Real Estate Investor · Southfield, MI · Member since 2010 · 47 posts · 43 votes
There are a ton of great ideas on "How To" do whatever needs to be done here on BP, but are there things each of us can do that don't require advice? Is there a natural force that will help you become happier with your life?
I've noticed that my day to day routine is ALWAYS positively effected by a good physical workout. When I get up in the morning and workout, be it an hour lifting weights, a brisk jog, some form of cardio, yoga, swimming...whatever, I've found a direct correlation to my actual ability to create success in my life. I'm more focused on what I do, more motivated to do it, more patient with clients & prospects, all my relationships both personal & professional improve, I sleep better, wake up easier, eat healthier.
30-60 mins/day of physical exercise make a BIG difference for me one way or the other. Not to mention I feel stronger & more confident.
Is it true for you? Have you tried? How important is physiology on your mental approach to business?
Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
16y
As one who once weighed an EMBARRASSINGLY 362 pounds, and now 159 pounds: I can emphattically say lean is mean! Much more energy and more positive outlook. No regular regimen on workout but stay very active and don't sleep much.( check time of posts this morning for example.) Health is even more important as you get older, imo. Rich
Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2010 · 13 posts · 4 votes
16y
I agree that having a good cardio workout along with weightlifting improves your mental outlook. 4x a week I run 3 miles and weightlift. I find it to be an excellent stress reliever, Not as good as having a hot girlfriend but still a good stress reliever.
Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
16y
As one who once weighed an EMBARRASSINGLY 362 pounds, and now 159 pounds: I can emphattically say lean is mean! Much more energy and more positive outlook. No regular regimen on workout but stay very active and don't sleep much.( check time of posts this morning for example.) Health is even more important as you get older, imo. Rich
Lexington, KY · Member since 2010 · 315 posts · 133 votes
16y
I think far to many people focus on weights and workout routines, etc. That is great for working on certain muscle groups and all that good stuff. I think the best workout and one that people generally neglect in lieu of going to the gym and lifting or running is sport.
Go walk a few holes of golf everyday, play some tennis, take a walk with your spouse, play some sports with your kids, etc. There are a thousand ways to exercise that don't include walking into a gym. For some reason we've developed this idea of "working out" because instead of staying in shape through subsistence farming like we have done historically, we live in a day in age where we now sit at our office jobs all day, drive the fast food lane to get food without taking a step outside our car, and then get home and decide we must go "work out" and lift weights to exercise the calories off.
Sorry for my rant, and yes I think exercise is great for your mental state in a variety of ways.
But, my point is that throughout the history of mankind we have never, until now, picked up weights to throw them around and work our muscles, instead you picked up bales of hay to feed your livestock and did hard labor all day. I think you should exercise by doing something you enjoy and not have the thought of "I need to exercise", but instead to just have an active lifestyle.
Real Estate Investor · Southfield, MI · Member since 2010 · 47 posts · 43 votes
16y
I agree with you Jimmie. My point wasn't advocating weight lifting (that's just what I like) but physical activity. Its something everyone can do to improve their quality of life. It has to be a lifestyle if it is going to be sustained. To sustain it has to be habit & to make it habit it must be something you enjoy or you wont keep doing it.
Bottom line though is find what you like to do that requires physical activity and do it consistently...then watch how positive things start happening to you and for you.
Wholesaler · Whippany, NJ · Member since 2009 · 412 posts · 183 votes
16y
I am usually a very active person. Used to play basketball 2 to 3 times a week, baseball on the weekends and golf when ever I could. The only problem with sports is that they take up a lot of time. I like going to the gym because I can get a good workout in 30 to 60 minutes and then get back to RE stuff.
I do enjoy sports much more then the gym, but I enjoy the extra time I get from going to the gym.. No what I mean?
In any event, I agree with the original poster about fitness making a huge difference in your mood and efficiency
Investor · Southlake, TX · Member since 2009 · 950 posts · 338 votes
16y
I think the key is to do something that gives you physical activity that you enjoy. An escape even for a short while is a great mental relief. The physical activity gives us both a mental and physical benefit.
