I own my home outright...asset or liability?

I own my home outright...asset or liability?

Flipper/Rehabber · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 7 votes
I have been reading “Rich Dad Poor Dad” for the first time and I have to say...mind blown. I always saw my dad as very financially responsible, coming from a very poor upbringing and making a comfortable life for our family. Now I realize two things, (1) I’m not wrong in that thinking, but (2) his conservative ways did not generate wealth, but just allowed him to join the Rat Race and ”make ends meet”. Now, eliminating debt was always a priority of his, and consequently a priority of mine, but I see that there is still much more to the idea of true financial independence, so my wheels are turning non-stop as I try to further develop my understanding of what it means to create wealth, and the many ways of gaining assets while using other peoples money (thank you Bigger Pockets Community!). So, I was thinking about my current situation. I have a good job, am completely debt free, I am living in and rehabbing a wonderful old house that looks down on the Columbia River in Washington State, I own another house about 1 hour away that will become my first official BRRR, and I have a couple other pieces of land that I plan on developing within the next year. At first I viewed my house as an asset, but after reading more in RDPD, I am starting to think that, even though I don’t have a mortgage, this house is still, technically, a liability because it is not putting money in my pocket. Two questions that I’d love some feedback on: (1) Do you agree with the idea that, despite not having a mortgage, my house is a liability? I’m not suggesting that a debt free home is not a justifiable liability, but just that it IS a liability. (2) Does it make sense to put the equity from this home to work for me and use the cash to buy more assets, even if it means taking out a mortgage and increasing the magnitude of the liability? I really appreciate any thoughts on this. I was told about Bigger Pockets a few weeks ago and since then have not been able to shut my mind off. I have flipped several houses over the past several years, but only on a spot basis (take your money and run). I’m changing that strategy now and am eager to learn from all of you. Thanks in advance!
7Reply
242 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor/Accountant/Builder · Meno, OK · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 918 votes
8y

I have read "rich Dad poor dad". I love his wealth building philosophy, I am an investor in buy and hold rentals. I own boatloads of cheap rentals.

I built my house debt free in 1992 with the proceeds from the sale of the first two houses I built for myself in earlier times. I was 33. No house payments for 26 years. I would never borrow against it. There is something about no house payments.

See this reply in the discussion

61 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    "(1) Do you agree with the idea that, despite not having a mortgage, my house is a liability? I’m not suggesting that a debt free home is not a justifiable liability, but just that it IS a liability.

     (2) Does it make sense to put the equity from this home to work for me and use the cash to buy more assets, even if it means taking out a mortgage and increasing the magnitude of the liability?"

    -----------------------------------------

    The only person who can answer those question is you, and anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

    The answer depends on what amount of risk YOU are comfortable with. If you want to say "This is mine, and no one can ever take it from me," then better to own a hovel free and clear than a mansion hocked to the gills that keeps you awake at night. If you can sleep like a baby while the wolves circle, then maybe you are okay with a leveraged mansion. That's number one.

    You talk about building wealth, but how much wealth do you need? Specifically; How much money do you need by X years of your life in order to live the lifestyle you want for Y years thereafter? Only you can answer that question. Once you do, you need to figure out what return on your assets is needed to reach that amount of money by your X birthday. Examine the options and invest accordingly. It does not need to be in real estate. Or maybe you want part of a syndication deal in real estate, who knows? The important thing is to find out your ROI needed and balance that against the risk levels you are willing to take.

    Then there are life choices. Plenty of people could invest elsewhere and make as much or more money, but they choose to stay in their community and help turn it around. Similar situations abound, I am sure.


    There is, however, an iron rule of investing, with no exceptions. When evaluating your options, consider:

    Safety

    Income

    Growth

    -- chose two.

  • Private Equity Account Executive · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 48 posts · 15 votes
    8y

    For sure an asset.  Congratulations!!

    Best,

    Renee

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    WEll this is generally speaking a buy and hold investors  rich dad poor dad  PRO site..  so you replies will mirror that thought process.

    I think you have to take your home base and set it aside.. Most people that retire in style do so because their home is paid for think of the milliions of Californians  that did so and now us in the Northwest. those that are commenting from fly over country were there houses might go up 20k in 10 years I get that.. they look at homes much different than we do on the west coast.  Or at least in the Major MSA's on the west coast and your in one of those.. 

