Goals of Real Estate - For something nice now or later

Goals of Real Estate - For something nice now or later

Julie MarquezPro Member
Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 807 votes

Hello BP. I'm a new real estate investor myself, thought I am the child of a successful investor as my dad has lots of rentals and has always acted as the property manager. I have one SFR that's doing great.

I am about to be homeless and have the opportunity to buy a beautiful new home in the perfect location. I currently rent. This new build home gives me the opportunity to rent out a mother-in-law portion, so that my own expenses wouldn't be any more than I currently spend on rent. So my overall monthly cash flow remains the same.

Or, I could keep renting, keep saving my $2000 a month, to add to my current savings of $30,000, and wait for a 4-plex, duplex, or SFR that could be a possibility in the near (or not near) future. But I will never know the future.

I am conflicted. I could buy a purely income property that will give me a better foundation for the future, and live in a mediocre rental (or my dad's spare bedroom, but no thanks). Or I could live for me and my future husband and we could have a beyond beautiful place that makes my heart so happy, but then I would be out my cash if an investment deal came up soon.

I want to be practical and think for my future, but I also want a home (I have been living so sub-par and saving for the past years). How do beginner investors get over this idea of saving too much, and when can I start living for me?

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Bali, Indonesia · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 16 votes
10y
I rarely regret sacrificing now for a better future. Especially with real estate done right. It just gets better & better & better. Good luck!!
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Peabody, MA · Member since 2015 · 82 posts · 49 votes
    10y
    I would say for the sake of starting fast to find a multifamily home and live in one side of it. They offer the best cash flow up front to keep you in the drivers seat for when an opportunity does come up. The downside to mfh is that they typically don't appreciate as fast as a single family home. With a duplex or triplex oftentimes you can live rent free off the other families so you can save up fast and acquire more properties that will positively cash flow to build up your portfolio.
  • Julie MarquezPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 807 votes
    10y

    @Drew CameronYes, I agree that would be the best option to give me somewhere to live and an investment property that will make me money. I only have to live there a year, but that would be a sacrifice because I don't really love the neighborhood for myself (for the couple of places that are on the radar).

  • Lender · Peabody, MA · Member since 2015 · 82 posts · 49 votes
    10y

    Ultimately it's your call to make. Some key questions to ask yourself though:

    If I buy a house for me, when will I be able to save up for a down payment on an investment property?

    Am I willing to sacrifice a little now to prosper in the future?

    Who do I know that can help me grow my business?

    If I do buy a house to live in, what can I do to add to my income or lower my expenses to be able to invest?

    I know the Seattle market is fairly expensive, but it is a great market for fix and flips. Depending on your comfort level and being able to find a joint venture partner or hard money lender that could be an option for you to accelerate your investing funds. Good luck in whatever you choose and happy investing!

  • Investor · Bali, Indonesia · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    10y
    I rarely regret sacrificing now for a better future. Especially with real estate done right. It just gets better & better & better. Good luck!!
  • Julie MarquezPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 807 votes
    10y

    @Drew CameronAll great questions to think about, thanks for listing those. Knowing my goal will be help me make the best decision. And you are right, it's all up to me and my goals. I just wonder if other people go through this issue where they know idea of investing and saving, but when do they spend for themselves. But only I know my ultimate goals and immediate needs.

    @Daniel AhernNice to hear your perspective, one never regrets a sacrifice now for a better future. Thank you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.