Good idea to bring kids when meeting with sellers?

Good idea to bring kids when meeting with sellers?

Hicksville, NY · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I have a friend who works for/with me and his main job is to bring new deals to the table. I feed him leads all day & he negotiates with the seller and makes a deal then presents the deal to me.  I recently learned that he has been bringing his kids (11 & 13) to appointments when meeting with sellers.  I went on one of these appointments recently, and the kids seemed to be well behaved, nice & respectful.  Do you think this is still a good idea, or if not, why.   I would be afraid of telling him to leave the kids at home as I wouldn’t want to offend him or the kids.  What do you think?

0Reply
8 views

Most Popular Reply

Herndon, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 324 votes
11y

If you are getting the results you want - I would let him keep doing what he is doing.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @John Farino

     First off, welcome to BP! As to your question. Does he already have the price, etc. negotiated before he goes to meet with the client, or does he need to do that at the meeting? Does he ask the Sellers if it is ok to bring his kids along? 

    Obviously not taking kids to the meeting would probably be better. However; when our son was growing up he was always at our meetings with various people and I don't think any of our business was negatively impacted because of it.  As long as the sellers know beforehand, and the kids are well behaved, then it's ok. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @John Farino

      my Dad took me to many many of his sales calls.. by 9 years old I could have sold real estate ... 18 I got my license and never looked back.  Was I bored many times yes..

    If the kids are polite they are probably learning through osmosis and will be your future stars.  If kids are unruly then no don't bring them but if nice and polite it could actually be a benefit.

  • Herndon, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 324 votes
    11y

    If he is presenting it as he is here to do business and the kids are well-behaved, it should be fine.  Especially if the kids might be the next @Jay Hinrichs.

    The kids should mainly be able to occupy themselves at those ages, so they shouldn't be a significant distraction.

    If he is presenting it as here are my kids and we are buying a home, then I think that has a huge potential to backfire.  A seller may have be willing to give someone a deal on a home that they wouldn't give to someone whose motive is profit.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Jesse T.

      I did not think of   Duping a seller with a  fake family.

    I know in our hot market here we get all sorts of family letters and pictures of family and the dog etc.. with offers to buy our homes... tug at the heart strings of a seller when you know they will get multiple offers.  And in our market here in PDX in which sellers relate to families this can work pretty good they choose the family they want to live in the home..aS opposed to some wholesaler trying to low ball them and steal their equity LOL

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Emeryville, CA · Member since 2015 · 158 posts · 124 votes
    11y

    Having kids around will never be a positive...you can avoid it being a negative, but at least for me, with my kids around (3, 5 and 7) I wouldn't be able to concentrate on the deal and they would definitely be a distraction to the seller. 

    But if he's closing the deals and the prices he's negotiating are good, I don't see why he shouldn't be able to keep doing whatever he wants. I would just never do that myself.

  • Contractor · Skippack, PA · Member since 2014 · 228 posts · 39 votes
    11y

    There are two sides to this situation.  Although it may be beneficial for your kids from a learning perspective, I would not want kids in some of the situations I've come across.  Some really messy run down houses could be dangerous just to walk around.  Picture your kid accidentally breaking something while walking through a hoarder house, these people could break down from seeing their "collectable" destroyed.  Also as a real estate investor you don't always know who is answering that door I've been through houses where the owners had no problem leaving all their drugs and paraphernalia out in the open, some people are a bit out there to say the least, I would personally advise against it.   

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Greg Behan

      good points  I think then we need to categorize this as in. 

    Would you bring your kids to an appointment when looking at D class  C class B class and A class.. to be fair we only went to A B and maybe a few C's when I went with my dad.

    Plus this was the 60's 

  • Contractor · Skippack, PA · Member since 2014 · 228 posts · 39 votes
    11y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    You are right.  But honestly I don't even look into lower end areas.   It's just a shame that some people have taken a turn for the worse and let it all go even though at one time they were doing well.  Also the drug example was a guy in his 30's or so who inherited his parents house in a nice suburban neighborhood with an elementary school right down the street!  I just feel like it's too unpredictable (at least around my area) to be bringing kids to look at houses

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Greg Behan

      good points but depending on the age could be a good learning experience as well.

    example.. show a terrible home and a down trodden owner... have your kids see that.. then explain why an education and such is important..!!

  • Hicksville, NY · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Thank you all for your responses & the helpful feedback.   He is certainly not trying to give the sellers an impression that he is representing a family that will be an end user..  we are cash buyers with intent to re-sell and we always make that clear.   My concern was that it might appear unprofessional.  

  • Herndon, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 324 votes
    11y

    If you are getting the results you want - I would let him keep doing what he is doing.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @John Farino

      then in your line of work there are no rules in a knife fight !

  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    @John Farino Unless you are somehow morally in conflict with this for your own (odd) reasons, why do you care?

    We can only speculate as to the psych dynamics that are created. Seller has a particular response to kids presence, your negotiator has a certain comfort level having his kids with him. Are kids a tool? Probably. Does it harm them? Probably not, unless it warps their minds and scars them permanently like our friend @Jay Hinrichs. 

    You have a team member who is effective. His methodology seems to work. Why interfere with how he makes money for you? 

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    I don't think it's a good strategy for the long term (assuming it's a strategy and not done for convenience). For one, even well-behaved kids are going to get tired of this and start misbehaving. Some sellers may be miffed by it and may even find it a bit manipulative (although others might find it to be a good rapport building type thing). I just don't think it's worth bringing your kids into these matters for any other reason than to teach your kids about real estate and business.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Rick H.

      Touche'

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.