So here's my dilemna

So here's my dilemna

Foreclosure Specialist · Pleasant Grove, UT · Member since 2008 · 41 posts · 2 votes

In general, I love to work on and see a project complete successfully. I currently work as an IT computer administrator, and there is a never ending line of projects to complete and I love the feeling of completing them successfully. Thus, I figure that I can carry over that into real-estate. And I can... as soon as I get to the point of working on the (real-estate) project. I have done it on short-sales and I love it when those complete successfully. I have had other short-sales that didn't complete, but, for the most part, that was Ok, because I fought the good fight: the working of the project was "successful". My biggest hang-up is getting these things started. Having to market and get the word out and network and door knock and cold call and meet with strangers and convince people to work with me. I obviously can help these people out. I've helped other people out already. I have the contacts and resources to make the project successful. But just getting past that "Hi, I'm Dean. We've just met me, but....." ARGH! It drive me nuts. It makes me not want to make the call. It makes me not want to go knock doors. I know that if I just do, there are $5000-$10,000+ per month checks waiting for me to cash them. All the pump-you-up hype that every motivational guru out there spews doesn't get me going. Those $5000, $10,000, $15,000 checks don't get me going. I should be cranking $100,000+ per year income without a second thought. I know that there are other people that do it; I talk with them regularly. I know what to do and that if I do it, it will be others talking to me about how I do it on a regular basis. I know that if I do this, I won't have to wake up at 7:30AM every morning to clock-in until 5PM. Yadda, Yadda, Yadda, I know we've all heard this stuff a million times before. But why can I not get these things up and running?
I thought that maybe if I can just get people that are motivated to call me instead, that will "break the ice" so to speak. Ya know what happened? I didn't want to do marketing or advertising. I didn't want to put up bandit signs. I didn't even want to go to the store to buy the poster board and magic makers. "What a pain", I kept thinking to myself. WTF??? It seems, that anything that will make me a piss load of cash, I just can't seem to get motivated to do it.
Now, take, for example, things that are trivial and valueless. I have no problem going out and renting a movie. I actually look forward to it. I have no problem playing video games. Sometimes, I can't wait for the next time to play. I have no problem sitting around and being lazy and taking a nap. I have no problem wasting hours at work surfing the internet about things that have no value except maybe rarely on Jeopardy. I can BS with just about anybody about gossip for hours on end. All these things that I have no problem doing, none of them will put food on the table nor pay the bills when they're due. Anything that does pour in the cash and stuff my wallet, I get this feeling of "What a pain". Even at my job, I could excel to get promotions, but "What a pain". I just don't get it!!! What is my deal???
At one time, I kept default attributing it to my light case of ADD. I have a real short attention span and bore quickly. However, I have met with other entrepeneurs and business owners that claim that its their ADD that keeps them going.
So, I don't know. I know that the money is sitting just in front of me staring at me. I know that I can do this stuff once it gets going. I know how to talk to complete strangers and network and sell myself about what I can do. I've done it all tons of times. But what a pain it is to get that stuff started as opposed to doing time-wasting recreation. What a pain (it is to collect and cash checks).... Again, wtf??

Any ideas?

0Reply
77 views

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    My suggestion is to give up and go play video games. If you're not self-motivated, you simply can't survive with your own business. Some people are wired to get things done on their own and some people need a boss to set parameters for them. It's your choice and you appear to have chosen the employee route. Nothing wrong with that.

    Mike

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    Wholesaling is every bit as much a job as being a sysadmin. Both have more pleasant and less pleasant aspects. If you don't do the less pleasant aspects you won't get to do the more pleasant ones. Could well be wholesaling is just not the right job for you.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Conroe, TX · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 43 votes
    17y

    Yea, I can relate. Shortly after I started, I discovered that there were tasks involved that I really didn't care to do. I guess it's the same for everything except utopia. All work is a process.

    Over the years, I've learned a few things about myself.

