Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 100 posts · 93 votes
Hey everyone!
I'm a very new investor who will be closing on his first property on March 26. For the past 6 months I've been really working to get this deal done and can finally see the finish line.
However, sometimes I lose motivation whenever someone says something negative about real estate. Especially, when they come from someone who has owned real estate.
I just wanted to know what do you guys do to keep your spirits up.
Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
5y
Gotta cut those people out. They don't know what they're talking about.
If they're friends or family, stop talking to them about money and investments. Get yourself around people who have invested in real estate. You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with.
Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
5y
Gotta cut those people out. They don't know what they're talking about.
If they're friends or family, stop talking to them about money and investments. Get yourself around people who have invested in real estate. You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with.
Rental Property Investor · Haverhill, MA · Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 10 votes
5y
@Misael Carlos Vera
I agree. Cut them out. I lost motivation because I lacked information and was told I couldn’t afford to get into RE due to student loans. Got my first 3 family in 2019, and then lost motivation again because I was told “you can only buy one and that’s it”. What a lie!
I’m hustling now and getting all the data I can to buy my second investment. Bought my first for 375k and now it’s worth 500k in less than 2 years (I know we might see a burst but it’ll hardly go as bad as ‘08) I must do it keep going.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
5y
Surround yourself by positive people, but ones with actual experience and success. You don't want nay-sayers in your life, but you also don't want dreamers that never get anything done.
I agree with everyone else. You’re going to need to cut those people out. Negative people don’t have a place in the life of those who want to run successful companies/investments. I know it sounds cheesy, but every morning when I’m driving to work I listen to motivational videos. For me, all of that positivity rubs off. In addition, you have to have a why. That’s really going to be what drives you when you feel down.
Rental Property Investor · OH · Member since 2019 · 51 posts · 52 votes
5y
Real estate is proven to work. Millions of people have had success. Those who haven’t tried it don’t know the power of it or think it’s too much of a hassle. For those who have tried it and talk down about it, they most likely failed due to not running it like a business or bought bad deals that burnt them out. If you buy right and always run it like a business you will succeed.
Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
5y
"People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity, no matter how impressive their other talents."
-- Andrew Carnegie
“I'm a pessimist because of intelligence, but an optimist because of will.”
Antonio Gramsci
@Nathan Gesner has the balance right. You want generally positive people around you. But far too many positivity types are really just blowing self-help smoke. I despise people who say, "ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE." OK. Bring back the 500,000 Americans who have died of COVID-19. Tomorrow. You can do it if you really believe! That kind of BS turns my stomach. A closely related saying is, "Whether you believe that you can do something or believe you can't do it, you're right." God, what an idiot thing to say. "I believe I can snap my fingers right now and the world will be as if 9/11 never happened." Brain-dead excuses for human beings.
On the other hand, the world is bursting at the seams with people who will grasp at any excuse not to do anything. You have to learn to spot their dead-end reasoning and avoid them.
What you want are capable people around you with useful knowledge and abilities.
Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5y
Motivation is for RE seminars, very overrated. It comes and goes, but people who make it in real estate have discipline. We do what needs done even when we don’t want to.
Rental Property Investor · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y
@Misael Carlos Vera
Keep your head down and move forward. Let your actions speak, not your words. After your 3rd investment your friends will ask you for advice and wonder how you did it all.
Remember those who tell others they can’t do it, can’t see themselves doing that. They’re just projecting their insecurities on to you.
I don't do motivation. I do investment only if it makes sense. It's sometimes true that real estate has some negative as well but thus I open to any type of investment, for me, it's just about managing the risks.
@Misael Carlos Vera if it was easy everyone would do it. The hustle is half the fun looking back. Diversifying and having money/equity in real estate isn’t a breeze but it’s worth it. Best of luck my friend!
Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 265 posts · 305 votes
5y
@Misael Carlos Vera
Real estate investing is a process like many other ventures. You have to learn to enjoy the process to some degree. A strong “why” combined with continued education and networking with the right group of people will help grow your knowledge & motivation to get involved. Then from there, it takes discipline and persistence to build those results you are looking for.
