Highest bidder on Homesearch.com auction, what now?

Highest bidder on Homesearch.com auction, what now?

Bowie, MD · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 2 votes

I was the highest (not winning) bidder on an online auction. Homesearch.com called the next day and said that my bid was "waay off the reserve price", so it must be forwarded to the bank for review. The representative wanted to know if this was my "final and best" offer. I said that I'll let them know tomorrow, after talking with my realtor and possibly an attorney. She said ok.

The auction did seem a bit suspicious to me...it seemed like I was the only bidder (besides what seemed like straw bids from the auction house). Also, as the time between my bids became longer (I was reaching my pre-determined limit), the bid increment dropped from $7500 to $2500. Seemed like they were trying to get me to press that button one more time!

Anyway, I'd like some opinions about what to do. Should I stand on my original price? Should I offer a few thousand more? It's a potentially very nice home, but needs a lot of work. If I give them much more, there is not a lot of room for profit on a flip.

Has anyone stood on their original bid and had it accepted? Thanks.

0Reply
277 views

Most Popular Reply

Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
12y

In another thread recently someone pointed out that on most of these auction sites (and I think HomeSearch was one the called out specifically) if you read all the terms they do basically say they reserve the right to put in BS bids on their properties to drive up the price.  So that very well could be what was happening to you.

Regardless of that issue... As far as paying more than your bid, that is up to you based on what you think it is worth.  Sounds like you can't go up much and still make the profit you want.  That sounds like the answer is stick with the original or go up a small amount that is still in the range you wanted to be in.

In my past experience I have had this situation always happen where I have no met the reserve but have been the high bidder. I have had them just give it to me since they wanted to be rid of it. I have had them come back and say they needed more and since it was a good deal I did go up a little but still within my MAO. I have also had some come back and said I didn't meet the minimum and give me a price they are willing to sell for and I declined as it was way more than I ever would have considered bidding.

All that is just to say that there is noway to really know what they will do.  You might say "No my bid was my highest and best" and they give it to you or you might go up past where you should and they still might not feel it is enough.  

Good luck but my advice is no deal is better than a crappy one, so don't overpay.

See this reply in the discussion

77 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Sun City, CA · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Sue, thank you for the response. We are presently in escrow on our home that we will be using as our primary residence and this is the home we are in contract with Nationstar Mortgage LLC. We did bid on this home via HomeSearch.com and it was the scenario where we were the highest bidder but reserve was not met. We did receive a phone call the following day asking for our highest absolute offer, in which I did offer a higher number than my highest bid on the auction. Our contract is set to end tomorrow and have yet to receive an extension notice or phone call from our Realtor.

    This discussion began regarding HomeSearch.com, and I'd like more feedback from people that have been through an entire transaction with HomeSearch.com and Nationstar Mortgage LLC.

    As I said before, we as buyers have done everything in a quick and timely fashion as well as paying the deposit and having funds ready for this all cash purchase.  We have a hard time understanding what took so long to have the Deed in Liue signed and especially recorded with the county.  

  • Sun City, CA · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Update:

    Tomorrow will be Jan. 5, 2015 and as far as I know the Deed in Lieu has still not been recorded despite it being signed and in the Bank's attorney's office SIGNED by the previously foreclosed owner on Dec. 18, 2014.  It baffles my mind that if something is signed and ready to recorded, that it would not be recorded with the county within a few business days.

    We are still waiting it out.

  • Chesapeake, VA · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 1 vote
    11y

    I just bought a foreclosure  thru homesearch. I saw the home listed for sale by an agent and had already seen the home. It was out of my price range. A few months later I was informed the house was on auction. I watched as the reserve was never met. A few months later I saw it on auction again. I bid 100k less than I saw the last auction close at with the reserve not met. I did not meet the reserve. The next day I got "the call" stating I was the high bidder and I was way under the reserve. They asked if I would like to go higher. Knowing I was still under the last auction reserve, I told them I might be able to go 10K more but I would have to check with the bank. The next morning I had an emailed contract saying I won, and the 10k was added to the price. I was worried it was a scam and did as much research as I could. I contacted the previous agent and was able to get  other info on the home. The agent did not know a lot about homesearch other than they took it from him to auction and he was still going to get a commission. The whole thing from start to finish was suspicious. Closing day came and went w/o any Deed and my mortgage Co. would not close. My Mortgage Co. began making calls and handled most of it for me after this point. Finally 12 days after scheduled closing the deed was in hand and we closed this week. The banks appraiser showed me w close to 200k equity in the home. Inspection showed needing only minor fixes. The whole thing was very stressful, however its seems to be worth it..at this point

  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    11y

    @Andrew Spelman If you are still looking for homesearch.com experiences here is a post I did about mine...

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/41/topics/1459...

    And here was our result...

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/223/topics/167...

    I hope yours turns out the same or better.  Good luck!

  • Homeowner · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    I'm really curious what happened to @Kathy Lu -- anyone else? 