    I've learned that I have enjoyed working many times but not all times.

    I've learned that I enjoy leisure but not at all times.

    I've learned that most times I enjoy leisure more than working.

    I enjoy quality leisure time. I like talking to friends and family. I like spending time watching movies, playing Xbox, going outside and hitting a few, networking on BP, playing online poker ect....

    How does an individual become and stay motivated to excell?

    Either it's a matter of work ethic or a matter of motivation. Both are easy to obtain by modeling or emulating some one who possesses those characteristics.

    I remember something one of my rich friends used to say.

    "If you see someone who has mastered a certain positive character trait...like integrity or honesty. You should do all in your power to shamelessly steal it, then incorporate it into your system.

    It was his way of saying that we should copy the good habits of those that are successful.
    Even the Bible instructs the sluggard to go study ants.

    What I do is harness my natural inclination to vacilate. After I get a harness on it, I set it loose to fuel my daily efforts.

  • Foreclosure Specialist · Pleasant Grove, UT · Member since 2008 · 41 posts · 2 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    If you're not self-motivated, you simply can't survive with your own business. Some people are wired to get things done on their own and some people need a boss to set parameters for them.

    *sigh* I was kinda afraid of that, but have somewhat of that "gut feeling" that you may be right.
    Still, I have to question it to a degree. I still have that same "what a pain to do this" about the parameters my boss sets for me at my job. However, once I get past that what-a-pain roadblock, I'm rip, roarin' ready to go. Just the other day, there was a problem with a warranty deed on a property. Bam! I was instantly in the zone: getting in touch with title companies, putting together the paperwork, getting it submitted to the county recorder, project done completed successfully. The same thing is with my IT job: new project drawn up, getting the software put together, setting the configurations, debugging the hiccups, marking it as complete.
    In both cases, once I "get in the zone", I'm a machine. It feels great!

    Anyways, sorry for dragging everyone into my mid-life soul searching crisis. I feel like a total dumb**s for being such a wuss. Don't quote me on that! :mrgreen:

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2008 · 28 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    This might sound a little harsh, but you need to get off your *** and start doing the everything you know needs to be done, in order to get where you want to be. You need to start doing things that you don't want to, or don't like, in order to get somewhere. Just get focused, and forget about the pain, and how hard it will be. Also I would recommend books by Larry Winget. I read a book, by him, called "You are Broke Because You Want to Be". A lot of times You just need to ignore your emotions and feelings, and go with your gut. If you don't do what's right, you might find yourself in a place or situation where you don't want to be.Hope this motivates you enough.

  • Real Estate Coach · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2009 · 30 posts · 7 votes
    17y

    I read your post on another forum. Real estate is not easy, but it's simple. It's as simple as putting out signs, sending out letters, making phone calls, placing an ad, networking, putting out flyers, passing out business cards.

    But that all takes work, and you better believe it at first you will need to do all of those things in order to get going, unless you already have a lot of cash to where you can outsource all those things.

    The people who will be rewarded are the ones who will do things that others won't do...

  • Bridgeville, PA · Member since 2009 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Hi Dean - Coming from a person that has never met you and must make a guesstimate based on one entry on an internet forum, I would say that you don't have particular passion for your job or the process of wholesaling - sure, you can tolerate it, you're good at it, you could be more motivated in taking part in it, but you don't really live and breath for the process - what you love is the checks at the end of the road. Don't quit, just restructure your time. What you really want to be doing is checking out a movie, relaxing or playing video games - that's what de-stresses you. It sounds as if you now feel guilty for taking part in these things. You need to make room for the things that you enjoy, and make time for your wholesaling goals as well. Every other day, take wholesaling calls - market, research, etc. The other days, go home after work and play video games, crack a beer and chill. You'll burn yourself out if you try to be all business all the time. Wholesaling is a business for yourself - you get out of it what you put in, to a degree. Put the amount of effort in that you feel is necessary to keep your sanity and put money in your pocket.

