Adding bedrooms in a Flip

Adding bedrooms in a Flip

Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 2 votes

Hi,

I’m currently doing a flip in Hudson FL. The house is a 3/2 with a pool and a indoor garage. I plan on transforming the garage into a 4th bedroom where I’m going to install a split AC. Will I need to register the 4th bedroom with the city and get permits to get it done??

0Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y

I've done this several times. Ryan nailed it. What you are describing is much easier said than done if you are planning to do it "legit"

Another bit of feedback I learned ~10 years ago on a flip where I did exactly this. I learned to never convert a garage into an additional bedroom again, unless I have room on the lot to build another garage. Buyers out here would much rather have a garage than an extra bedroom (unless you're selling to a short term rental buyer). Spend some time talking with agents about the buyer pool in your area. They too might rather have a garage.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · AZ · Member since 2022 · 215 posts · 185 votes
    3y

    Yes. Check your city's planning and development website to be sure, but I've never encountered a city that allows you to add livable square footage without a permit. A garage is not considered habitable space and does not meet requirements for sleeping quarters, so you will need to bring it up to code in terms of insulation, electrical, egress, fire, mechanical,  etc. The city will want to see plans and inspect all of that.

  • Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    I've done this several times. Ryan nailed it. What you are describing is much easier said than done if you are planning to do it "legit"

    Another bit of feedback I learned ~10 years ago on a flip where I did exactly this. I learned to never convert a garage into an additional bedroom again, unless I have room on the lot to build another garage. Buyers out here would much rather have a garage than an extra bedroom (unless you're selling to a short term rental buyer). Spend some time talking with agents about the buyer pool in your area. They too might rather have a garage.

  • Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    Thank you guys!! This is definitely great feedback. I will look more into it before starting the work.

  • Laveen, AZ · Member since 2016 · 584 posts · 528 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sacha St Lot:

    Hi,

    I’m currently doing a flip in Hudson FL. The house is a 3/2 with a pool and a indoor garage. I plan on transforming the garage into a 4th bedroom where I’m going to install a split AC. Will I need to register the 4th bedroom with the city and get permits to get it done??

    Tagging on  to what @Scott E.said, some cities even require you have covered parking in addition to tenants wanting covered parking in the sunbelt. I presume in your city, theres sun, wind, rain and hurricanes that make covered parking more desireable. These are the kinds of discoveries you'd make applying for the permit.  Also consider what slab height requirements the city requires for the floor of the bedroom. Your garage will be lower. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    @Rodney Sums Thank you that is a really helpful tip. I have decided to keep the garage as is after seeing those different comments.

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2022 · 352 posts · 219 votes
    3y

    Sacha, just adding to the previous comments as well. You got some fantastic feedback! 

    Another thing to consider, would making that garage a bedroom make the floor plan funky? I had an investor of mine do this and the property did not appraise as high due to the fact the bedroom was unfunctional. Having to walk through a living room and kitchen just to use the restroom, doesn't really make sense. Obviously, we do not know what the floor plan looks like in your property but your decision to keep the garage as is sounds like the best game plan. Another plus sense you do not have to pull permits so you are able to get out of the project sooner! 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    You definitely need permits to add a bedroom. Talk to your counties permitting center.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sacha St Lot:

    Hi,

    I’m currently doing a flip in Hudson FL. The house is a 3/2 with a pool and a indoor garage. I plan on transforming the garage into a 4th bedroom where I’m going to install a split AC. Will I need to register the 4th bedroom with the city and get permits to get it done??

     Why? You will get maybe 50- 100 more. It will cost 10kish to do this, Do the math ( thats all that matters) So it will take 10 years or so to get the extra cost back. , not a smart move.  Also, most I know I do, want a garage. You want the city now at your property " looking around" hmm no. 

    Again, NOT a smart move. 

    All the best to you 

  • Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    It's my first flip and I am also a foreigner. I was not sure about the legal aspect here. All the information was extremely helpful. I will keep the garage as is.

    Thank you for the answers

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sacha St Lot:

    It's my first flip and I am also a foreigner. I was not sure about the legal aspect here. All the information was extremely helpful. I will keep the garage as is.

    Thank you for the answers


     I have a colleague who's is a very active broker and investor in that area,, happy to connect you  

    Smart move, leaving it alone, It would have been a terrible idea 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.