louisa Cash

    Seems to me from reading other experiences if they just email that they submitted the offer without calling and asking for your highest offer, it may be that the offer seems like a reasonable offer and they expect it will be accepted. Yes, the week wait makes me feel kind of stalled. I don't want to waste time not making other offers if it won't be accepted. 

    Hope you got a great deal. I am happy with mine. I don't know what state yours was in or what kind of deal you're getting but..... Mine being in FL I was able to see what Nationstar took the property back for at the foreclosure auction. They had taken the property back at $158,100 and it was on a $241k balance due on the mortgage. A pretty fair ARV on the property is I believe $279k. My bid was $152,500 plus their 5% making it $160,125. With closing, I would have to keep rehab at $30k to be at 70% of ARV for purchase price plus rehab cost. I most likely will be in the $30k-$50k range. If @ $50k I will have 77% of ARV in the property. I will still be happy with the return if it all works out that way.

  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    11y

    @Gary Fischer

    When do you close and get started?

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Has anyone yet to actually close on a property from homesearch.com???

    I have two houses under contract from HomeSearch. One has been under contract for 3 weeks and still waiting on title. The other has been less than a week. 

    I am very curious to how long it can take from start to finish??? Any insights are valued!!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Parker, TX · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    I have seen a number of people who have closed and I have yet to close my first. However, that was due to my not having financing lined up on time so they extended. You won't have a problem closing with them. That's Nationstar and they want the property out of inventory

  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    11y

    @Zach Leasure

    I closed on a homesearch property 2 weeks after we had a signed contract, cash purchase in Southern MD.  I'm sure all properties are different, this one had clean title and moved quickly.  

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Thanks @William Allen I know one property has a clean title so hopefully it won't be much longer. Both are all cash deals as well.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dunedin, FL · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 61 votes
    11y

    @Gary Fischer @William Allen i am also waiting for my offer to be reviewed for a FL property. Besides the 5% buyer's premium, what other costs did you have to pay at closing? There is something like recording stamps in FL I think- did they pay that? any other costs? because if it's much more on top the 5% buyer;s premium my margin is going to be pretty skinny..... this is my first home search auction and i only just figured out the whole straw bidding thing 

  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    11y

    @Waverly Rennie

    I bought my property in MD and not Florida so there will be some differences. I'm sure there are some folks on here that have bought a homesearch.com house in Florida that would share what their HUD looked like. There are state taxes and title insurance fees that you will pay at closing in florida. 70 cents per $100 for the state tax stamps if you are paying cash. If there is a loan on it you will be paying more than that due to tax on the note and lenders title insurance. My last owners title insurance policy cost me 0.575% of the purchase price when paying cash. That may give you an idea of the fees involved for closing.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dunedin, FL · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 61 votes
    11y

    @William Allen thanks so much for the info. I just got an email saying they accepted my offer, which confirms my impression that I paid way too much! it's an occupied property supposedly so that will be fun to deal with when I get back to the states from lovely Guinea.....

  • Investor · schaumburg, IL · Member since 2008 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    if I cancel my final bid offrr, do I get my 3$350 back from homesesrch.com

  • Investor · schaumburg, IL · Member since 2008 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    $2500

  • Horsham, PA · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Great thread. Very informative. Thank you all. 

    I am looking at a property on Homesearch.com right now and this is in PA. 

    Zillow history shows that this is a recent foreclosure. And the home is owned by Wells Fargo. 

    Does the fact that the home is now being auctioned via homesearch.com mean that Wells Fargo has sold it to Nation Star? Or am I wrong in that assumption. 

    All public records for the home indicate that the home is currently owned by Wells Fargo. 

    Thanks in advance for your responses. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.