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2009 · 456 posts · 123 votes
    17y

    for someone claiming to have attention span issues, you sure did manage to write a post that takes a hell of an attentions pan to get through! next time try breaking it up into paragraphs, humans need white space too so their eyes can take a break!

    I understand where you're coming from, as I am also an IT person and I'm not really the personality type to just walk up to a stranger and start asking them about properties in the area and if they know who lives in what property and when they'll be home, etc. I'm just not much of a "salesman/bullsh***er" type. It's something that takes effort.

    Having said that, you can use your IT background to emphasize IT advertising. Don't want to post signs up? Use google ad words. Use Yahoo ad services. I believe Microsoft Live has a service too. Build a decent website, optimize it and submit it to decent search engines. Make a sitemap and fine-tune your keywords. Then post ads on sites like craigslist to drive people to your site.

    I ordered business cards from VistaPrint and they included a 50$ google ad words credit as a promotional item. I have already gotten several cash buyers to contact me just via google adwords pointing them to my site.

    Once you have a decent buyers list you will be way more confident when approaching sellers and that will make all the difference. You can just cut right through the crap and say I work with a few investors and this is exactly what they're looking for. We all buy with cash and close quickly. If you can negotiate to a price that works, sign a purchase agreement with him right there. Just be all business don't hesitate and act normal, he won't have much reason to object. If you get all nervous he is going to ask you a thousand questions some of which will be very hard to answer. You need to close him right there, if you have to get back to him odds are it won't end up going through.

    Laziness is like cancer just cut it out of your system or it will eat you alive.

  • Red Oak, TX · Member since 2009 · 44 posts · 2 votes
    17y

    Uhh...

    Afraid of failure...

    Afraid of success...

    At least you understand that making the calls come to you is the way to go...

    Also, laziness can be a successful trait....

    As long as your mind is not lazy... and you can survive long enough to get people in place to do the other work needed...

    Temporarily...

    You need to change you definition of fun... and

    Find some short term things you want....

    And find a a way to change the definition long enough to reprogram yourself emotionally... to make a committment to "that thing"...

  • Real Estate Investor · Amarillo, TX · Member since 2008 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    It has been said, “People only change when it is too painful to stay the sameâ€. I know this statement to be true. The "PAIN" of not having the things you want or even worse need, will motivate you at some point. You are motivated to go to your 9 to 5 job now because you have to put food on the table and you are comfortable with that. I think David A. hit it on the head, motivation may not be as much of a problem for you as fear is. Over come the fear of talking to people on a business level. What is the worst that can happen… They say no. Remember the definition of F.E.A.R.=

    False
    Expiations
    Appearing
    Real

    Now suck it up and lets go… you can do it.

  • Foreclosure Specialist · Pleasant Grove, UT · Member since 2008 · 41 posts · 2 votes
    17y

