Cost to Build New - Seeking Ballpark Numbers for Analysis

Cost to Build New - Seeking Ballpark Numbers for Analysis

Investor · Everywhere, USA · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 19 votes

Hey guys!

I'm moving to the Sacramento area in a few months and am just trying to figure out exactly what I want to do. I'm thinking about building new. Are there any general contractors or others that have recently built that could ballpark the cost to build per square foot for me?? I'd just want to know WITHOUT the cost of the land included. I know every job is gonna be different, but ballpark numbers would be helpful. 

I'm thinking to build a duplex if it makes sense and I'm looking mainly in the Amador county area. But I'm sure the cost to build doesn't vary too much from county to county (as opposed to cost of land). 

Lemme know. Thanks!

0Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Gordon CuffePro Member
Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 583 votes
9y

An investor that asked me to look for vacant lots for me said his contractor would charge him a $100.0 per sq foot to build in sacramento. 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Gordon CuffePro Member
    Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 583 votes
    9y

    An investor that asked me to look for vacant lots for me said his contractor would charge him a $100.0 per sq foot to build in sacramento. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 126 posts · 74 votes
    9y

    Don't forget about the permitting process, which can be quite expensive out here.  School and Fire fees can be high, In el dorado hills I remember reading that permits and fees total around the 70k range, but there are other areas of Sacramento that can get down to 40k-ish per unit.    

    I would love to meet a contractor that can build for 100$/ft.  I would say 150-200$/ft is more typical, but those numbers may already include the permitting process.

  • Investor · Everywhere, USA · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 19 votes
    9y

    Good to know. Thanks for the responses! @Gordon Cuffe do you happen to know who your investor was using as a contractor? 

  • Investor · Pacifica, CA · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    @Tobias Falzone  Hi Tobias... jumping in this thread. Do you have any insight into permits converting a single family home into a duplex. We recently found out our property is zoned for a duplex and we're hoping to break ground in Sac!  We're in the Natomas area.

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 126 posts · 74 votes
    9y

    I don't have any detailed insights on splitting a house to a duplex,  but if the zoning allows for a duplex, you won't have to worry about a zoning exception.  I would suggest contacting the planning department to see what additional fees will be incurred for creating a new unit.  

  • Investor · Pacifica, CA · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    @Tobias Falzone - Thanks Tobias. We're in a flood zone and I have emails out to the city, but I think the permits are going to be in the $25k - $30k range.

    @Gordon Cuffe - Do you have the contact info of the contractor that's estimating about $100 / square foot? That's an amazing rate!

    Thanks guys!

  • Developer · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 464 posts · 143 votes
    8y

    @Justin Koopmans i have some ground up construction i'm working on now. would love to give you more info. PM me.

  • Contractor · Fremont, CA · Member since 2018 · 50 posts · 17 votes
    8y

    I'm a GC and built a 3500 square ft home in Elk Grove  couple years ago at $130 sq.ft. That is construction only..

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    We are currently in the process of converting a single family home into a "secondary unit", (versus a duplex) in San Jose. We qualified with the necessary conditions but have to meet multiple code issues because our property was originally built in 1904! There has been upgrades to the house but were not properly permitted. The cost for the permits to do the "secondary unit" was over $8,000 which included a "Parks Fee". Bottom line is that we were told that this part of California is mandated to be more lenient with landlords who are trying to provide more affordable housing. Hopefully, we should be able to change the status of this property legally!

    Dave

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    I just finished my brand new 2400 sq ft, 4/3 house, San Jose CA, built from ground up. The price is not included the existing land.

    ~$450k

    Soil engineer $5k

    Structure Engineer 10k

    Architecture $20k

    Planning department $5k

    School Fee $6k

    Permit Fee $7k

    Extra time for inspection 2K

    Foundation/Framing $140k 

    Electrical $20k

    Plumbing $15k

    Stucco $25k

    Roof $15k

    Insulation and sheet rock $25

    Paint $8k

    Flooring $10k

    AC/Heat Cental Air $25k

    General contractor for bathroom/kitchen/crown molding/ trace ceiling/led lights/cosmetic and custom design $40k

    Custom milguard windows/sliding door/doors/title hardwood floor/cabinet/quart/ all the finished material $50

    Land scape and clean up $15k

    The price above I hired each contractors to do each Job because they are specialized in their job. So technically I am the main contractors for my house. Took me a little bit longer to build my house, because I vest each contractors careful ly before I hire them. They are a little bit expensive but I know for sure I will pass inspection everytime. If not then I will deduct $100/day if doesn't fix. Don't worry about the taking project on your own because the inspector will be on your side making sure the contractors doing their jobs, that's why you paid them to inspect your house. My house was first time go for every step until the HERTZ test take like a month to schedule an appointment and the contractor mess up because he doesn't have the right calibration but it was a quick fix the inspector overlooked it and ask me to fix it and correct the numbers on the report.

    Start to finished 13months!

  • San Jose · Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Hi Kyle, this is great information.  Thank you.  

    I am beginning to start the prep work and this is very helpful information.  I don't think it will much of a difference in Campbell, CA.

    Thanks again

  • San Jose · Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Hi Kyle, I assume $450k includes both time and material or just contractor's time?  Thanks

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.