Are You Depressed?

Are You Depressed?

Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes

Real Estate is so freaking boring… and yet that’s all we talk about. Why – is it because this is all we are interested in?

How about the meaning of life – would you engage in a conversation about the meaning of life? How about depression – would you talk about that? I know many of you, if not most, are affected. How about fear of failure? How about any Damn thing that really matters in life – children, illness, the future of civilization, future of America, the wars we fight, the wars we don’t fight?

Are we so shallow that real estate is the only thing that matters to us?

Don’t tell me you’re not scared  – I know many of you are...

Let’s talk about things that matter for once.

Any takers? 

5Reply
140 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Westchester, IL · Member since 2009 · 126 posts · 55 votes
10y

I'm certainly no hater but I'm kind of confused by BP.  How does a post on a Real Estate 'forum' asking about collaborating on a real estate deal get taken down, but this dribble is allowed to stay up?.

I'm certainly not going on model train club websites and saying "All we do is talk about trains!"

It's like you wandered into the wrong conversation and cover it up by trying to sound deep and philosophical.  

I get what your 'trying' to stimulate, but maybe that last MD can prescribe something...

See this reply in the discussion

142 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Bill Gulley:

    Not when family is in their mid 80's, when I say travel, I don't mean to another state or going to the lakes, I mean overseas. Been there, done that LOL. Doesn't matter how cheap travel is, when you get older, you'll understand :)

    @Andrey 

    @Andrey Y.undefined

     I meant overseas, but I totally got you. After I posted, I realize it may be due to a different issue altogether ;)

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:

    @Bryan Patterson - this was on March 2 of this year:

    I feel you...

    This is what I see as the eras of one's life.... first 30 years (getting started and laying the foundation).... second 30 years (leaning forward and height of production).... third 30 years (enjoying the harvest and fulfillment).... then what? 90+ (bonus period!) My mum is at 96 years and counting, so who knows where the end of the line is for me? Ben, many good wishes for your health and well being my friend. Happy Belated Birthday... :-)

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Marcia Maynard:
    Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:

    @Bryan Patterson - this was on March 2 of this year:

    I feel you...

    This is what I see as the eras of one's life.... first 30 years (getting started and laying the foundation).... second 30 years (leaning forward and height of production).... third 30 years (enjoying the harvest and fulfillment).... then what? 90+ (bonus period!) My mum is at 96 years and counting, so who knows where the end of the line is for me? Ben, many good wishes for your health and well being my friend. Happy Belated Birthday... :-)

     Marcia - thanks so much. As you can probably tell, I have a bit more urgency than your 30+30+30 formula would suggest. I am not willing to wait to enjoy the fruits of my labor until when I am 60 - I may not be here...

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y

    Ben, no ones knows if they will be here tomorrow, which is why you need to smell the roses everyday, regardless of how busy you think you need to be!  :) 

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Bill Gulley:

    Ben, no ones knows if they will be here tomorrow, which is why you need to smell the roses everyday, regardless of how busy you think you need to be!  :) 

     Yep!

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:

     Marcia - thanks so much. As you can probably tell, I have a bit more urgency than your 30+30+30 formula would suggest. I am not willing to wait to enjoy the fruits of my labor until when I am 60 - I may not be here...

    Didn't mean to imply holding off on enjoyment of life and time with those we love. From the get go that can be an integral part of our lifestyle. Happiness-Health-Wealth and the Time to Enjoy them all.... are worthy goals. Destiny unknown... making each moment count is key. Assessing one's position at points along the way is good. So is finding the balance and keeping moments of depression at bay. I liked the video you made on one of your milestone birthdays, and God willing you will enjoy many more birthdays to come. Passion is a good motivator. You are blessed Ben with not only a sharp mind, but also with passion. Passion and a sense of purpose. Thanks for sharing that with so many. :-)

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Ben Leybovich Just want to chime in that I really appreciate you. When I was reading your bio in CFFU I really identified with a lot of what you said. 

    My entire motivation for Real Estate is to spend time with friends, family, and get to know people. 

    A manager I worked for was a recovered alcoholic. He was one of the most inspiring people for me. 

    A co worker was a recovered heroin addict. I learned a ton from him about drive/motivation. 

    I almost lost my Grandma (How blessed I am to be young) last year. She has since had a stroke. She isn't herself anymore. One of my biggest regrets was not spending more time with her. 

    So for me... I'm afraid of losing people before I get to really know them.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    @Ryan Dossey...ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-taaaaaaaaaaa

    He didn't pick up. Damn it - I'm depressed

    Hahah he just texted "Sorry at church"

    I guess I don't blame him for choosing Jesus over this 40 year-old Jew...LOL

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y

    @Ben Leybovich

    I'm still asking myself why and how could I have ever spent what could be my last hours on this earth taking to someone on the phone trying to console a crying man!

    Perhaps it was my straight talking, hard hitting, cold intellectual abusive military style of motivation that got you depressed Ben, sorry, but it sure made me feel a lot better!  Thank you.....  :) 

  • Investor · Milford, CT · Member since 2015 · 200 posts · 69 votes
    10y

    I love real estate, and I love to talk shop.

    If you don't love your business your in the wrong business.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Chris Field:

    I love real estate, and I love to talk shop.

    If you don't love your business your in the wrong business.

     Chris - I love the power of real estate, but real estate itself :)

  • Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 60 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    On an HVAC professional forum that I am on hvac-talk.com, they have a sub forum called ARP (America, Religion, Politics) and it has some real interesting conversations, of course they're a little rougher bunch. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    BP - how are we doing? Depressed? Not depressed? Inspired? Disappointed? 

    How are we doing, BP?

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    I'm not watching (or reading) any of the news today. I'm choosing to focus on what's close to home, at least for now, to avoid news (or fake news) that might depress me.

  • Developer · Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 84 posts · 79 votes
    9y

    I'm with @Ryan ODonnell. Not sure why we're being asked to discuss social issues on a forum where it isn't appropriate. no @Ben Leybovich i don't discuss real estate all of the time. When I'm in a sports bar i discuss sports, when i'm with other parents i discuss my son, when i'm with my buddies i discuss pretty women and when i'm on bigger pockets i discuss real estate!  the setting will dictate the discussion. now lets discuss deals!

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Wes Johnson:

    I'm with @Ryan ODonnell. Not sure why we're being asked to discuss social issues on a forum where it isn't appropriate. no @Ben Leybovich i don't discuss real estate all of the time. When I'm in a sports bar i discuss sports, when i'm with other parents i discuss my son, when i'm with my buddies i discuss pretty women and when i'm on bigger pockets i discuss real estate!  the setting will dictate the discussion. now lets discuss deals!

     Well, considering you've got 1 post to your name, and this is the one that finally broke the camel's back, I guess I struck a nerve hahah Actually, I meant nothing to do with politics. Just a personal YTD - how are you doing?

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    @Ben Leybovich, Been a hard month.  Many stressful jury trials, bitterly cold weather, horse died, lol.  Starting to wonder if the job is worth the stress anymore.  local economy is hurting for a lot of folks.  Normally would delve deeper but have to head to bed to get up early and work on the 4th day of a grueling jury trial.  I definitely need to get up and see the grandchild, it like a balm of heaven.  Doesn't last forever but definitely helps ease the load for awhile.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.