    Ugh! Not that stupid fear acronym again? If I hear that annoying acronym for job, I think I'll tear my eyes out so that I don't have to ever see it again.
    Anyways, now that I've got that rant off my chest, let me continue with it. >=)
    Donald Trump. Hate him, or love him, the facts remain that he is a more successful real-estate investor than probably every one of us here individually, and a large majority of us combined. I have never heard Donald bring up that silly fear acronym, even when he mostly endorses Robert Kiyosaki. Kiyosaki, who does spew out substanceless acronym catch phrases in order to take money from our pockets and put it into his by hawking his self-help books. The fear acronym, and all acronyms like it, I consider to be fluff used by those who really aren't all that trying to appear bigger and greater like they wished they were. Like a peacock strutting its feathers - cut those feathers away and its just another scrawny bird.
    On to the next rant. Haha!
    Fear? I'm no stranger to bungee jumping, rapelling, cliff jumping on my snowboard, cliff diving, sky diving, paintball, white water rafting, etc. etc. I thrive off the adrenaline rush that comes from experiencing "fear" like that. Love that stuff! Fear of failure? I can talk to anybody at random about them selling their house, apartment, condo, shopping center, lawn mower, bicycle, whatever. Randomly point your finger at a stranger's name in the phone book and I have no problem calling them and talking about selling their house. Problem is, why would I do that? That random person probably doesn't want to sell, much less have a reason to sell their house (or whatever). I do have a big issue with wasting time. Fear of wasting time? More like annoyed to an extreme of wasting it. Now, you may call me on, Well, you waste time with those video games. Not necessarily. I gain valuable recreation time from it. I'm wasting time just as much as the guy that goes out in his boat on weekends is wasting his time. Just as much as the lady that attends a Shakespearean play. Just as much as the family that tours Europe. Personal preference and all that, yadda, yadda, yadda. Back on track - I do have a big issue with wasting time. Thomas Edison failed 1000 times to make a light bulb work, blah, blah, blah; I'm not new to the pump-you-up conventions. I've heard it all a hundred times. If I would have had to do Edison's light bulb inventing, I would have shot myself long before the 100'th. Not because of "oh, woah is me! I'm such a failure! boo-hoo!", more because of "My hell how many more times do I have to do this monotonous, tedius stuff? Booooorrrrrrrriiiiiinnnnnngggggg! Shoot me now, please!" Yes, a shrink would label me as having ADD. I can't sit still in just one place for much more than 30 minutes before getting so agitated that I have to get up and do something, anything, just do something. It makes work extremely difficult, because I'm bored of whatever I'm working on after about an hour and a half or so. That boredism demotivates me to get a project at work started and then I'm bored because I'm not working on anything! HAHAHA! The longest job span has been less than 3 years. Damn good that I work in I.T. where turnover is typically a few years. Haha!
    So, back to real-estate. I'm bored of it after about 6 contacts with potential sellers. Whether its door knocking NODs or calling up FSBOs. They're thought process is probably something like, "Who the hell are you and why are you bugging me about my house?" while my thought process is "Just shut the hell up and sell me your house dirt cheap so that I can resell it and cash a big fat check". WooT! My thought process while at work is "Leave me the hell alone so that I can complete the project. I'm far more interested in completing my project that whatever annoyance you are gonna bring me" double WooT! :D
    So when do I actually get excited about real-estate? When someone says, "Sure, I'm gonna sell my house to you"; the lender says, "Here's your approval letter for payoff", the buyer says, "Here's my offer", the title agent hands me that nice check at closing. Everything else that is required to get to those points that I love about real-estate, Boooooorrrrrriiiiinnnnngggggg! And its that way with everything that I have to do to get what I really want: How do I become a super elite ninja? Do a billion lower blocks and front punches - How do I grow lady swooning muscles like Arnold Schwarzenagerghweggwgergereerrr? Do 800,000 push ups - How do I fly an airplane? Study cloud formations and submitting 10,000 simulated flight plans - How do I invest a light bulb? Fail 1000 times. I'm sorry, but I just don't find the failure to be fun, exciting, thrilling, enticing, stimulating, enjoyable, pleasurable, desirable, motivational.. Like I said, I've been thru the real-estate howto circuit enough to know that you just have to slog thru all that to get to the parts that I actually enjoy.
    Afraid of success? Huh?? I succeed all the time, in all types of things, and I can assure that I'm not shaking in my boots at that point of success. Again, I'm calling bullsh** on this fear spewage that people bring up. The success is that part I want. Its the only part I want. I want to cut the middleman of failure right out of my picture. Everyone that defaults to the fear "reason" has undoubtedly heard from some "mentor" that time is valuable. Exactly. I don't want to be wasting my valuable time on failures. Having to go thru 100 failures to get that 1 success just isn't enough to make it worth it to go thru 100 more failures. The 100-1 ratio is what most real-estate "mentors" will often cite. Anybody that gets off on that is truly masochistic! Maybe I'm just not masochistic enough for real-estate investing. *snicker*
    ...
    .....
    Geez. Where did that come from? Was I having a pissy week or what?? Hi, I'm Dean. There's one thing I can guarantee you all - I'll piss you off! Hahaha! :D Anyways, hey, I do hear you all. Everyone did/does have good points even though I may have fully ripped on your other points. *grin* I've been at real-estate long enough now to know that it requires a crap load of crap work to get to those cashing the check glory moments. I just haven't figured out how to make that crap work be as fun as shooting imaginary spaceships tha