Insurance Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2019 · 158 posts · 80 votes
5y
@Misael Carlos Vera
Continue to build your knowledge. Everytime I read a book or learn something new it builds momentum.
You have to remember that most of the things people will post about are the negatives. An investor with 10 homes doesn't start a post about the 9 that are doing great and having no issues, they post about the one with a deadbeat tenant. And most of the time they are making money on that one too.
Investor · San Francisco · Member since 2020 · 39 posts · 28 votes
5y
@Misael Carlos Vera
I never had this issue because I had done a lot of research on REI and trusted myself. There are a lot of strategies to build wealth and for many people, it doesn't include real estate. They can't stomach the idea of being a landlord. It's not right or wrong, it's just not for them. Surround yourself with people who get it.
Investor · Lake Worth, FL · Member since 2016 · 233 posts · 140 votes
5y
@Misael Carlos Vera Motivation naturally waxes and wanes over time so let it build good habits for you which will pull you through the unmotivated times.
Investor · Gainesville, VA · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 24 votes
5y
@Misael Carlos Vera everyone here has put in some good advice. Most importantly, REI is a numbers game, not a motivation game. Psychologically, we can all loose the drive by negativity but if the numbers work, who cares. You have to teach yourself to not hear what people are saying but listen to what they are saying and pay attention to who is saying it. If you want to do something, you listen to the people who have been there and done that. If you want to become a movie actor, go talk to an actor- not me! If you want to be a Green Beret, come talk to me.
BLUF- millions of other people have done it before you, why can’t you? Don’t let yourself become victimized by yourself. It’s not their fault they make you loose motivation, they can’t dictate your feelings or actions, only you can do that. Keep the course
Investor · IL · Member since 2019 · 151 posts · 135 votes
5y
My take is a little different than most of these because of my farm background. All of my life has been built around a routine. Every day something has to be done as far as my small investments are concerned, even if things are not going well the work still has to be done. I have seen several farm boys, just plodding along become wealthy because they do what needs to be done every day, no matter what other people might say. No matter the weather, or the poor markets, or breakdowns, or any other many different kinds of set backs. Their motivation is simply "this is what I have to do."
Positive attitude is necessary and that comes from education which gives confidence in your decisions. The discipline to keep moving is just as important, and for me discipline comes from the routine.
Realtor · Lyndhurst, NJ · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 3 votes
5y
Hi Misael, I am not an investor and I am new in real estate but I think your question comes more from a personal level than a business level. They say that negativity is always around us and is always trying to beat us down. It’s up to us knowing what we really want, knowing why we do what we do and take the decision to moving forward and don’t let the negativity affects us. They say that we can have excuses and we can have results but we can’t have both. In your case the negativity around you is an excuse. I hope the helped, feel free to reach out anytime, I apologize for some English grammar mistakes but I hope you understood what I was trying to say. Good luck!
Investor · Morrison, CO · Member since 2015 · 221 posts · 177 votes
5y
For how fast people are replying to this, you have really hit a nerve and an interest of people, including myself. I was just talking about this yesterday when a deal I was working on fell through. I immediately mentioned that my headspace was great - I didn't feel defeated and I didn't feel upset. I actually felt more energized and motivated more than ever! I can't say exactly what brings this on, except that I know that I surround myself with good people, my family backs me up, and I have the confidence and knowledge to continue forward successfully.
Get negativity out of your life. I have a neighborhood of now past friends who I had a REALLY great time with many years ago. I realized there was a time and a point that they no longer served a good purpose in my life. They didn't care what I did, they didn't care how successful I was becoming, and they only wanted to talk about their dead end jobs, beer, or sports. They never cared about each other and how to grow and become better.
I think you did the right thing and look for motivation and people to stand around you. I think this group will. Keep up the focus and good work on getting a deal done. Action will prevail and you'll end up with something great. Sometimes it just takes a bit longer and don't let anything get you down. You can do it! You will succeed. Good luck!