Does anyone ever lose motivation?

Does anyone ever lose motivation?

Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 100 posts · 93 votes

Hey everyone!

I'm a very new investor who will be closing on his first property on March 26. For the past 6 months I've been really working to get this deal done and can finally see the finish line.

However, sometimes I lose motivation whenever someone says something negative about real estate. Especially, when they come from someone who has owned real estate.

I just wanted to know what do you guys do to keep your spirits up.

Thank you!

11Reply
97 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
5y

Gotta cut those people out. They don't know what they're talking about.

If they're friends or family, stop talking to them about money and investments. Get yourself around people who have invested in real estate. You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with.

Forget motivation, discipline is what matters.

See this reply in the discussion

64 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Misael Carlos Vera Please stop listening to naysayers, haters, excuse makers, etc. It will be the best day of your life when you do. Please go for it and don't look back! Always be smart, but listening to these folks will only make you be like them. If you go for it, you'll be financially free...they will be working for the man until a very old age. GO FOR IT.

  • Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    When you don't have to work for anyone, be your own boss and do whatever you want to, that's great feeling.... That will keep your sprits up......

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    I owned 12 rental units but if I said negative about real estate people may think I'm demotivating them while I'm calculating every bit of risks out there. Also the more one knowledgeable about investment and business, they know more investment options so direct REI is not the only viable option. Understanding the huge risk of having direct REI is being underappreciated here both in BP or in other terms, most folks only talking success story while investor that's losing money, they kept quiet. I think we shall listen to everybody regardless it will motivate someone or demotivate someone. I myself don't like to talk about my investment to someone else as other may have a different experience than me.

  • Rental Property Investor · Vail, CO · Member since 2021 · 19 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Misael Carlos Vera

    Plenty of others have mentioned to cut those people out, at least do not talk real estate/ investments with those people. Find yourself a mentor or other peers in the industry (BiggerPockets) and debunk the negative Nancy claims if you feel like it.

    I think we all can relate to your emotions and lack of motivation from time to time (missed deal, bad deal, negative Nancys)I typically only share my wins where I know it is reciprocated and the positivity rages!

    Would love to connect and discuss other habits and techniques I use for motivation etc.

  • Member since 2021 · 22 posts · 11 votes
    5y

    @Misael Carlos Vera this is why only 1% survive. Gotta be able to see the end goal. Stay on path. There’s always gonna be obstacles.

  • Jesse OttesenPro Member
    Investor · Staten Island, NY · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 23 votes
    5y

    @Misael Carlos Vera

    First off, congratulations on your first rental property. As a fellow NYC resident I’ve heard of plenty of negative RE stories too. I view them as things to be cautious about. If you’re going to invest in NYC you need to have the financial strength to absorb a 12 to 18 month eviction. However based on your profile you’re investing out of state, good move. Surround yourself with positive successful people and keep moving forward.

  • Gregory SchwartzBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Misael Carlos Vera this game is a roller coaster. Somedays I feel like a real estate tycoon ready to take over the world and some days I feel like an imposter who has no idea what I'm doing. Sometimes I have this swing of emotion multiple times in one day. Just keep your eye on the end goal and remember it's worth it!

  • Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Real estate is the best investment. Don’t listen to the negative talk. If you can't cut them out then just stay away from discussing your work with them and, find people you can discuss your work with that are positive. Congrats on your first property.

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Misael Carlos Vera

    Keep the faith. The faith in yourself. The faith in you self education. All of it. I have had negative things said to me by both family/friends and other seasoned real estate investors. Now, I am still working towards getting my first deal, but I have realized I take it all with handful of salt grains on a margarita glass.

    I take into consideration what they say, why they're saying it, and I see how it applies to myself in goals and knowledge. There is always what I want in life, my goals and there is always the knowledge I have consumed this far.

    Sometimes they have a point I haven't thought of, it just gets lost in their emotions (sometimes emotional OUTBURSTS lol).

    I take comfort in this community right here where I nuture the education to reach my goals.

    Really hope that helps.

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Abel Guzman

    Even if it does get as bad as 2008 at some point the future (distant maybe??? Lol) it always comes back. And if renting. People always need a place to live.

  • Rental Property Investor · Allentown PA, United States · Member since 2016 · 567 posts · 442 votes
    5y

    @Misael Carlos Vera never take advice from someone you wouldn’t trade places with

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.