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y

    Wow, after spending so many sentences telling us how much you hate wasting time, I have to imagine you wasted at least a half hour on that useless post...

    I have to agree with MikeOH on this one...

    You sound like you want a way to "get rich quick" with no risk, no real effort, no pain, and no hard work, etc. Unfortunately, it generally doesn't work that way -- you have to work hard, and do a lot of things you don't necessarily want to do, if you want to be successful at something.

    It's sound like you're not willing to do any work that you don't consider "fun," and if you're not willing to do the "crap work" to bootstrap yourself, you might as well give up now.

    It doesn't sound like real estate (or any real-life business venture) is right for you...

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2009 · 456 posts · 123 votes
    17y

    this guy just wants to ramble on and on about his boring *** life story, stop giving him attention

    ps... your postings read like my sister's blog posts... no offense but.. we're not really interested in the intimate details of your personal life...

  • Foreclosure Specialist · Pleasant Grove, UT · Member since 2008 · 41 posts · 2 votes
    17y

    Well, this is the psychology section, so what are you expecting?

    Anyways, the real big question remains: Is all of this stuff fun? And if its not, why do it? Thinking about it now, I have not ever heard any real-estate investor ever say something even remotely along the lines of, "Dude, this real-estate stuff is so much fun! You have GOT to come try this!" I have heard people say that about things like water skiing. I've heard people say that about Wii Sports. I've never heard a real-estate investor say, "I have the greatest job in the world!" (Yes, I know. A real-estate investor would never use the word job in a sentence about themselves. We get it already). I have heard people say it about things like mountaineering tour guide. Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter, God rest his soul, never stopped talking about how great his job was. I've never heard a real-estate investor talk about real-estate investing with such enthusiasm, energy, and love of the work like the Crocodile Hunter did about his "job". I think it's safe to say that Steve Irwin truly had fun at what he did and didn't do it just to get to the fun things. The general consensus I gather from those that are actually doing real-estate, or those that build up a doing real-estate image, is that they aren't doing the real-estate because its fun. They are doing the real-estate so that they can get to the fun things that they really want to be doing instead.

    Did I miss something?

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    17y

    Taz tries to hand Dean one well certified clue.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    Despite the guru BS, real estate is just as much a job and most other jobs. The ONLY activity we discuss here I would really consider investing is owning property. Wholesaling, developing, rehabbing, and property management are really, honest-to-goodness jobs. You turn the crank, money comes out. Gurus like to deride the notion of "trading hours for dollars", but THAT'S ALL IT IS!

    Owning (not managing) property, like owning stocks, bonds, CDs, or another other sort of investment, its truly an investment. You put your money into something and it earns more money.

    I have no statistics to back this up, but I think most people don't particularly like their job. They do it because they get paid. A small portion of people get to do a job they actually enjoy, at least to some extent. A tiny portion of people get to do something they really love.

    Why? Luck. Nothing more. Yes, hard work counts, and you don't get there without hard work and knowledge. But hard work and knowledge are insufficient to get you to one of those "love it" kind of jobs. You have to have some luck. You have to be in the right place and the right time with the right skills and knowledge.