    I'm about to bid on a property on Homesearch.com -- kind of nervous, this is my first. I'm checking for Liens now and going to visit the property here in a few. I'm curious though. This property says Cash only. Why would they care Cash or Loan??

  • Rental Property Investor · Manteno, IL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    Because if they say cash only then you'll be required to show proof of funds. Typically, unless you go on a bender, you're not going to lose your money. But financing is always going to leave the possibility of being yanked.   So one of the reasons they require cash is that you're more likely than not to close.

    One other reason could be that the house still has an occupant in it or may have an occupant in it. I'm seeing auction.com deals that are almost all that way now. Very few deals on there allow for financing.

    Don't bid on a cash only deal if you need to buy with financing. You'll be throwing your earnest money away.

    Hubzu typically allows financing and I bought a house off there last year. It actually went pretty well to be honest. The key is that you want to pay the extra money and use your own title company.  Then you know you'll have clean title.

    My understanding is that if you use hubzu's title company, you're in for a long ride to get that deal to close. Offshore employees that aren't as diligent or responsive.

  • Homeowner · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Thanks @Mike H.  -- appreciate the response. I had a friend tell me about Hubzu. I'll check it out too.

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    11y

    Just finished an unsuccessful bid.  Lessons learned might be useful.   Primarily - Lost bid although my "winning bid" transferred at 10 second clock.  Sometimes the internet and HomeSearch computers are not as fast as one would like.  Secondly - Caution as bidding clock is reset several times at end of auction SO the countdown clock is not a very truthful representation.  I am sure buried in the "itsy bitsy" print is a disclosure BUT nor fully apparent.  Far more transparency should be mandated by regulatory authorities.  Best of Luck.

  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    11y

    The clock resets each time a new bid is placed to allow for a response bid. They do state in their terms that they can place bids themselves so beware of that. 

  • Oakland, CA · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    I am planning on bidding on a remote property through Homesearch. If there are liens on the property, am I responsible for the payment of liens upon purchase? Is there a way to check on liens remotely?

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Kathy Lu:

    Shaun, thanks for the advice. This confirms my thoughts....the online auctions are not true auctions, but a way to open a negotiation with the bank for an REO.

    I agree that it is inadvisable to overpay, so I told them that I had made my best offer. We'll see what the reply is in a few days. If I get it, great. If not, I'll bid again or find another opportunity.

    At auctins there is almost  always a shill among the bidders .  That person is who the auctioneer uses to get the price higher .  

    In my opinion , it isnt an auction if there is a reserve.

  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    11y

    @Serg Ela 

    It depends on where the property is and what kind of public records you can find.  However, even then you may not find all the liens on the property.  Paying a title company to do a search is the best way but I'm sure that isn't what you wanted to hear.

  • Oakland, CA · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Homesearch event agreement  says the properties (with exception of recent foreclosures) will be transferred under warranty deed. I understand that under such deed, the seller is selling a clean title with no liens and the title insurance is covering the transaction. Did I get that right?

  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    11y

    general warranty deed or special warranty deed?  I suspect it is a special warranty deed which would cover you for the time they owned the property.  However, liens should be found during the title search if the existed previously.  If the agreement states warranty deed the should be passing you clear title.

  • Kensington, MD · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Yes, I have been a party (as an agent) to an auction on Homesearch where the reserve was met.  My client was a cash purchaser. The auction site's terms and conditions say that a cash buyer has 15 days to close.  Our negotiated contract gives him over 60 days to close.  Stick to your guns!

    Also--One of their customer service reps told me that a buyer has to take over all the liens.  That is contradicted by some of the other posts.  to be researched further.

  • Kensington, MD · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Scott Campbell, many times the foreclosing lender does not record their deed until just before they resell the property.  They are trying to avoid paying double transfer and recordation taxes.

  • Oakland, CA · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    William, it is imdeed a special warranty deed they are offering, and that just does not seem secure enough.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 1 post · 0 votes
    11y

    Hello, I've read through this thread and other websites but still had a few questions I wanted to ask realtor pros and those who have gone through the process on HomeSearch.com. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    1) The property I am interested shows that Greenlight financing is available. Has anybody used Greenlight and how fast were they approved?

    2) In terms of cash sale and auction rules - do all auctions have a "must pay with cash within 3 days of auction ending" rule? Basically, I have the funds to pay in cash but they are not liquidated funds (stock, etc). Can I still bid and show them source of funds or have the listing agent right it in the contract? I don't want to lose out just because it takes me an extra few days to "process" my funds into hard cash.

    Again, thanks to anybody who have been in this specific situation. I am not a first time homeowner so my questions really relate to Greelight, and #2 just to the process of how fast the bank wants cash in their hands. Hoping their is some leniency here.

