Why The Rich Get Richer - They Buy Low-Sell High!

Why The Rich Get Richer - They Buy Low-Sell High!

Real Estate Investor · Delray Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 36 posts · 3 votes

Over 90% of the population are are trapped in the rat race.

One of the reasons the rich get richer, the poor get poorer, and the middle class struggle in debt is because the subject of money is taught at home, not at school.

In my last post I talked about following the herd and the dangers related. The primary reason people seek job security is because that is what they are taught to seek at home, and at school…then, with accumulated debt loads, they clinched tighter to their job or professional security just to pay the bills.

The rich don’t work for money. The poor and middle class work for money. One of the most popular topics in our 2 Day Real Estate Investor’s Boot Camp is how the rich have money work for them!

As Robert Kiyosaki explains … the rich buys assets. The poor have expenses. The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets!

“…A job is really a short-term solution to a long-term problem…â€

0Reply
69 views

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Attorney · Member since 2009 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    How true! It's unfortunate that most of us are tied to our social/earnings strata as a result of upbringing, and it's a vicious cycle from which most cannot break out.

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    17y

    When I was going to school they never taught us money management or wealth building in fact a lot of schools don't which sucks because that is why most are bred in the low to middle class because the lack of education on money management and wealth creation so we learn from what was taught from our blood which was taught by their blood it's a vicious cycle(of course my parents tried to teach me money management but being young and stupid I always spent it wish I had learned from them early on)

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    The even richer buy low and don't sell and a job can be an extremely effective temporary tool to get rich.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    Wholesaling - job
    Fix and flipping - job
    Real estate agent - job
    Developing - job
    Property management - job

    Spending less than you make is the path to wealth, however you define that for yourself.

    Putting that money into effective investments, whether real estate or something else is the key to turning a small amount of savings into a large nest egg.

  • Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2008 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Jon , you hit the nail right on the head . I have always spent less than I make . From the first dollar I made and to this very day . It wasn't taught to me at school . My parents definitely didn't teach me . I guess I was born with what I call " The Cheapskate gene " .

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    I'd have to say that's an unusual gene, given the state of everyone's balance sheet from most individuals all the way to the federal government. But, that's really the key to accumulating wealth. The NY times had an article a few weeks back about how much of a burden the $500K salary cap at these big banks was going to be on the people who've built a lifestyle that consumes a multi-million dollar annual salary. Just shows that a big income isn't the key.

  • Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
    17y

    Michael:

    There's a lot to be said for 'job security'. Most people are simply not suited to become entrepreneurs, especially those with real-world responsibilities. I believe there are plenty of careers that provide high levels of personal satisfaction and are not part of the so-called rat race.

    If you find yourself in 'job hell' there are several avenues out, none of which involve gambling your time and money on building a business which statistics say will probably fail.

    Living below your means is a tried and true method of building wealth. So, too, is creating something of value: a useful invention, a popular book, a musical recording, and so forth.

    Selling dreams works, also; though one is simply acting as a middleman peddling old truths wrapped in new words surrounded by breathless enthusiasm.

  • Murray Hill, NJ · Member since 2008 · 204 posts · 15 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by NC Mark:
    ...peddling old truths wrapped in new words surrounded by breathless enthusiasm.

    Hey NC Mark, I like that one. Did you make that up?

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 759 posts · 185 votes
    17y

    Spending less than you make does not generate wealth, but makes for a nice savings account.

    Investing that money into investments that generate income streams is what generates the wealth.

    I really liked Jon's example here:

    Wholesaling - job
    Fix and flipping - job
    Real estate agent - job
    Developing - job
    Property management - job

    I think that most folks confuse the "multiple streams of income" theory. There is active and passive income streams. When you start on the path to wealth, you will start with active, then move to a balance, and hopefully end up with all passive streams to retire.

    Like Tim said, a job could be a valuable tool, as it is an active income stream. Just do not get trapped by the false sense of security people think that a job provides.

    If this economic downturn has taught me anything, it was that most of my income was from active streams, and I did not give it much thought until it was almost too late!

    I went through an income drought where I spent much more than I made, my wife got hurt and I had to take care of her and the kids, and the real estate market took a volatile turn that took some time to figure out. All of the steps forward that I had achieved were quickly wiped away. The hill I was standing on suddenly became a sink hole!

    Many of the people I thought were my friends, and trusted business partners, turned their back on me and left us for dead! (You find out a whole lot about peoples character when times get tough!). However, I never gave up, and kept fighting! The good news about tough times is that it weeds out the people in your life that do not deserve to be there. It makes you dig deep, and it forces you to form the long term habits needed to succeed.

