Single Family with low GRM in West Oakland?

Single Family with low GRM in West Oakland?

Fremont, CA · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 9 votes

To introduce myself, I am a valley engineer who is tired of working on software and wants to put his money to work. Towards this end, a few weeks ago, I started looking at investments in the bay area. Since this is my first investment and I have no experience in screening tenants, maintenance etc., and I really want an investment, not a second job. :-)  

Looking at SFRs in West Oakland area, the GRMs I am able to calculate are around 5.6% (e.g. gross annual rent of 36,000 on a purchase price of 657,000). My reasoning behind the SFR was:

a. SFRs in that part of the city are a limited commodity, where as a lot of condos can be built vertically and compactly.  

b. No rent control on SFRs.

c. Can do OMI eviction on SFR (though I hope it never comes to that).

d. Rents will be so high that it will make sense for a renter to buy their own in a few years. 

e. Really no other place for people in love with SF to go to. 

The rents just about cover the mortgage and taxes. This means I will only have internal returns for a while, and Ill have to rely on appreciation for the investment to make any sense. Am I missing some crucial piece of information here?

One question I have is, how close to BART is close? Is an SFR about a mile away from BART close enough?

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

J. MartinPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y

@Sudeep Jain,
"The rents just about cover the mortgage and taxes. This means I will only have internal returns for a while, and Ill have to rely on appreciation for the investment to make any sense. Am I missing some crucial piece of information here?"

@Andrew Muff,
"The condo we have just appraised for slightly less than your target for the SFR and as that neighborhood improves we expect the appreciation we've experienced to continue."

Hard to decide which signs are the best indicators of the beginning of the end of this cycle: the data, or the speculation and optimism! (it's different this time! ;) @Account Closed - which do you think? hehe 

Andrew, you expect condo appreciation since 2012 in West Oakland to continue? 
Sudeep, we are in the late phase of an expansionary cycle, and appreciation rates are slowing. In addition, West Oakland has some of the more volatile prices in the SF Bay Area, which is why I bought a duplex up by Andrew's place in 2014 for $300K. You will be negative cash flow on your SFR as it sits after paying for maintenance, even more negative cash flow if the significantly increased rents in West Oakland soften, and are buying at a time of the economic cycle that tends to produce the least large appreciation gains, based on history.

The best appreciation gains tend to come after the unemployment rate hits a peak, and the economy starts to improve. They tend to be lower or negative after the unemployment rate hits a low. Look at which years in history have the same jobs characteristics as today and ask yourself if you would have also liked to buy in those years. If your answer is you're a baller tech employee who can afford whatever monthly shortfall, and are holding for 20 years and you don't care, then go for it..

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2014 · 730 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    "I'll have to rely on appreciation for the investment to make any sense" is a recipe for disaster, my friend. We are quite possibly at the top of the market, so relying on appreciation, especially in an area like West Oakland which has seen values double over the last 5 years, is extremely risky and irresponsible. 

    There are plenty of multi family properties that will provide cash flow in West Oakland that will give you a return on Day 1, or perhaps with a value add component to give you double digit CoC returns.

    Keep looking. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    Hey Sudeep. Welcome to RE Investing. I've owned a condo in what I think is the exact neighborhood you described since 2012. It's on the Target end of Mandela Parkway and my wife and I lived there for 3 years before moving to the Oakland Hills. It's just over a mile from the W Oakland BART station and I can say from experience that it's close enough to walk if you have no other choice, but a mile is too far to do every day for your commute. My wife just weighed in on this and said a 10 mins walk (about a 1/2 mi) is acceptable. That said, if someone was less lazy than I am, a mile is an easy bike commute and there is plenty of secured bike parking at BART.

    Other than that I think you have your bases covered. The condo we have just appraised for slightly less than your target for the SFR and as that neighborhood improves we expect the appreciation we've experienced to continue. It was a VERY rough neighborhood when we originally purchased, but now most of the homeless are gone, they knocked down the abandoned warehouse they were living in, and some of the recycling centers are closing up and leaving. There is a lot of new construction going on there and in another 1-2 years it will be a completely redeveloped area close to BART and freeways.

