What to do with vacant lots in Orlando Fla

What to do with vacant lots in Orlando Fla

Developer · OAKLAND, CA · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 10 votes

Hello BP,

I have two vacant lots that I inherited (4916 and 4924 W. Jackson Street in Orlando Fla, 32811) and would like to either sell or develop and would love advice on how to make use of this land.

The lots are around 26k sq ft all combined and unfortunately are landlocked so some type of easement would be needed. It's zoned as a multi-family, even though the area primarily consists of single families from research I've done. The area is around a C from what I recall but seems pretty quiet.

I am wondering if any investors/realtors in that area could advise about options. I would love to make a buy and hold work as it's been in the family for generations but also open to a sale. I have thought of the following scenarios so far:

1. tiny homes or prefab developed

2. renting the land to a potential investor (e.g., org for community garden)

3. selling the land (what are ideas for doing this... land doesn't seem to be first choice for what realtors want to sell)

I live in the Bay Area so have to keep this in mind as I explore options.

Thanks!!!

3Reply
66 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 5 votes
9y

I just built a spec home in nearby 32806 and sold it near the end of last year.

Would be more than happy to hop on a brief call with you.

I'll send you a pm with my contact info.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    I just built a spec home in nearby 32806 and sold it near the end of last year.

    Would be more than happy to hop on a brief call with you.

    I'll send you a pm with my contact info.

  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Carrie Maultsby-Lute I have a foundation that might be interested for affordable housing?

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2008 · 551 posts · 159 votes
    9y

    @Carrie Maultsby-Lute talk to your neighbors and find out if any would be interested in selling their lots or buying yours. 

  • Developer · OAKLAND, CA · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    thanks @Tonio Bianca I will reach out in a few. Would LOVE to hear about how that worked for you. I would be interested in this opportunity as well @Kim Meredith Hampton - supposedly the school districts in that area are great so would be wonderful for families. 

    I might do that @John Kent but I'm not in the area. I suppose I could get a realtor if we decide to sell. Hoping that I make use of it. Thanks all!

  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Carrie Maultsby-Lute you can contact Frankie Elliott at the Orlando Regional Board of Realtors

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2008 · 551 posts · 159 votes
    9y

    @Carrie Maultsby-Lute because you have land locked parcels you would want to see what you can make work with the neighboring land owners. If you aren't local send letters and make phone calls to the owners. 

  • Real Estate Professional · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 10 votes
    9y
    I would say build a tiny home but then again builders are charging ridiculous prices for these so called tiny homes. Unless you can find someone that can build it at a good price.
  • Developer · OAKLAND, CA · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    Agreed @Kevin Frett! Tiny homes can cost more than average size homes after customizations. I'll look into it as well. Do you know anything about zoning or if tiny homes are permitted?

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2010 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Maybe it would be cheaper to get a contractor to erect prefab homes?  You could put multiple units in.  I personally have started very preliminary research on Quonet Huts which would withstand the hurricanes that pass through.

    http://buildinghomesandliving.com/metal-buildings/these-quonset-inexpensive-kit-homes-start-at-less-than-8000/

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2010 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    also, you may want to check out the school ratings on the bottom of this page...  all level schools have scores that are less than 5 out of 10 where 10 is the best

    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/W-Jackson-St-Orlando-FL-32811/99686636_zpid/

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 80 posts · 39 votes
    9y

    To check schools why not go directly to the source the school board:

    This will be find my school link based on the address, https://www2.ocps.net/cms/one.aspx?pageId=101163

    Once you find the schools served for the Address here is the 2015-2016 (Last Year) School grades https://www2.ocps.net/UserFiles/Servers/Server_546...

    Zillow is delayed, never updated accurately. Use it sparingly and never use it for 100% due diligence when trying to comp or estimate rehab repairs.

    Have you contacted the City of Orlando for any types of plans to develop the infrastructure?

    Contacting Habitat for Humanity of Greater Orlando http://www.habitat-orlando.org/ could be another option

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.