Analyzing Neighborhoods in Chicago

Analyzing Neighborhoods in Chicago

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 62 posts · 27 votes

Any tips or resources for analyzing the different neighborhoods of Chicago?

The resources I’ve found put all of Chicago together, which obviously doesn’t paint the whole picture!

2Reply
71 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y

South of grand and north of grand are very different areas, then there is the part of humboldt that is east of park/west of western which is seeing high income millennial gentrification. Its going to be hard for general humboldt statistics to show this. Humboldt park is 3 very different neighborhoods. Love the area especially right along park and east of park.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 203 posts · 119 votes
    6y

    what type of investment are you looking at the moment? 

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 62 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Andy Nathan currently looking at multi-families in Humboldt Park.

    I’m also a new investor so I’d like to spend some free time doing some homework and research different neighborhoods and surrounding cities. All resources I’ve used clump Chicago together for any data.

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    What type of analysis are you looking for? I have clients buying all around. South, North, West, what do you want to know?

  • Mike B.Pro Member
    Developer · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 434 posts · 357 votes
    6y

    This site is a good resource. What do you want to know?

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Zak Marinko the data is all out there, but it isn't all free. The MLS has a ton of neighborhood specific data in relationship to sold prices and rented prices, so we realtors can pretty easily get to things like price to rent ratios, etc. Costar has a lot of data for larger buildings, and some agents like me pay for access so we get even more data to crunch. Humboldt is a decent place to look, although you are probably finding what everyone is which is that the western/less desirable part is where the cash flow is...

  • Sarita ScherpereelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 659 posts · 376 votes
    6y

    @Zak Marinko. I live on the border of Logan and Humboldt. What Are you trying to gain knowledge in?

  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    While I think analyzing the data is good, I would definitely recommend either walking,biking, or driving for dollars to explore the neighborhood. There's only so much looking at the numbers will tell you!

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 62 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Andy Nathan

    For humboldt park, looking for a multi family, ideally something with some value add opportunities.

    Also, I’ll connect with you in private messages to give some more info. Thanks for connecting!

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 62 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Evan Smeenge I am mainly looking for population/demographic data. Income and employment would be beneficial as well. Crime I'm not as worried about because finding data on specific neighborhoods is pretty easy.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 62 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Mike B. Mainly looking for percent change of population in Humboldt park. Also for income and employment rate statistics. Any knowledge on dominating industry in that area would be helpful as well.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    South of grand and north of grand are very different areas, then there is the part of humboldt that is east of park/west of western which is seeing high income millennial gentrification. Its going to be hard for general humboldt statistics to show this. Humboldt park is 3 very different neighborhoods. Love the area especially right along park and east of park.

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Zak Marinko - I think the best and easiest thing to do (if you have time) is to start walking the neighborhoods.  Are you trying to get population and employment rates for specific neighborhoods?  Would be interested if anyone has good data on that...

    The path of progress for Chicago is along the "L" at least in the neighborhoods you are looking in.  Have one of the awesome realtors above like @Henry Lazerow, @Sarita Scherpereel, or @John Warren take you on some tours they know all the neighbors and can definitely get you the information you are looking for.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Zak Marinko

    What resources are you currently using? Great question Zak, following this.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 62 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @John Warren thanks for the reply, I am definitely seeing that the western area works better by the numbers. I’ll get back to your private message as well to connect there

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 62 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Sarita Scherpereel

    Mainly looking for income, population change, and job/industry data. However, it seems like most people here support buying a good deal in the area, which has given me some confidence.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 62 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Aaron Zimmerman

    Totally agree! My partner drove through in the evening last week and had good things to say. I think it’s important to go at night... I plan on going sometime this week to drive around. Maybe park and walk around or read a book

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 62 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Henry Lazerow You're insight on the difference between the separate areas of Humboldt is very helpful, I appreciate that! From my property search and rental search, I noticed the higher prices east of humboldt park. That seems like the most desirable place to buy as of now, and it's true that any Humboldt statistics wouldn't tell the whole story. Thanks again

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 62 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Jonathan Klemm Totally agree, I plan to drive over in the evening sometime soon, and it would be even better to walk around (maybe not at night). Ideally, I'd like to find the population and employment rates for neighborhoods, but I couldn't find any. However, It seems like @Evan Smeenge may be a great resource for that.

    Going on a tour with any of those agents is a great idea as well, thanks. I'll stay in touch with them.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 62 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Shannon F. So far, have only used apartments.com and usa.com/rank . However, @Evan Smeenge is a great resource, I would perhaps get in touch with him!

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Zak Marinko the danger with stats is that they can tell just about any story you want. You are on the right track with the neighborhoods you are exploring. Contrary to popular opinion, Chicago is not losing population at a prodigious rate or losing jobs in the core neighborhoods. Most of the neighborhoods people look to house hack in are doing great. I would focus more on where you want to live, work and invest and find your deals there. You have to visit your properties after closing, so make sure they are in an area you like!

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 232 posts · 348 votes
    6y

    @Zak Marinko

    I think this may help you out:

    Income by neighborhood in Chicago (2018) with chart on the right showing income trend for Humboldt Park:

    Absolute population change by neighborhood in Chicago (2010 to 2018) with chart on the right showing population trend for Humboldt Park:



    Date used is from the American Community Survey (ACS). Neighborhood data is computed using a propitiatory imputation algorithm on ACS data since the ACS does not provide data tabulated by neighborhood.

    Hope this helps 

    - Art 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Louisville, KY · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Zak Marinko:

    Any tips or resources for analyzing the different neighborhoods of Chicago?

    The resources I’ve found put all of Chicago together, which obviously doesn’t paint the whole picture!

    Boots on the ground is the only way to really know a neighborhood. Neighborhoods are full of micro neighborhoods. 

    I have a house in East Roseland that is a great SFH street. I feel very safe as a white guy and contractors have left tools and materials out all the time with no issues.

    And it's not uncommon to hear gun shots from just 2.5 blocks away where the multis are. Very weird.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 62 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Art Perkitny

    Very helpful, thank you!! I’ll have to take a look on my computer

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 62 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Eric M.

    That’s great to know. I definitely know how different areas can be so close together, but that close is surprising!

    Always making sure to drive and walk around areas before committing. Maybe even at night after it passes the day test

  • Rental Property Investor · Elmwood Park IL · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Art Perkitny where did you get that data from?  I'd like to look at that kind of stuff if it is available.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.