    I say you'll do just fine on that purchase although I can't imagine that rents can continue to climb. But then I've been saying that and have been wrong for years as well.

    I could go on about tenant selection as well, but I think that is enough for one post. Best of luck!

  • Fremont, CA · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 9 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    "I'll have to rely on appreciation for the investment to make any sense" is a recipe for disaster, my friend. We are quite possibly at the top of the market, so relying on appreciation, especially in an area like West Oakland which has seen values double over the last 5 years, is extremely risky and irresponsible. 

    There are plenty of multi family properties that will provide cash flow in West Oakland that will give you a return on Day 1, or perhaps with a value add component to give you double digit CoC returns.

    Keep looking. 

    Thanks a lot for responding Sajal ! Can you give some examples of such properties? The only downside I can see of multiplexes though is increasingly draconian tenants rights. 

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Sudeep Jain,
    "The rents just about cover the mortgage and taxes. This means I will only have internal returns for a while, and Ill have to rely on appreciation for the investment to make any sense. Am I missing some crucial piece of information here?"

    @Andrew Muff,
    "The condo we have just appraised for slightly less than your target for the SFR and as that neighborhood improves we expect the appreciation we've experienced to continue."

    Hard to decide which signs are the best indicators of the beginning of the end of this cycle: the data, or the speculation and optimism! (it's different this time! ;) @Account Closed - which do you think? hehe 

    Andrew, you expect condo appreciation since 2012 in West Oakland to continue? 
    Sudeep, we are in the late phase of an expansionary cycle, and appreciation rates are slowing. In addition, West Oakland has some of the more volatile prices in the SF Bay Area, which is why I bought a duplex up by Andrew's place in 2014 for $300K. You will be negative cash flow on your SFR as it sits after paying for maintenance, even more negative cash flow if the significantly increased rents in West Oakland soften, and are buying at a time of the economic cycle that tends to produce the least large appreciation gains, based on history.

    The best appreciation gains tend to come after the unemployment rate hits a peak, and the economy starts to improve. They tend to be lower or negative after the unemployment rate hits a low. Look at which years in history have the same jobs characteristics as today and ask yourself if you would have also liked to buy in those years. If your answer is you're a baller tech employee who can afford whatever monthly shortfall, and are holding for 20 years and you don't care, then go for it..

  • Fremont, CA · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 9 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Andrew Muff:

    Hey Sudeep. Welcome to RE Investing. I've owned a condo in what I think is the exact neighborhood you described since 2012. It's on the Target end of Mandela Parkway and my wife and I lived there for 3 years before moving to the Oakland Hills. It's just over a mile from the W Oakland BART station and I can say from experience that it's close enough to walk if you have no other choice, but a mile is too far to do every day for your commute. My wife just weighed in on this and said a 10 mins walk (about a 1/2 mi) is acceptable. That said, if someone was less lazy than I am, a mile is an easy bike commute and there is plenty of secured bike parking at BART.

    Other than that I think you have your bases covered. The condo we have just appraised for slightly less than your target for the SFR and as that neighborhood improves we expect the appreciation we've experienced to continue. It was a VERY rough neighborhood when we originally purchased, but now most of the homeless are gone, they knocked down the abandoned warehouse they were living in, and some of the recycling centers are closing up and leaving. There is a lot of new construction going on there and in another 1-2 years it will be a completely redeveloped area close to BART and freeways.

    I say you'll do just fine on that purchase although I can't imagine that rents can continue to climb. But then I've been saying that and have been wrong for years as well.

    I could go on about tenant selection as well, but I think that is enough for one post. Best of luck!

     Thanks a lot Andrew! There will presumably be a walk at the other end of the commute as well.. The 1/2 mile limit seems reasonable. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Napa, CA · Member since 2016 · 68 posts · 57 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed I'm interested in investing/living in Oakland but based on my research (similar to what you describe above), it seems we are at or near the top of an appreciation cycle. How would you recommenced a new investor to get active in a climate like this? Be patient and sit on the sidelines for a while? Out of area/state until the dust settles in the Bay Area?