Now, how many people make this a priority in their busy lives? Or, does it get pushed back a few days, weeks, etc?
I'm guilty of putting it off and not always making it a priority.
Lexington, KY · Member since 2010 · 315 posts · 133 votes
16y
Originally posted by Ryan Wilkinson:
I agree with you Jimmie. My point wasn't advocating weight lifting (that's just what I like) but physical activity.
Ryan, you are exactly right, and I was not critiquing - I just went off on my own little tangent.
Physical acitvity must be made a part of your life and having an active lifestyle. Whether it is sport or not, find something you enjoy doing for your activity.
I think being active is great for you all around, and can absolutely promote the energy, confidence, and mental tenacity needed to succeed in REI
Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
I'm sure that regular physical exercise helps clear the mental cobwebs. It is easy to get busy and just not do it. Sometimes I just take a short break of 15 - 20 minutes to do a little exercise and usually come back better able to focus.
Flipper/Rehabber · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 726 votes
16y
Its making a huge difference in my life. Wake up at 6, do p90x, and I'm ready to take on anything for the day. Granted, its not THAT easy, I have a long way to go before I'm at the weight I want to be at, and its tiring starting out. But I cant imagine my life right now without it.
Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2009 · 8 posts · 2 votes
16y
It really is amazing that over the past couple of months of working out daily, just how focused I have become. I am sleeping much better and am way more task oriented than before.
Real Estate Investor · Southfield, MI · Member since 2010 · 47 posts · 43 votes
16y
Originally posted by Anson Young:
Its making a huge difference in my life. Wake up at 6, do p90x, and I'm ready to take on anything for the day.
P90X Baby! Now you're talking Anson! Not only do you want to have some physical activity you're doing it extreme style. That's great to hear. I love P90. In fact I turned my 2 1/2 car garage into a gym complete with rubber flooring, two chin up towers, dumb bell weight rack 5-85lbs, bench & a flat screen tv to do P90 in. My brother & a friend come work out with me as well.
If you want to feel amazing, do P90x. Its tough & it takes a strong commitment but It's impossible not to improve yourself so you look & feel better if you do it.
ALL the P90 hype is true! Thanks for sharing Anson.
Residential Real Estate Broker · Orange County, CA · Member since 2010 · 41 posts · 3 votes
16y
I completely agree! Balancing being a real estate broker (newbie investor), wife and mother to a 3 year old can be tiring and stressful.
Working out helps relieve stress and clear the mind which helps in all aspects of life. I love classes at the gym such as kickboxing or cycling and weights; although I have just started the P90x workout too. It is lots of fun and a great challenge.
Real Estate Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2010 · 28 posts · 12 votes
16y
Hey Ryan,
This is a great topic you posted. I would consider myself a newbie to REI, although currently involved in a few deals. I have not been doing REI yet for a year.
One issue that came up once the heat was on and I jumped into my first (what I thought was going to be profitable) deal is that my exercise program just got scrapped. I had been back on the wagon and getting into great shape thru mostly weights & some cardio. Then got intense into the REI stuff and found it hard to maintain my early morning routine. In my situation, it's first thing early in the morning, or will never get done. By early, I mean waking up @ 5:30am.
I've been trying ever since to get back into doing something, even if only a 30 min. walk in the morning. I've actually considered getting a bike to use for doing 'riding for dollars', that way I could say I'm working out and prospecting at the same time :lol:
A full-time day job, wife & 2 small children, in addition to my goal of being successful at REI has it's challenges. If you include networking events and education, I probably spend close to 25 hrs/wk working on my business. That's in addition to my full-time job and husband/parenting duties. Nevertheless, I can't help but feel that I'm not as good at my game as I should be due to lack of physical activity. Your post has reminded me of that I need to do something about it, so THANK YOU.