    Matt

  • Chino Valley, AZ · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    I just wanted to share my experience with homesearch.  We SUCCESSFULLY bought a property on auction in Oct 2014.  It had gone to auction at least 4 times before we won it.  We bid on it in three auctions.  The first we were simply outbid at the last minute, probably by the phantom bidder (the reserve price was not met).  The second, we pushed the bid up against the auctioneer until we met our personal limit, again the reserve was not met and at the last second another bid came in and we lost.  The third and winning time, we had more cash than before and we followed a few strategies.  We watched the countdown clock and would always put our bid in within the last 1 minute of the countdown.  We found that if the bid was placed with a great deal of time left, it would add another 5-10 minutes to the auction.  We put our bids in with less and less time left...20 seconds left, etc. and at some point, it ran out and we were the highest bidder. By the way, you will notice that the bid increments go up to $7500, but as the time runs out, they entice you with lower and lower bid increments, to the point where they are only asking for 1k or $500 more as the next bid.  So don't get tempted.

    We won the auction at 110k or so, and got the call that we were below reserve and was that our "highest/best".  We got nervous so we gave them our absolute highest/best at 126k and they INSTANTLY, without hesitation, said "you win".  Made me wonder if I left money on the table.  So now having gone through the experience I would say it can be very worth it, though it's funny to see the tricks they use to bid up the auction.

    Don't even bother bidding until the final day.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Louisa Cash, you describe the strategy I use on eBay ;) Back in the day, it was called sniping the auction. I'm considering a property on Homesearch. I've heard horror stories about Hubzu, and would love to hear the rest of your experience after closing on the Homesearch property. Would you share? Thanks!

  • Chino Valley, AZ · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Aly W.:

    @Louisa Cash, you describe the strategy I use on eBay ;) Back in the day, it was called sniping the auction. I'm considering a property on Homesearch. I've heard horror stories about Hubzu, and would love to hear the rest of your experience after closing on the Homesearch property. Would you share? Thanks!

     Aly the experience was seamless.  Granted buying a house as is/where is sight unseen is generally frightening but it was okay for us.  The bidding process is just like sniping on Ebay.  Don't bother to bid until the last half hour of the last day.  If you do, you'll just encourage the computer to place straw bids against you.  The house we ended up with ended up being double the square footage and bedrooms than was listed on auction and we sold it for a good profit.  It was a foreclosure so there were holes in many of the walls so we had to repair drywall and re-paint the whole house, but it was definitely worth it.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

  • Real Estate Investor · Parker, TX · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Louisa Cash:
    Originally posted by @Aly W.:

    @Louisa Cash, you describe the strategy I use on eBay ;) Back in the day, it was called sniping the auction. I'm considering a property on Homesearch. I've heard horror stories about Hubzu, and would love to hear the rest of your experience after closing on the Homesearch property. Would you share? Thanks!

     Aly the experience was seamless.  Granted buying a house as is/where is sight unseen is generally frightening but it was okay for us.  The bidding process is just like sniping on Ebay.  Don't bother to bid until the last half hour of the last day.  If you do, you'll just encourage the computer to place straw bids against you.  The house we ended up with ended up being double the square footage and bedrooms than was listed on auction and we sold it for a good profit.  It was a foreclosure so there were holes in many of the walls so we had to repair drywall and re-paint the whole house, but it was definitely worth it.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

     Thanks for the feedback. I'm waiting to hear back on one from them right now. It was kind of strange. As you see throughout this thread people being the high bidder but below the reserve and called and asked if they can go higher. In my case, I received an email from a rep there simply stating my offer was below the reserve and being submitted to the bank for approval. I was told usually they have an answer back within 3-5 days and it's been 6 days. Other auctions I would liked to have bid on I can't now though while in limbo. If you read their terms, they say if you are the high bidder but below the reserve they have 15 days to accept or reject your offer. If they come back on the 15th day following the auctions and accept your offer and you do no execute a purchase agreement and purchase the property you are in breach of the terms of the agreement to place a bid in the auction and will forfeit your $2500 deposit to bid. So be careful. I am a little frustrated at the moment having to wait on them but I can't afford to buy 2 properties right now and if I bid on another and won I would also be required to purchase that one. If my bids were accepted on both and I only close on one they can keep my $2500 deposit on the other.  Just keep that in mind when bidding. If you are the high bidder but it doesn't meet the reserve and you can't afford to purchase a couple of properties, you could be held up for 15 days from looking for another deal and have them reject the offer in the end. I guess unless another deal you find is just so good you don't care if they keep their deposit. 

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Thanks for the info @Louisa Cash and @Gary Fischer

  • Real Estate Investor · Parker, TX · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Just a follow up to my post yesterday. Homesearch did accept my offer on that property. The auction actually ended on the 22nd. I was told the 23rd they would review the offer. Got word back today they accepted the offer, so, it took a week for them to review and get back to me. I think I got a pretty good deal. Zestimate is $270k, Nationstar was high bidder at the foreclosure auction and took it back at $158,100 and my bid price on Homesearch was $152,500 to which they will add 5%. 

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Gary Fischer

    Be sure to double check your numbers as Zillow is worthless in Texas as we are a non disclosure state meaning that sales prices are not disclosed

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.