Embarassed to admit this but here it goes.

Embarassed to admit this but here it goes.

MA · Member since 2008 · 199 posts · 1 vote

OK, here is is...It's time for me to get real and do something drastic. We are broke, I just went to the grocery store and needed to use my credit card. I have been married 11 years, we have 2 kids. I work part time, my husband works full time. Up until recently we have been able to make ends meet, crawling into deeper debt over the years because of our poor choices.

We hit rock bottom last year (which was a good thing) we almost ended up divorced, went to conseling and worked on our issues. We realized we felt trapped in our current life and decided together we were going to do what it takes to change our lives. We made a big decision to use our credit card to invest in some education together. We paid 16K for some classes in REI and are currently taking them together. We knew we wanted to invest in RE, it's always been our passion, something we always talked about but never had the guts to do. (that's what I mean by hitting rock bottom was good for us, it forced us to get out of our comfort zone).

Recently we bought our 1st investment property with a partner, a REO for 55k. We are working on it now, our budget is 40 K and we hope to sell if for 150K. Once it sells we plan on putting our profit directly onto our credit card to pay for the classes we are taking. We have stopped buying things we can not afford but we ARE living outside our means which is why I needed to use my credit card for groceries today. The cost of living has increased so much we are forced to use our credit card to buy necessities.

My question is, how many of you found yourselves in embarassing situations like this and were able to dig yourselves out? I never pictured our life this way. We have good jobs, we are educated and are very hard working. What should we do to fix the mess we're in? Do we move (I'd hate to move our children from their home), Do I try to get a full time job? (then we'll pay more for daycare and our lives will be very hectic. ) Do we continue "floating" and investing in RE and putting our profits toward debt? Seriously...we know we need to make changes but we don't know where to begin. Obviously we'd like to keep our home. Quite honestly, I'm willing to move buy my husband is not. I am open to your harsh comments. Like I said, we have learned from our mistakes and are desperately trying to fix it.

0Reply
61 views

110 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 557 posts · 70 votes
    17y

    I've been in similar situations.
    I increased by income in my day job, and pay off all my credit cards. That alone facilitated saving a lot.

    Then I changed habits again, to charging some bills, about 500 a month on my credit cards, and paying the cards off in full before the end of every monthly cycle. This is like paying cash because there are no finance charges. It boosted the my credit score nicely, Then I will use the credit card points to get some free flights and stuff as well. But the new credit card habit took about six months to develop, after about a year of not touching my cards after I was ccd debt free. I

    can save well now, which was never something I could do before the last seven years. Emotions and habit have a lot to do with it - at least for me.

  • MA · Member since 2008 · 199 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    Matty,

    Thanks for your reply. Things have been going pretty well since my original post. Both my husband and I have read Dave Ramsey's book and have implemented his strategies into our lifestyle. We have our 1K in the bank, have stopped using our credit cards, and are able to keep our bills current even through the holidays. Once January rolls around we will begin to pay down our debt one bill at a time. We are both fortunate enough to have jobs where OT is still available, our goal is to work at least one shift each per pay period, this has helped A LOT!

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Heather, if only we could bottle this and give it to the American public, our country wouldn't be in the mess it's in today!!! You should be very proud to be in the extreme minority that acutally takes personal responsibility for their actions and is honoring their commitments!!! Way to go!

    Mike

  • Greenville, SC · Member since 2008 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Hi, Heather. It looks like you've received a wealth of great information already, but I wanted to mention a free resource that might be of some help. The National Endowment for Financial Education (www.nefe.org) is a nonprofit organization that provides free personal finance information and materials. They have some great resources to help you think through your financial goals and take steps to achieve them. You can visit the site via the link I provided above and either download or order materials there. I hope you are able to find the clarity you need to establish your goals and the courage to make the right choices to achieve them!

  • CA · Member since 2008 · 277 posts · 11 votes
    17y

    The National Endowment for Financial Education should become a Cabinet department of the United States government concerned with promoting financial literary. Financial literacy is one of the things sorely missing among our citizenry, in my opinion.

    If the Department of Energy--which has done literally nothing since its inception to make our nation energy independent--can be a Cabinet, I don't see why a Department of National Financial Literary can't be instituted.

