Was That Missed Call You Had Today Worth 38K?

Was That Missed Call You Had Today Worth 38K?

Flipper/Rehabber · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 87 posts · 39 votes

I think we've all been there at some point.  It's either the beginning of our investing career, or we just get a little busy.  

We miss a call and they DON'T leave a voicemail and sometimes they don't even make it to your answering service.  Isn't it easy sometimes to convince ourselves - if they didn't leave a message they must not be very interested.....

THINK AGAIN!!!

I received a call last year and wasn't able to pickup the call because I was on the other line (if you are doing a decent amount of marketing you know it's impossible to answer 100% of your calls).  About 10 minutes later I realized they didn't leave a voicemail.  Hmmm..... now what?  

What have you been told to do in this situation?  Some people are afraid of calling back and dealing with the awkward silence as they try to figure out who this random person is and piece the puzzle together.  Some people just send a text, or just flat out chock it up to they just weren't that interested.  I've been there and have done it myself but will NEVER, EVER do it again.

So, I returned the call.  Turns out the gentleman did have a house he was looking to sell.  It was one of the most profitable deals of 2014, netting us 38K.  Good thing I didn't try the texting trick, he didn't have a cell phone.  

We all pay really good money for the phone to ring.  Why not deal with the uncomfortable moments and turn it into a satisfying one.         

Call them back, deal with the awkwardness, provide them with value, and the rest is history.

4Reply
28 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Johnson City, TN · Member since 2015 · 64 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    @Chris Uhler I shared this with my team! We also spend a lot of money to make our phones ring. I think this shows that ever lead needs to be followed up with no matter how insignificant it may appear.  Thanks for sharing! 

  • Wholesaler · Culver City, CA · Member since 2015 · 185 posts · 56 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Chris Uhler:

    I think we've all been there at some point.  It's either the beginning of our investing career, or we just get a little busy.  

    We miss a call and they DON'T leave a voicemail and sometimes they don't even make it to your answering service.  Isn't it easy sometimes to convince ourselves - if they didn't leave a message they must not be very interested.....

    THINK AGAIN!!!

    I received a call last year and wasn't able to pickup the call because I was on the other line (if you are doing a decent amount of marketing you know it's impossible to answer 100% of your calls).  About 10 minutes later I realized they didn't leave a voicemail.  Hmmm..... now what?  

    What have you been told to do in this situation?  Some people are afraid of calling back and dealing with the awkward silence as they try to figure out who this random person is and piece the puzzle together.  Some people just send a text, or just flat out chock it up to they just weren't that interested.  I've been there and have done it myself but will NEVER, EVER do it again.

    So, I returned the call.  Turns out the gentleman did have a house he was looking to sell.  It was one of the most profitable deals of 2014, netting us 38K.  Good thing I didn't try the texting trick, he didn't have a cell phone.  

    We all pay really good money for the phone to ring.  Why not deal with the uncomfortable moments and turn it into a satisfying one.         

    Call them back, deal with the awkwardness, provide them with value, and the rest is history.

     Hey Chris! This is a very interesting post. I'm all for calling people back who don't leave messages.

    For those of us that are introverted in nature, and do not like the awkwardness and wouldn't know the first thing to say...how does a conversation with the stranger on the other line start?

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Chris Uhler  nice post... I get yellow letters almost daily from all over the country.. I call some back.. 90% or more don't answer live and less than 50% even return the phone call.. but then maybe they know its me and don't want to talk to me !!

    I learned this the hard way

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 87 posts · 39 votes
    10y

    @Andy Cross

    Hi this is Chris Uhler, I noticed I missed your call earlier and I was just calling to see if there was anything I could help you with.....  

    Ummmm......  Who is this?

    Chris Uhler, did you have a house you were looking to sell?

    Oh, right....

    @Jay Hinrichs You can call me!  I'll buy your house(s)!  LOL

  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 253 votes
    10y

    thanks for sharing.it would be a mistake to pre-qualify

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.