    And it depends on your age and your earning power..   

    To me your to be commended your dad was smart and  leave the home base alone you want to go wild with debt on your investments that's a choice.   And for 90% of folks you need debt to scale..  

    @Sharad M.  this young man that I tagged came here from a foreign land.. and he paid cash for all his rentals.. and now owns I think last time we talked about 50 of them free and clear.. now that's the way to do it.. Hands down.. I have so much respect for how he did it.   But that is the goal its not the number of doors its the number you have paid for.. that's when you really have it made..   plus his cash flow on his portfolio is probably as great as someone who owns 200 or so doors and is in massive debt. 

     Jay, thank you for the kind words. I look up to you so your words mean specially a lot to me. Thank you! Are you sure you wanted to tag me because you said something about a "young man"...lol

    I agree, I wouldn't change anything about my investing strategy except buying more houses when the prices were low but I was fortunate and blessed enough to have the opportunity to pick up those great rentals and have them be free and clear.

    The peace of mind is totally worth it

  • Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    8y
    @Kent McDaniel you are correct. Your home is a liability. But, that’s ok. Your car is also a liability. However, you have to have a car. The point is be aware of what creates income, and what takes your income. If you decide to live in a very nice house and drive a high dollar car, the result will be less money for the purchase of assets.
  • DJ DawsonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2015 · 394 posts · 259 votes
    8y
    @Kent McDaniel HELOC and you’re in the game!!!
  • Real Estate Broker · Greer, SC · Member since 2013 · 548 posts · 271 votes
    8y
    @Kent McDaniel Asset on balance sheet because it holds equity and you COULD use that equity. If you never sale or crank, the equity is dead. I would take free and clear dead equity in my primary house any day. There is an incaluable peace when your assest is safe. No reason to activate dead equity that's already giving you the benefits you want: a nice place to live and safety. Plus, it doesn't take your money to do deals anyway. Come to think of it, I have dead equity with obligations that I'm liable for. A simple buy with debt then seller finance to new home owner is just my game. I am only gonna make the spread on a deal that I wrapped my mortgage and sold. I am liable for my underlying payment every month. As long as my buyer performs, this asset accually is shrinking, even though it has cash flow. It's safer and less work than straight renting. I'm getting the benefits I want: safe, almost hasle free cash flow, without any of my cash invested. I'm getting to "live in" this deal as a lender and I'm content. Content and looking for next one.
  • Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 23 votes
    8y
    It’s not an asset or a liability. It’s your home. There is no calculator that can calculate your peace of mind. Good Job!
  • Investor · Saratoga, CA · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    It also depends on what stage of your life you are in.  For example, if you are closer to retirement or retired, living in a mortgage free house is great peace of mind.  I would rather use other money (such as from 401K or savings) to buy and hold or flip to get a steady cash flow coming in to finance the property taxes, monthly expenses, plus living and vacation expenses.  This way, you have peace of mind about your owned property AND financial stability to manage life.  Beyond that, do flips to generate additional wealth.  Don't touch the basic home....

  • Specialist · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 891 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jabari Long:
    @Hai Loc it’s a liability unless you are using the equity to generate income.

    Depends on situation especially in this scenario

    What if you have 3 properties that are all $1 million each, have 50% equity and all lenders are providing the same debt rates. 1 is your home and the other 2 investment cash flowing properties. Would you prefer to keep it that way? or have 1 property (your home) free and clear and have 75% LTV on the other 2? I know there are fees involve but lets say the investment properties have a HELOC on them.. This comes down to what i stated above "sleep at night". I would feel a whole lot better sleeping at night with ZERO lien on my house..

    So in this scenario as a whole on all your assets can you say your home is a liability? 

  • Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 23 votes
    8y

    Forget about borrowing money on your "liability', you'll just have two. If you're bothered by the "liability", sell it and invest 100% of the proceeds in assets and rent.

  • Developer · Point Pleasant Beach, NJ · Member since 2015 · 303 posts · 216 votes
    7y
    @Kent McDaniel I believe that it never makes sense to own your house free and clear unless you can’t find an investment that pays you more than the interest on a mortgage rate. With rates around 5% I don’t think it’s hard to find investments paying close to 10%. Why not max out your mortgage and buy an investment property for cash that pays you more than the mortgage? You now have a real asset that puts money into your pocket. It’s owned free and clear and it will help reduce your taxes.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.