    So, in order to never let the above happen again, I now use a very easy test to see if I have a job (active stream), or if I am creating real wealth (passive stream).

    If I were to get hurt, and did not have the ability to work for a few months, would checks still come in?

    When we can answer "YES!" to this question, we will either be well on our way, or already living the real American dream!

    These jobs can become passive streams if you do it right:

    - Fix and flipping - You fund, Let others do the work!
    - Property management - let others do it. Your time is worth more than 10% to 12% a month.
    - Commercial Real Estate Portfolio (Especially Triple Net Leases!)

    Good Luck!

  • Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
    17y

    Yes, indeedy, Dave V., those are my very own original words.

    25 years as a professional writer has its advantages.

    Now if only I could turn that active income stream into a passive stream where I do nothing but collect royalties! Hmm, I think Tom Clancy already does that.

    Note To Self: Spend upcoming weekend writing bestselling novel.......

  • Real Estate Investor · Delray Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 36 posts · 3 votes
    17y

    Harrison, once again, you really seem to understand the point of my post and you did a great job at articulating some excellent points. Thanks again!

  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    17y

    Passive income is generally a sales pitch.

    Please name one that requires no work?

    good old motivational fluff, great words no substance.....

    If you need someone to Motivate you, you are toast

  • Real Estate Investor · Delray Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 36 posts · 3 votes
    17y

    Jeff,

    I agree that most passive income programs are a sales pitch for something that sells 'the dream'.

    There seems to be some confusion (both through this post, and in the minds of common folk), that passive income means no work.

    We could split hairs about the definition all day long.
    Fact is, passive income is more along the lines (to me) of not trading time for money. You still have to put in some work and effort, but when you step away from the work, the program still functions/sells/brings in money.

    I put in work when I find/research/and buy an income property. I put in work to clearly define my policies and procedures that I require my property managers to execute. But once the tenants are in, and the property managers manage the property (not me) I'm not trading my time for money. I just manage the manager which takes minimal time. and they put in the time. Again, it's not no work, but it's less time put in and more financial reward that comes in whether I'm working on another business, on a vacation, or doing nothing.

    I also agree that if you ned someone to motivate you then you are toast. When I use to be a specialized HR consultant helping clients improve their staff, they'd offer me big money to spend a day doing a motivational seminar. I refused every time. I told them I would get them Tony Robbins, but in a week or two they'd be back to their same unproductive habits. Motivation is important but it must come from the inside (passion/interest). Someone lighting a fire under your butt or dangling a carrot shouldn't motivate a human adult. Enjoying the process of what you do (I love real estate investing) and a genuine interest in continually learning more and continually doing what already works well and practicing new skills and techniques is my own motivation - not someone else's.

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 759 posts · 185 votes
    17y

    Negativity is just plain lazy!

    1. Passive income is a sales pitch?

    Sure it is! So is hope, greed, love, wealth, refreshment, and salvation! That does not mean these things don't exist. :lol:

    2. Please name one that requires no work?

    I named 3 already! It was stated clearly that Income streams usually start active (work) and flow into passive. (little to no work).

    3. If you need someone to Motivate you, you are toast?

    This has been hammered away at in other threads. Everybody needs motivation at one time or another. It is human nature. All the greats have a coach, wife, team, book, and/or mentor that keeps them going.

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jeff Tumbarello:
    Passive income is generally a sales pitch.
    Yes, this is another area where the guru-sleeze has bastardized a phrase through marketing.

    Please name one that requires no work?

    good old motivational fluff, great words no substance.....

    Let's clear up some confusion.

    For the purposes of the tax code, there is passive and active INCOME and it is in your best interest to have as much of your income be PASSIVE as possible. Passive income, as defined by the IRS is only subject to income tax, it is not subject to FICA or Mediscare. As an aside, you want as many of your deductions to be active income related as possible.

    But, the way most people talk about passive income is really not passive. The example Harrison gave still requires work on his part. However, it is work that is not manual or menial in nature. The work relates to using his mind instead of his physical labor.

    This is true to an extent. But, I look at from the perspective of how much continual motivation one needs. Helping someone push past an obstacle be it fear, lack of knowledge, etc is far different than having to remind them over and over again to do the basic things one must do to succeed. Things like, getting an alarm clock and learning how to use it come to mind.

  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    17y

    Anti

    that is what I meant, the term passive income is floated around as if checks just float to the bank for you

    I have a friend and mentor who owns about 15 million worth of mortgages in his AR. He spends hours on his "passive income". Turning the defaults back to performing,, ETC, ETC

    He has a qualified staff, in spite of that he has to be hands on

    If it is too good to be true it is......

  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Harrison Painter:
    Negativity is just plain lazy!