I would like to put a plug in for weightlifting, or resistance training in general. For me, I've found I get the fastest and most pleasing results from this activity. The more I do it, the more I want to do more of it. If you read all the latest health and fitness info, intense resistance training is always mentioned as an optimal way to get into and stay in shape. Perhaps it also helps that I LOVE it! I plug my iPod in, get cranking, sweat, get pumped, and feel great!
Real Estate Investor · Southfield, MI · Member since 2010 · 47 posts · 43 votes
16y
Glad to hear it Matthew. You're more dedicated than I waking up at 5:30 to work out. Now you just need to get the real estate cash flowing for you so you can leave the job and work out whenever you choose. Keep on grinding! Thanks for the post.
Real Estate Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2010 · 28 posts · 12 votes
16y
YES, good point! That's why I got into this game in the first place, to get rich and get outta the rat race! That way I can enjoy this place's beauty even more...thanks for reminding me how lucky I am to live here. OK, gotta get back to grinding....
Lender · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 277 votes
16y
Ryan,
Great post! I think it definitely does affect your mindset. I am 25 and have been working out decently consistently since I was 15 years old...I am partial to cardio/weight lifting b/c that is what I like, but I am in favor of whatever "work out" may do it for you. I tend to take things extreme myself and basically have fitness goals this year in addition to monetary ones. I am in the process of doing INSANITY (have lost 25lbs so far, leaning up!), made by the same people who make P90x. I believe working out, however that may be, gives you a clearer mind, more focus, more confidence and self-esteem and thus that should pour over into whatever you are doing - job, business, etc. Having a healthy body is part of having a healthy mindset. Just my .02
Real Estate Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2010 · 681 posts · 241 votes
16y
It seems like exercise is the first thing to go when you get in a time crunch. We like to kayak and take long walks (5 miles minimum). We try for everyday, but don't always make it. I find that along with the exercise, the time to talk and relax together is a great stress reducer.
Real Estate Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2008 · 12 posts · 13 votes
16y
P90X is great for those who are already in great condition. However, i've learned that most people quit somewhere within the 90 days because it's so tough.
In my opinion, Power 90 (P90) is better to start with. The work outs are slightly shorter and not quite intense. More importantly, physical fitness is more about being consistent that having a drastic change in a short time frame.
I'd recommend to start with Power 90 for the first 90 days then move on to P90X for the next 90 and maybe INSANITY after that.
Investor · Southlake, TX · Member since 2009 · 950 posts · 338 votes
16y
I'm hearing more about "burst training". Basically short, maximum effort, sometimes to exhaustion. It doesn't take up as much time but the claims are it is more effective.
Real Estate Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2010 · 449 posts · 173 votes
16y
I think anything which requires a lot of concentration on something simple does absolute wonders for your mindset. I used to go out to my drive where I have a basketball hoop, and shoot 100 jumpers every night. True to my competitive nature, I would keep track of how many I made and keep trying to better it. This meant I had to focus a lot once I was warmed up, and about to start on my 100. There's something about focusing so much on this simple thing that just makes all the worries of the day disappear. It's a kind of meditation.
Another thing that has always worked for me is guitar (I've played for over 18 yrs - my entire adult life) - it's not physical obviously, but it has that same meditative quality.
Select a State · Member since 2010 · 3 posts · 0 votes
16y
its very true that exercise helps you balance your self out! so technically everybody shuold do some exercise of some sort a couple of times per week at least. it is proven that the exercise helps you balance your self out. it makes you more relaxed as you can work stress of, personally joggingis great for that, also by working out a bit you feel more energetic becasue your body is being trained and so you feel less lethargic! but with that healthy eating is important too. it is very important to work off anxiety, stress and similar negative impacts. thats why you can feel more balanced, relaxed, patient and that. the nutritions in the healthy foods also add to that. one important thing is that caffeine has negative effects actually, and promotes fatiquness and anxiety, and so should be avoided.
i feel i better after having done soem exercise. and doing it in the morning is the perfect way to start the day. but then again, i do it when it fits in my day.:)