  • Fremont, CA · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 9 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @J. Martin:

    @Sudeep Jain,
    "The rents just about cover the mortgage and taxes. This means I will only have internal returns for a while, and Ill have to rely on appreciation for the investment to make any sense. Am I missing some crucial piece of information here?"

    @Andrew Muff,
    "The condo we have just appraised for slightly less than your target for the SFR and as that neighborhood improves we expect the appreciation we've experienced to continue."

    Hard to decide which signs are the best indicators of the beginning of the end of this cycle: the data, or the speculation and optimism! (it's different this time! ;) @Account Closed - which do you think? hehe 

    Andrew, you expect condo appreciation since 2012 in West Oakland to continue? 
    Sudeep, we are in the late phase of an expansionary cycle, and appreciation rates are slowing. In addition, West Oakland has some of the more volatile prices in the SF Bay Area, which is why I bought a duplex up by Andrew's place in 2014 for $300K. You will be negative cash flow on your SFR as it sits after paying for maintenance, even more negative cash flow if the significantly increased rents in West Oakland soften, and are buying at a time of the economic cycle that tends to produce the least large appreciation gains, based on history.

    The best appreciation gains tend to come after the unemployment rate hits a peak, and the economy starts to improve. They tend to be lower or negative after the unemployment rate hits a low. Look at which years in history have the same jobs characteristics as today and ask yourself if you would have also liked to buy in those years. If your answer is you're a baller tech employee who can afford whatever monthly shortfall, and are holding for 20 years and you don't care, then go for it..

    Those are some 'cold light of day' charts :-) What am I thinking! Unemployment cant go any lower, Fed's interest rate trajectory is upwards, investors in the big boys of tech are soon going to be/are already in a 'show me' mode compared to a 'tell me' mode. Those are the realities going against buying in W. Oakland.  

    So I guess the decision depends on answers to the following questions:

    a. Does West Oakland have something unique that can't be had elsewhere?   

    b. How long does this cycle continue and is the next downturn going to be a normal, one or two quarter, fed induced slow down? Or a serious balance sheet recession with forced liquidation of assets?  

    c. Are the 'holders' in Oakland strong hands? who wont sell until they get their asking price? Or hard money/ARM buyers with poor quality mortgages who will have to go through foreclosures?

  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    @Tim McGarvey I haven't checked the MLS recently, but I just literally closed yesterday on a duplex in East Oakland. Purchased at $630k. Projecting to cashflow $2200 net after ins, taxes, and mortgage. The owners delivered it empty as they are moving to New Orleans so no past tenant issues. The deals are out there still.

    @J. Martin I get what you are saying about the market conditions. My comments are more focused on that specific 10 blocks of W Oakland where I used to live. Given a flat market (i.e. All other factors being equal) that neighborhood will appreciate relative to the rest of the market because of the dramatically improving conditions on the ground. It used to be a place where people routinely dumped their trash on the streets. If you drive through there today, there are massive construction projects going on everywhere. Two years ago we had prospective tenants call to cancel their screening apointments after driving through the neighborhood. Now it's becoming a hipster destination for ex-SF transplants. If I keep finding good cash flowing deals, I'll continue to buy in the face of softening market conditions.

    That said, you are correct. I would never buy a negative cash flowing investment. 

  • Investor / Vendor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 949 votes
    9y

    @Sudeep Jain

    We are really late in the cycle and this is your first deal so please be extra cautious.  I know other people are still finding deals as there are deals in any part of the cycle if you work hard enough, get lucky and no where to look but losing money on your first deal would be a really really big delay on your journey into real estate.

    Being negative cash flow and banking on appreciation late in a real estate cycle is probably the worst thing you could do in terms of starting in real estate.

    Why not look into awesome cash flowing properties in the midwest? Hell, even a good turnkey company would better suit you than buying late in a market cycle.

    Have you listened to the podcasts? Or if you want a super quick education on cycles, realwealthnetwork has some high level posts by Kathy that are pretty solid.

    Really love J. Martin's sexy info from FRED :)

  • Fremont, CA · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    Thank you very much Ray! I think you guys might have saved me from a bad deal! :-)

  • Investor / Vendor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 949 votes
    9y

    @Sudeep Jain

    Our pleasure to help. This is why BP is great. Don't give up though just because you can't invest in your own local market. You can attend your local REIAs and network with other successful real estate investors.

