Homesearch.com experience

Homesearch.com experience

Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes

I wanted to post my experience so far with homesearch.com for any of those who are thinking of buying through them in the future. I won't go into the bidding that has been brought up in previous threads but if anyone has questions ask away.

I intially submitted an offer to the listing agent while the foreclosed house was attached to the auction site to try and get them to take my offer and take it off the auction block (it was still listed on the MLS while it was on the auction site). They said no and they were letting it go to auction. I watched the first auction and didn't participate, house didn't meet the reserve. The next day it was put back on the auction site with an auction date 2 weeks away. I again submitted an offer to try to get them to pull it off the block, no luck. I bid on the second auction and wasn't the high bidder as it went above my max bid, again didn't meet reserve. The next day it was back on the auction website with an auction date set 2 weeks away. I bid again on the third auction and was the high bidder, $25k lower than the last auction and didn't meet the reserve.

That afternoon I got a call from a homesearch.com representative asking what my highest price was. I expected this call due to the research I had done and gave them my answer, a few thousand above what the auction ended at but almost $20k less than my original written offer. 2 days later I had a contract in my email, signed it and a day later it was signed by the asset manager at the bank.

We are now under contract and should be closing in about a week. I will post an update when it is all said and done for anyone that is interested in following.

This will be our first flip so we are excited and nervous at the same time. The margin is good and I hope it stays that way. This also gives us multiple exit strategies in case the sale or renovation doesn't go as planned.

3Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 474 posts · 214 votes
11y
Originally posted by @Peter Damato:

Hi William and fellow investors,

I hope in the future to add to the convo but for now I seek guidance...

My first foreclose win through Home Search . Concerned about reviews and actually closing and getting eviction done. I am reluctant to complete the contract with all the open end issues, as buyers have no rights...
.. Love the First Coast and want to rent to the college folk in JAX.
135K winning bid. 340K foreclosure lien, bank bought it back at 72K. does this make sense? Did I over pay? resale's in area are 175K+ but with the unknowns ( no walkthrough, occupied, unknown closing date...)
Additionally I found about 5K in additional HOA liens since it appears with the special deeds the new owner will assume all outstanding debt..

I do have several properties in NY with some experience but this is a different game and appreciate any feedback.
Many thanks, Peterd

 This sounds very very risky...and without huge upside. There's a chance it could work but not worth it imo. 

See this reply in the discussion

24 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Hi @William Allen ,

    Congrats on winning your first flip property. Curious to know what the ARV and your bid price ended up at, as well as estimated Rehab cost? Is it in the Pensacola area?

    Thanks,
    Chad 

  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    12y

    Chad,

    This house is in southern MD, don't get back to Pensacola for another 6 months or so. The ARV is $240k and the purchase price was $120k. Estimated repair costs of $40k but may add a little bit more to the SOW since we got it lower than expected. I will write a post about it when we get going.

  • Rental Property Investor · Gulf Breeze, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 733 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @William Allen:

    Chad,

    This house is in southern MD, don't get back to Pensacola for another 6 months or so. The ARV is $240k and the purchase price was $120k. Estimated repair costs of $40k but may add a little bit more to the SOW since we got it lower than expected. I will write a post about it when we get going.

     Congrats!  Sounds like a great deal!

  • Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Wow, that IS a great deal! Kudos for picking it up. You should make a stellar ROI on it.

    Chad

  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    12y

    I hope so, long way to go yet and lots of variables. Looking forward to jumping in though!

  • Homer Glen, IL · Member since 2014 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    11y
    @William Allen I'm very curious to see if you have an update on this investment property. We are putting in an offer on a home search property not through the auction website, but through the listing agent. Thanks for sharing your experience. -Heather
  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    11y

    Heather, sorry I haven't updated the post in a while. We closed on the property about 2 weeks after we had a fully ratified contract. Everything went smoothly and we got a $500 closing credit from the seller for closing early. There were a couple of unforseen issues with the house that I didn't catch on the initial walkthrough but nothing major. The biggest problem was that the deck was built on top of the gas meter. We were already planning on doing some work on the deck so we just cut a section off to expose the gas meter. Other than that, the budget went up slightly due to some of the finishes we picked but that has nothing to do with the auction site.

    Like I said in the original post, I tried to go through the listing agent but they must have been under a contract with homesearch.com and didn't want anything to do with my offers (eventhough they were higher than the final sales price). I am glad we went with the auction site as it saved us a lot of money. Also realize though, my experience may not be the same as yours since I'm sure it is property specific so beware. The communication between their attorney and myself were good throughout the process. If you have any more specific questions feel free to send me a message, email or call. Good luck!