    1. Passive income is a sales pitch?

    Sure it is! So is hope, greed, love, wealth, refreshment, and salvation! That does not mean these things don't exist. :lol:

    2. Please name one that requires no work?

    I named 3 already! It was stated clearly that Income streams usually start active (work) and flow into passive. (little to no work).

    3. If you need someone to Motivate you, you are toast?

    This has been hammered away at in other threads. Everybody needs motivation at one time or another. It is human nature. All the greats have a coach, wife, team, book, and/or mentor that keeps them going.


    How is telling the truth as you see it Lazy or Negativity?

    I guess I should be quiet so the Lemmings can be introduced to the looters :lol:

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 759 posts · 185 votes
    17y

    Jeff, you can do better than that!!!! :lol:

    Maybe not........I see that you were a Marine, so I can not expect you to debate with a much superior Navy guy like myself!! :mrgreen:

    J/K :beer: Cheers!

  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    17y

    The key to success is to be cognizant. If you strive to be good at what you do, you will make money. 90 percent only want to make money and see the business side of things as "not fun" "boring"

    Hence they are willing to part with what little "powder" they have left to not have to work/be good at something. Most seminars are being taught by the same kind of person.

    It boils down to, those that can do, those that cant teach.......

    The "I am giving something back" notion, is a load of horse hockey.

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jeff Tumbarello:
    The "I am giving something back" notion, is a load of horse hockey.
    Very, very true.

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jeff Tumbarello:
    Anti

    that is what I meant, the term passive income is floated around as if checks just float to the bank for you

    I have a friend and mentor who owns about 15 million worth of mortgages in his AR. He spends hours on his "passive income". Turning the defaults back to performing,, ETC, ETC

    He has a qualified staff, in spite of that he has to be hands on

    If it is too good to be true it is......
    Yes, I have always worked as hard or even harder at the things generating passive income, because they are financially more valuable to me.

    I chant that there are no secrets the rich are hiding from the poor. And there aren't, everything is right out there in the open. However, the poor seem to be particularly adept at ignoring the obvious...

    The rich own and control assets and make those assets grow into bigger assets.

    The poor consume things and create liabilities.
  • Denver, CO · Member since 2008 · 25 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    This is all fine and dandy for investors. But at the end of the day, someone has to do actual work in an actual job to produce something.

    That's why the 90% stuck in the rat race can't escape the rat race. If everyone went out and simply invested by buying businesses or other income producing assets, who would be left to produce the income?

    Real economic productivity is when a coal miner extracts some coal from the ground. A car manufacturer builds a car. A drug company develops a new drug. Real economic productivity is NOT a day trader buying and selling stocks. Although day trading may contribute liquidity to the market, they aren't directly adding to the productivity of this nation.

    That's not to say people have to work for pittance wages in global corporations. The self employed and small business produce a lot. But someone still has to do the work.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by jbrooks:
    That's why the 90% stuck in the rat race can't escape the rat race. If everyone went out and simply invested by buying businesses or other income producing assets, who would be left to produce the income?


    90% won't do it. That's why people like investors and AIG executives make more than 90% of people. They're willing to do what 90% won't.
  • Real Estate Consultant · Irvine, CA · Member since 2009 · 102 posts · 24 votes
    17y

    This is a great discussion! It's good to hear so many different perspectives on this issue.

    I think one of the biggest sayings that override most things is:

    It's not what you make; it's what you keep.

    I don't care if you're in the rat race (btw if we didn't have enough people in the rat race, who would be writing programs to keep your money safe at the bank, or checking the brakes on your car, or waiting on you at nice restaurants?) or make millions of dollars--if you consistently spend more than you make, you will always be poor.

    If I'm a car salesman making 30k but saving 3k a year, I'm still richer than an investor who makes 3M a year and spends 3.1M.

  • Real Estate Investor · Dallas, OR · Member since 2009 · 74 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    Sorry Andy, I don't think you'll get any sympathy from this group. Facts show that income groups don't stay stagnant. That is, the poor eventually save enough to invest and move themselves into the middle class. And the middle class also move up.

    "Desperate efforts to depict all the prosperity and progress in the U.S. as being monopolized by "the rich" have led to statistical mumbo jumbo, such as comparing the changing ratios between statistical categories over time and ignoring the fact that most people move from one category to another over the years.

    Studies that follow individuals over time show the exact opposite. That is, most of the working people in the bottom fifth of the income distribution rise into the top half, and the rate of increase of their incomes is greater than that of most of the people initially in the top fifth." Thomas Sowell

    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/viewpoints/stories/DN-sowell_28edi.ART.State.Edition1.4dfdac3.html

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.