    Also here's a fun thing, it's OK to rent sometimes! I have a good friend that is a self-made millionaire and owns tons of properties but he's currently renting in SoCal? Why would someone rent when they are wealthy? Because he's patient and knows if he waits a bit he can get a much better deal later. Also, renting is nice too because of how much flexibility it gives you compared to owning. Always gotta think of exit strategies.

    Hell, even the great Grant Cardone was renting when the time was right when he owns millions in real estate. 

    So I'll give you a personal example that might help a bit. I had some cash on the sidelines and was tired of waiting for the correction in SoCal as we're late cycle as well; no one knows the absolute exact top. What did I do? I networked, built a team, and bought my first out of state property that gives me great cash flow in the rust belt. The property was listed at $49k and was an estate sale. I negotiated down to 42k, did some minor repairs and it now rents for $950 a month. It's a 3/1 in a B-/C+ area. I could've paid cash but I got an investment mortgage. Why?????? Leverage boosts my returns. My mortgage on that thing is $231 a month and the income on that after all expenses (CapEx, maintenance, reserves, property manager, taxes, city fees like sewer, etc.) is around $423 a month. I know some other new investors would think oh wow $950 - $231 = profit but there are *TONS* of other expenses that people forget to factor in that I listed.

    Hope this helps you. If you used the correct numbers, you would be shocked how much you'd actually be bleeding if you bought the place that you mentioned in your OP.

  • Fremont, CA · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    Hi Ray, Thanks for all the great tips! I am continuing to research more about the area, check out open houses etc. and was surprised to find out that a few murders happened recently, a couple of blocks from a house I was really interested in. Perhaps this is just.. Oakland.. and not a cause for concern? 

    apropos investment choices, here is my take on it. The stock market is at a CAPE of nearly 30, and all of Martin's charts apply to that as well. Staying in cash is also a choice..  Going out of bay area is also a choice, but then those areas tend to be hit more than the Bay area by macro events/recessions etc. So far I have looked at Stockton and Sacramento, which to my naive eyes appeared as expensive/cheap as the bay area. 

    This being my first investment,  and I dont have any connections with contractors, I did not want to overextend myself and go for fixers. 

  • Sergey TkachevPro Member
    Investor, Agent, CPA · West Sacramento, CA · Member since 2009 · 690 posts · 262 votes
    9y

    @Sudeep Jain - nothing new I can say but just support what some of the other BP'ers have said.  Yes, deals are definitely out there but in the current market, it is much tougher for a new investor to find them and very easy to end up with a bad "deal".  That's the main reason everyone is cautioning you.  

    I would say just be careful of jumping into a deal without doing a proper analysis using actual and real numbers, not imaginary "what could be" numbers.  In this market this is especially dangerous because good deals are hard to come by and you want to "make" the deal look good - so keep emotions out and analyze what your goals are and abilities are.  

    If you want cashflow and can't find anything in the bay, it might make sense to also start researching other cities or even out of state markets.  Sometime it is worth taking a little more time to find the right deal than jump into a bad one prematurely.  Wish you much success in your search, you are already on the right track :)

  • Fremont, CA · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    Thanks Sergey! I visited a few Oakland open houses this weekend and for sure, the deals are out there.. Especially if one can do some OMI evictions and get to market rents. Unfortunately, that phase of my life when I could take such a task on is gone but I am sure enterprising young bp members can make it happen. Hundreds of thousands of dollars on the table if you can.. For a couple of years worth of disruption in your life. :-) 

    One interesting thing I saw in Oakland was unpermitted duplex conversions of old Victorians. Basically, an unpermitted apartment has been created under the permitted space, within the footprint of the old house. Unpermitted is unpermitted, and a huge liability if one were to rent it, but a few of the places looked like they were up to code.. Is it possible to get a permit for such a unit after the fact? I supposed inspectors would want to peek behind the walls etc. Just how difficult is such a thing? Is it as simple as taking down the sheetrock at a few places for the inspection, fixing up any issues and putting it back up again? Or more difficult than that? Any interesting stories to share? :-)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.