  • Investor · Hendersonville, TN · Member since 2014 · 52 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    Hi,

    Sounds like a great deal! Any updates? Hope it is still going well.

    Anyone else want to chime in on bidding strategy or direct me to a thread? I'm trying to get my first on Homesearch.com this weekend but I'm fully anticipating it going back on the auction a few times before anyone gets it. Listed (which I'm assuming is close the the "reserve") about 30k higher than it needs to be. It's a classic example of a listing agent who knows absolutely nothing about who these houses need to be marketed to and what kind of work they need.

    J

  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    11y

    @John Shortridge , and luck on the property you were looking at? I apologize for not responding sooner, I am still not getting notifications via email for some reason. We finished our house about 3 weeks ago and closed on it yesterday. Turned out to be very profitable for us and a great experience. I'm worried that the first one went too well, glad we waited on the right house to come along.

  • Investor · Hendersonville, TN · Member since 2014 · 52 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    Good to hear. I did bid on, and win, and now have a contract on the property I was looking at. Wish me luck! The process with working with homesearch was pretty easy (although woefully one-sided in favor of the seller). I tipped their reserve price when I bid my MPP so it worked out for me. I'm somewhat kicking myself thinking that had I let it close under the reserve they maybe would have re-listed it and I could have gotten it cheaper... but who knows. I got it for a price I knew would work for me and I'm happy.

  • Real Estate Professional · San Francisco-East bay, CA · Member since 2013 · 340 posts · 50 votes
    11y

    I have bought property as winning bidder on homesearch.com and did a flip.

    Now, on the other side, a different property, I am also talking to current owner who will be foreclosed on this property if it is not sold before Jan mid and I have a great offer ( in my opinion) to match what the owed amount is.  But the bank does not budge, as they want all the pending fees, attorney fees, and what not. That wont make it a deal for me.

    I know, I will watch the auction for this property and go through that route,  sounds like that is how it will work.

    Thanks, 

    Naveen. 

  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    11y

    @Naveen Desai how did things go on that property you were looking at?

  • Real Estate Professional · San Francisco-East bay, CA · Member since 2013 · 340 posts · 50 votes
    11y

    @William Allen ,  This has not been an easy one.  Since bank is not co-operating, now the person who is being foreclosed upon is not co-operating with the bank for the foreclosure and is saying, if need be, he may have to be evicted.

    I am still working on this after 2 and half months to pursue and I am in contract, but things have been shifting in and out. Let us see how it goes. May be by this month end if it is not all done, I will have to drop this. Even if I buy it, the current owner ( foreclosed) is not talking now and may need an eviction process started. Quite a challenge.  But homesearch.com does not have any role in this other than auction itself. 

    Thanks, 

    Naveen. 

  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    11y

    Yeah, that is the hard part.  With occupied properties like that it can make it much more difficult.  I try to stick to the unoccupied houses when doing my search because it is possible for them to drag on for a long time with an upset occupant.  Good luck and I look forward to hearing the result. 

  • Huntington, NY · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Hi William and fellow investors,

    I hope in the future to add to the convo but for now I seek guidance...

    My first foreclose win through Home Search . Concerned about reviews and actually closing and getting eviction done. I am reluctant to complete the contract with all the open end issues, as buyers have no rights...
    .. Love the First Coast and want to rent to the college folk in JAX.
    135K winning bid. 340K foreclosure lien, bank bought it back at 72K. does this make sense? Did I over pay? resale's in area are 175K+ but with the unknowns ( no walkthrough, occupied, unknown closing date...)
    Additionally I found about 5K in additional HOA liens since it appears with the special deeds the new owner will assume all outstanding debt..

    I do have several properties in NY with some experience but this is a different game and appreciate any feedback.
    Many thanks, Peterd

  • Real Estate Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 474 posts · 214 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Peter Damato:

    Hi William and fellow investors,

    I hope in the future to add to the convo but for now I seek guidance...

    My first foreclose win through Home Search . Concerned about reviews and actually closing and getting eviction done. I am reluctant to complete the contract with all the open end issues, as buyers have no rights...
    .. Love the First Coast and want to rent to the college folk in JAX.
    135K winning bid. 340K foreclosure lien, bank bought it back at 72K. does this make sense? Did I over pay? resale's in area are 175K+ but with the unknowns ( no walkthrough, occupied, unknown closing date...)
    Additionally I found about 5K in additional HOA liens since it appears with the special deeds the new owner will assume all outstanding debt..