    Read Malcom Gladwell's book "Outliers". Its an enlightening, if somewhat discouraging read. Yes, Bill Gates got very rich because he gave IBM the right answer at the right time. And he worked very, very hard. But he also grew up in a neighborhood where the moms all were able to raise money to give the kids access to computer time at a very early age. That's pure luck. How many other equally bright kids could have done what he did but had no way to learn about computers early on? He has numerous other examples of why a confluence of fortunate events, i.e., "luck", is a requirement for getting to a Steve Irwin type situation.

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2009 · 456 posts · 123 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Dean Julie:
    Anyways, the real big question remains: Is all of this stuff fun? And if its not, why do it? Thinking about it now, I have not ever heard any real-estate investor ever say something even remotely along the lines of, "Dude, this real-estate stuff is so much fun! You have GOT to come try this!" I have heard people say that about things like water skiing. I've heard people say that about Wii Sports.


    grow up. life isn't about fun. paying taxes isn't fun. being by a family member's side while they die isn't fun. sticking up for your brother or friend getting picked on at school and getting your *** kicked isn't fun. working out the problems every couple has in a relationship isn't fun. you do these things, because they are the right thing to do.

    if you want to just "have fun" then go sell drugs and eventually get caught, go to jail, and see how much "fun" you have when you find yourself all alone in the shower with "bubba" the serial rapist

    and you don't generally get paid to play wii sports, now do you. god do you actually read your posts before you click the submit button?

    have a FUN day

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Dean Julie:

    Anyways, the real big question remains: Is all of this stuff fun?


    YES!

    I left my corporate job making A LOT of money to flip houses for a living, and I can honestly say it's the most fun I've ever had making money, and even though I have enough cash saved that I don't really need to be doing this, I still work my *** off...because IT'S FUN!

    I get to make my own hours, I get to do the parts of the job I enjoy (and let my employees do the rest), I get to work side-by-side with my wife all day, etc. It's fun. Everyday. Even those frustrating days where nothing seems to go right is fun.

    Would I have fun wholesaling? Probably not, as I'm not a big "people person." Would I have fun landlording? Probably not, as I don't like dealing with whiny tenants (though I'd happily own rentals and hire a PM company). Would I have fun doing other real estate strategies? Probably not as much...

    But that's the nice thing about real estate. There are thousands of ways to make money, and it's very possible that you can find at least one of them that is fun to you. I did.

    Of course, maybe you can't find any aspect of real estate that's fun for you. In which case, you shouldn't be in real estate! It's that easy. If you really hate it, don't do it. Go find something you don't hate doing.

    Of course, maybe you couldn't find any money-making effort to be fun, in which case you need to decide whether it's more important to have fun or more important to have a roof over your head and food on the table. Whatever you decide, consider that it may not be real estate that is the issue...it's probably your attitude and your perspective on making money...

    Good luck!

  • Foreclosure Specialist · Pleasant Grove, UT · Member since 2008 · 41 posts · 2 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Corey Demuth:
    grow up. life isn't about fun.


    Geez, Corey, try not to strive too hard to obtain the least amount of fun possible. Your posts are the most un-fun ones in this entire thread. Granted, mine may be a very close second. It definately does show that you worked I.T. I still work I.T. and work alongside people like you and it truly is not any fun at all. That's unfortunate that you choose to be stuck in an un-fun life and/or world. I don't want to be. You may not find fun enjoyable, but I find it is that which I want most out of life. My whole point and purpose is to obtain as much fun in life as possible. Work can be fun. I know people that have fun with their work everyday, all day. I am hoping, and it appears, that real-estate can be fun work. J Scott would seem to have found some aspects of it that are, while others that are not. Ryan David gave a good way to balance the fun along with work necessities. I, too, have already found some parts of real-estate that are fun. My hope is that if I keep digging around in that real-estate barrel, I'll find that golden puzzle piece that is the most fun for me and off I'll go. That's the point of this thread.
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    17y

    Folks - Lets try and keep this productive instead of being semi-nasty to one another. Thanks.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Dean Julie:
    Anyways, the real big question remains: Is all of this stuff fun? And if its not, why do it? Thinking about it now, I have not ever heard any real-estate investor ever say something even remotely along the lines of, "Dude, this real-estate stuff is so much fun! You have GOT to come try this!" I have heard people say that about things like water skiing. I've heard people say that about Wii Sports. I've never heard a real-estate investor say, "I have the greatest job in the world!"