  • Greenville, SC · Member since 2008 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Caitlyn Coyle:
    The National Endowment for Financial Education should become a Cabinet department of the United States government concerned with promoting financial literary. Financial literacy is one of the things sorely missing among our citizenry, in my opinion.

    If the Department of Energy--which has done literally nothing since its inception to make our nation energy independent--can be a Cabinet, I don't see why a Department of National Financial Literary can't be instituted.


    I'm familiar with NEFE because I worked there 7 years running a national grants program focused on investor literacy. NEFE does a great job of developing and distributing these free resources, but sadly, personal finance is not something people want to think about - at least not until they are in a desperate situation. The Department of the Treasury (I believe that's the correct functional area) has instituted an office of financial literacy, but I don't know what's been accomplished through that.
  • Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
    17y

    Thank you for posting, Heather.

    You are a true inspiration and with all your dedication and hard work I know you will eventually succeed in all the ways that matter.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 557 posts · 70 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Caitlyn Coyle:
    The National Endowment for Financial Education should become a Cabinet department of the United States government concerned with promoting financial literary. Financial literacy is one of the things sorely missing among our citizenry, in my opinion.

    If the Department of Energy--which has done literally nothing since its inception to make our nation energy independent--can be a Cabinet, I don't see why a Department of National Financial Literary can't be instituted.


    I think anything resembling a Department of National Financial Literary is missing on purpose. I speculate that the reason financial literacy is not taught in schools is because a nation of financially illiterate people serve the people in power well.

    A nation of financially literate people would alter the fundamental structure of our banking system and federal reserve. And the people in power - the major stockholders in the fed and such - will do whatever that can to stop that from happening. They do not want the general populace to figure out the mechanics behind it all.
  • MA · Member since 2008 · 199 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    Thanks for all your encouraging words. We are very proud of the steps we have taken. We can't wait to get that tax return and pay off several credit cards. We are on our way and it's not that hard. Buy what you need, not what you want. I am thrilled my husband and I are FINALLY on the same page. It's true, we were simply uneducated in financial literacy, we thought we were doing OK because we were doing what everybody else was doing. Now we watch our friends and think...what idiots. How can they buy that when they don't know if they'll have a job next week.

  • Boonies, PA · Member since 2008 · 333 posts · 15 votes
    17y

    Best of luck, congrats on the turn around. One of the biggest investments I made was to know were my money went. You start to realize that you buy lots of crap.

    I wish our schools promoted Financial Education more.

    I never talk about anyone's finances or other personal affairs unless they come to me to talk first. it's just to emotional. I always say "If you spend more time on your own personal development, you won't have time to worry about others" besides you might find out they just got piles of dough out of the blue, then you look like a goof :goofy:

  • MA · Member since 2008 · 199 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    Heather, we have not heard from you in a while. How are you doing? How are your plans coming along? What happened to your rehab?

    To answer your question...Our rehab project is complete, we have it rented. We earn 300$ cash flow/month and it goes directly into the bank for unexpected expenses that may arise with being landlords. We will NOT use this $ to pay down our personal expenses. The people renting it hope to purchase it. We will set them up with a credit repair specialist to help them become homeowners.

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2008 · 71 posts · 9 votes
    17y

    Heather,

    My wife and I are in a very similar situation as your family. We have started paying down our debt per Dave Ramsey's Snowball effect.

    One thing that was recommended to us was The Grocery Game. The grocery items they list each week on sale, combined with coupons have cut our grocery bill by over 60%. I feed my family of four every night for about $5.00! Last night I calc'd it out and it was $5.30! Six months ago I would go to the store and spend $20-$30 bucks for one night and not think anything of it.

    The "list" is free for the first four weeks, and then they charge you a fixed amount based on how many "lists" you buy. I think each list is 63 cents? You'd be amazed how many FREE things are available (especially CVS).

    It's actually become a competition between my wife and I to see how much we can save on our grocery bill! Check it out for free at www.thegrocerygame.com. Start clippin' those coupons!!

    Hope this helps!

  • MA · Member since 2008 · 199 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    thanks Mike,

    I'll check it out. Congratulations to you and your family for taking charge of your finances!

  • Bethlehem, PA · Member since 2008 · 16 posts · 2 votes
    17y

    Read the book by Dave Ramsey, Total Money Makeover. It has helped me out in so many ways. Its a real down to earth, and really simplifies the way to financial independance. Even if you agree with everything in the book it gives you a lot to think on.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.