    I do have several properties in NY with some experience but this is a different game and appreciate any feedback.
    Many thanks, Peterd

     This sounds very very risky...and without huge upside. There's a chance it could work but not worth it imo. 

  • Investor · Hendersonville, TN · Member since 2014 · 52 posts · 6 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Peter Damato:

    Hi William and fellow investors,

    I hope in the future to add to the convo but for now I seek guidance...

    My first foreclose win through Home Search . Concerned about reviews and actually closing and getting eviction done. I am reluctant to complete the contract with all the open end issues, as buyers have no rights...
    .. Love the First Coast and want to rent to the college folk in JAX.
    135K winning bid. 340K foreclosure lien, bank bought it back at 72K. does this make sense? Did I over pay? resale's in area are 175K+ but with the unknowns ( no walkthrough, occupied, unknown closing date...)
    Additionally I found about 5K in additional HOA liens since it appears with the special deeds the new owner will assume all outstanding debt..

    I do have several properties in NY with some experience but this is a different game and appreciate any feedback.
    Many thanks, Peterd

     Can I ask you how you plan on making money if your winning bid was 135k and you think it can sell for 175+ (I'm assuming 175-200?). Just curious cause I have seen ALOT of houses go on auction sites for prices that just make me scratch my head... like how is someone going to make any money on this. These being houses that I have walked through and evaluated and have a very good idea of the costs needed to renovate. 

    Cheers!

  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    11y

    @John Shortridge

    It sounds like he is buying as a long term rental.  Maybe the numbers work in that case but I agree, wouldn't be my play.  I don't know the JAX rental rates or location so maybe the property will cash flow.  

    @Peter Damato

    Any other information or numbers on the property?  I highly recommend using the deal analysis tools here on BP or posting the numbers on the forum to see what others think.  There may be some things you overlooked and a third party could help. Good luck on the purchase and rental...

  • Rockville, MD · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Hi William,

    Recently was the highest bidder on a homesearch property in which i hope to finance. My question is there a mandatory must close by date instituted by homesearch? I know there are time limits to get the documents and the Earned Money deposit to them, but do they have a time limit to finish the closing process? You mentioned in your post that when you purchased a property in MD, you closed in 2 weeks.  Thanks in advance.

  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    11y

    The contract that they sent me had 45 days to the closing date as of the date the contract was signed.  It also allowed the seller to extend the contract 2 different 30 day periods if they couldn't perform and the title company to extend it if they couldn't provide the proper title insurance.  If the buyer delayed the closing it needed to be done in writing 5 calendar days prior to the close date and the seller had to grant an extension in writing with the buyer paying a nonrefundable $150 per diem fee through and including the closing date.  

    In English, $150 per day if you go over...

    However, 45 days should be sufficient to get your financing lined up.  Just get it moving right away.    

    In my case, I wanted to close as quickly as possible since they offered a credit for early closing and I was competing with winter approaching.  I needed to get the house rehabbed and on the market before Thanksgiving.  

    Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions. 

    @Ayo L.

  • Rockville, MD · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    @ William Allen.

    Thanks for the quick reply. very helpful and greatly appreciated. :-)

  • Justin HennigPro Member
    Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 59 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    Hello All!

    Looking to bid on HomeSearch.com myself soon.

    Did anyone have any concerns about title/liens?  Does HomeSearch.com offer any kind of assurances against clouded title or liens that could cause a bidder to "accidentally" pay off a large mechanics lien?

    The property I'm looking to bid on was foreclosed, went thru a 6 month redemption period, and is now on this website.  It is owner occupied so I don't have an opportunity to go thru it, but I know the neighborhood and comps, plus the exterior looks immaculate and property has great fundamentals in terms of SqFt / beds / baths /  amenities / work done to the property that I found thru public online info (building permits / etc).

    Thanks in advance for any replies!

    Justin

  • Investor · Moab, UT · Member since 2016 · 101 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    I am looking at a homesearch auction property but have never done this before.  I have 3 places all with traditional financing, but this one would be a good deal.  I'd LOVE any advice anyone can give me on the auction process, things to be aware of, things I needs to make sure i do, and also financing.  It says cash only bids.  I don't have that much cash.  DO I go to a hard money lender?  I also am a newbie to that idea.  And if I do something like that, what do I need to know?  Would I buy it through them initially and then refinance into something more traditional?  I'd want to hold the property.  I could flip it though.  Thanks in advance!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.