Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2008 · 784 posts · 528 votes
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I wanted to make people aware of an issue I recently uncovered with the Facebook Group : Real Estate Investors | YellowBird Connect. I reached out to one of the admins and asked them what their policy was to post issues with some of the vendors referenced on the site. (I have had a bad experience with Oxlet Cabinet Warehouse.) Their response:
"This group was made to connect wholesalers and every one in the industry with people to do more business with. If we posted every time some one had a bad experience, our page would turn into a page of bad reviews. The point of this page is for everyone to network and do more business."
However, this "group" now has 4400 members, with countless newbies joining. You can even find Ron Legrand on the site and see what he is selling. The point of any informative site is to provide VALUE to the people reading the posts. If that means you have to post the BAD and the GOOD, so be it. No one wants to get scammed, or have items stolen, or feel as if you trusted someone only to be taken. Its a great feature on BP (no I was not paid to say so), to post what you know. Good, bad or otherwise.
In NE Florida, beware of what you see on the Real Estate Investors | YellowBird Connect facebook page.
Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 26 votes
5y
Thank you for the heads up Jack.
I could be wrong, but including the bad with the good could actually increase their trustworthiness and value as a network; it takes confidence to share both sides and know that the value provided will shine through like diamonds in the rough.
What I gather from their response to you is that they would rather have quantity over quality. :/
Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
5y
I found YellowBird through a CPA found on Bigger Pockets. Yes, proceed with caution. I had someone I found on YellowBird come to give me a quote- that took two weeks and then my calls weren't returned; found a fabulous insurance agent though. Used Oxley at recommendation of BP meetup group- also not super impressed, but many have great experiences and like them. YellowBird has led me to network with investors in the Jacksonville area I would not have met otherwise and BP has given me a wealth of knowledge. My point is proceed with caution no matter the source, only you will be able to determine if that person is worthy of your team. Let me know if you find a cabinet installer!
Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2008 · 784 posts · 528 votes
5y
@Charles Hafer You nailed it, they want the quantity over quality. Its too bad too because there will be predators on their site who will take advantage of the newbies. Happens every real estate cycle. But they will not share the bad with the good. Hence the disconnect.
@Renee Hunter I have used Oxley since 2006. I have had great experiences up till now. As I stated, you are only as good as your last job. Why would people use CONtractors that cause them pain? Real Estate is hard enough as it is, without having to babysit grown men that know when they do a piss poor job. I have others I can go to in the business. No worries. As far as insurance goes, get 2-3 quotes as most insurance in FL has doubled in the last year, with no natural disasters. Its weird as heck!
Realtor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2019 · 95 posts · 87 votes
5y
I completely agree with the responses. I am sorry you had a bad experience there. I am a part of that group as well. It looked to be a decent place for deals at first, but once I actually put numbers to what the reality truly is there are not many deals from those wholesalers. I do not waste my time anymore when new posts happen. But some of the information on there has been helpful so it is not all bad! I think we need a JAX investor meetup that is just made up of investors only. Just a thought if anyone is interested!
Alright well that sounds like a gameplan! After the holidays we can meet up for a drink or lunch and see what we can do to help each other out! I am looking forward to it!
Flipper/Rehabber · Philadelphia · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 3 votes
5y
I want to join the newly formed Jax REI group. At the present time I need to participate virtually. Looking forward to the opportunity to meet and network .
Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 26 votes
5y
I figured I'd mention here:
I'll be hosting Cashflow Game nights again starting next Monday the 18th (& the 25th this month) 7:00pm at the Southern Grounds Café in San Marco, if anyone would like to meet up as well. :]