    Of course it's fun. But like any job or sport, including water skiing, there is a period of "unfun" time where your sorry *** is being dragged across the lake while you learn to stand on the skis. Not to mention the injuries and arthritis you develop as the result of some sports. How fun is that stuff?

    Originally posted by Dean Julie:
    Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter, God rest his soul, never stopped talking about how great his job was. I've never heard a real-estate investor talk about real-estate investing with such enthusiasm, energy, and love of the work like the Crocodile Hunter did about his "job". I think it's safe to say that Steve Irwin truly had fun at what he did and didn't do it just to get to the fun things....Did I miss something?


    Yes, you missed something. He's dead. He was killed with two young children and if you've seen his wife on T.V, for a long time she was only a shell of her former happy self. That is not a happy, fun, ha ha, positive thing and I'm quite sure he didn't love dying - even though it was part of his job. Everything that has a positive has risks that sometimes result in a negative event. Sometimes that negative is hard work, or risk to one's self.

    Tim
  • Flipper · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2009 · 159 posts · 32 votes
    17y

    Dean,

    I am very very new to real estate. However, in my current job, I can completely relate which is WHY I am here now. I am a web developer and have worked from home on my own for many years now. I too have ADD. I am very creative and have my moments where I just LOVE my job. I can make a masterpiece one day and then it just fizzles out and I can't be creative if my life depended on it. There are days when I would rather frame a wall then even look at another client's website. And even though I have those moments where I love my job, I still have those moments where I am just thinking... "I am so sick of this." I want/need more money, but some times I just can't make my mind do the work. My motivation comes and goes, but I can be a real power house when my mind and body want to.

    I have been sitting here for years now thinking... I am destined for something bigger and better. Feeling like this just isn't it. Waiting for an opportunity to make it happen. Finally, out of my own misfortune (a car accident), I am now financially able to make my move.

    I ask myself, will I feel the same way about flipping houses (what I want to do), as I do about my web development? Will I have moments where I just don't want to screw with it anymore? I'm sure I will. But, I do have a passion for renovating houses and making money. I think it would be worth it and there is nothing worse then passing up an opportunity and wondering "what if" for the rest of your life. So I tell myself, I am going to do this! I am going to get off the couch, turn the xbox off, and make something fantastic with my life.

    If you are content with where you are, then you probably won't change anything. But if something more is what you want, then you really have to make yourself go after it. It might be a mental struggle (which I am no stranger too), but you can do it.

    Very few jobs in the world will always be fun every day (common sense). The goal is to get as close as possible to doing what makes you happy as much of the time as possible. To make your life as enjoyable as posssible while providing for yourself.

    And you know... look at it like this... the sooner you get off the couch and do it... the more money you make... the sooner you can retire and never do it again.

  • Real Estate Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2008 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    17y

    It seems as though, to me, you dont have a vision for the end product. You seem to enjoy the action of getting things done, if there is a lull, any time you have to really apply yourself, or something isnt spelled out for you...you give up. Video games, theres multiple levels...each level you must do something, or a list of things..to complete it. You notice you are always running in a video game to get to the next objective (You never walk in Halo to shoot the next person)...Same goes for which ever real estate venture you follow. See/Know the end result...notice and acknowledge the steps deciding how you are going to achieve them...and start running. The end wont come unless you start.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lakeview, NY · Member since 2009 · 309 posts · 49 votes
    17y

    i'm still thinking about selling drugs and bubba the serial rapist.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lakeview, NY · Member since 2009 · 309 posts · 49 votes
    17y

    I' am ROLLING right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.