Hello,
I have a property under an HML that I was gonna BRRRR instead I'm going to sell because I underestimated rehab, rents and loads of other mistakes I made. The property is still in distress and I put it on the market to sell. It's been 3 weeks and only 2 people have came to see it. I've already dropped the price once and I'm afraid I'm going to have to drop it again. I'll be lucky to pay off that HML, might end up having to pay the rest of my own pocket. This is a nightmare situation and I was wondering if anyone had tips/advice/suggestions on what to do. I'd appreciate any help, thanks!
you are not alone nor dumb, i read an American study that 40% of home flippers lose or only break even on their projects. please talk to an attorney with bankruptcy and real estate experience before filing as could have long term complications. Good Luck
@Jesse Rodriguez- Do you own the property in an LLC or other business entity? Sometimes you can file for bankruptcy for the entity and not have to file a personal bankruptcy. Cut the losses.
Double down and fix it nice to sell but don't over improve.
selling a headache will only give you a bigger headache that you'll need a aspirin the size of a hockey puck to overcome.
There are no shortcuts when you get into this situation that end well for you so put the work in and maybe you will make a buck?
@Jesse Rodriguez- Do you own the property in an LLC or other business entity? Sometimes you can file for bankruptcy for the entity and not have to file a personal bankruptcy. Cut the losses.
Hello. No the property is under my name.
Double down and fix it nice to sell but don't over improve.
selling a headache will only give you a bigger headache that you'll need a aspirin the size of a hockey puck to overcome.
There are no shortcuts when you get into this situation that end well for you so put the work in and maybe you will make a buck?
My concern is because it’s a triplex, I’m limited to sell to another investor. I thought about improving a little but my hard money lender guy said don’t even bother putting any money into it.
Double down and fix it nice to sell but don't over improve.
selling a headache will only give you a bigger headache that you'll need a aspirin the size of a hockey puck to overcome.
There are no shortcuts when you get into this situation that end well for you so put the work in and maybe you will make a buck?
My concern is because it’s a triplex, I’m limited to sell to another investor. I thought about improving a little but my hard money lender guy said don’t even bother putting any money into it.
Sounds like a hard money lender that wants to take a property from you when you default.
There's a lot of issues here starting with a guy that will loan you money and once it gets difficult wants you to abandon ship- red flag.
There are a lot of unknowns here but trying to dump it seems like a 100% guarantee to lose money.
@Nathan M kiefer I hope that’s not the case! I have a reasons why I want to sell anyways.
1. It won’t cash flow, I underestimated the rent.
2. I anticipate future problems with the property, there’s foundational and electrical problems with it. I underestimated the rehab and already over budget without even starting work.
3. I’ll end up paying money no matter what.
you are not alone nor dumb, i read an American study that 40% of home flippers lose or only break even on their projects. please talk to an attorney with bankruptcy and real estate experience before filing as could have long term complications. Good Luck
just to confirm - you haven't even started the rehab?
@Nicholas L. No, I have not.
Hello @Jesse Rodriguez, it's difficult to give more specific advice without more specific details. If it's listed on the MLS and it's not getting traction there are a number of reasons why that may happen but more often than not it's price.
It sounds like you listed it at a price that would satisfy your loan which means you're trying to sell it for more than you bought it. Assuming you paid exactly what it was worth the first time around, someone would have to overpay to take it off your hands and make you whole. While that certainly can happen, it may also take a while and during that time you're continuing to pay on that expensive loan.
What are the numbers on this deal? What's fair market rent? ARV? Cost to rehab to achieve that ARV?
@Jon K. Thanls for the response. Your right about the lost price. I bought at 225k off a wholesaler, I thought the arv would be 310-325k but it's more like 240-250k. My rehab budget is 50k but after getting bids, it'll more like 88k. Market rent would total $2500. I'd likely be negative cash flow as well. So now I'm trying to sell without putting any work just so I can pay off that HML.
Trusting your numbers, it sounds like the current value of the property is around 155k if not less. That's 250k minus 88, factoring in some closing costs. And that's not including any kind of margin. Most BRRRR investors will want to be all in for 75% to 80% of the ARV, flippers will want a similar or greater margin. Reality is seldom so absolute so all of those numbers are not necessarily perfect but that's likely the gist of it.
Some other things to consider: Is your scope of work appropriate for rental grade? Do you have to do everything you plan to do to get fair market rent? Compare what you planned to what other similar rentals have in the same area to make sure it's all necessary. Pay attention to what finishes they have.
As far as cash flow goes, it's subjective but $2,500/month meets the 1% rule for a property valued at 250k and is generally not bad. If you're 80% leveraged that's a 200k loan. At 7.5% your monthly payment is around $1,400 not including taxes or insurance. I have no idea what they are for your property so I used $2,500 and $600 respectively which takes it up to $1,650. Using 15% of gross rent to cover maintenance, capex and vacancies and you're left with $475. Again, I had to do some guesswork and rules of thumbs here but it may cash flow decently if you dig into the math.
So what can you do? Sell it for a substantial loss: maybe 80k? Or put the 88k in, refi out of the HML which requires you to come out of pocket quite a bit of money as well, and hold it long term which on paper may eventually make you whole. There's also the option of sweat equity if you don't have the capital to pay for the remodel: In other words, buy the materials and do the work yourself over time. The downside to this of course is that it will take a lot longer and you're still paying for the HML.
Is it listed with an agent/realtor? If so, what is their opinion of the current value?
It is very curious to me that the lender lent you so much on the property without doing any due diligence of their own. I don't believe that this is a lender that just wants you to default so that they can foreclose and take the property themselves because that doesn't make financial sense for them if the numbers I put at the beginning of this reply were anything close to accurate.
Trusting your numbers, it sounds like the current value of the property is around 155k if not less. That's 250k minus 88, factoring in some closing costs. And that's not including any kind of margin. Most BRRRR investors will want to be all in for 75% to 80% of the ARV, flippers will want a similar or greater margin. Reality is seldom so absolute so all of those numbers are not necessarily perfect but that's likely the gist of it.
Some other things to consider: Is your scope of work appropriate for rental grade? Do you have to do everything you plan to do to get fair market rent? Compare what you planned to what other similar rentals have in the same area to make sure it's all necessary. Pay attention to what finishes they have.
As far as cash flow goes, it's subjective but $2,500/month meets the 1% rule for a property valued at 250k and is generally not bad. If you're 80% leveraged that's a 200k loan. At 7.5% your monthly payment is around $1,400 not including taxes or insurance. I have no idea what they are for your property so I used $2,500 and $600 respectively which takes it up to $1,650. Using 15% of gross rent to cover maintenance, capex and vacancies and you're left with $475. Again, I had to do some guesswork and rules of thumbs here but it may cash flow decently if you dig into the math.
So what can you do? Sell it for a substantial loss: maybe 80k? Or put the 88k in, refi out of the HML which requires you to come out of pocket quite a bit of money as well, and hold it long term which on paper may eventually make you whole. There's also the option of sweat equity if you don't have the capital to pay for the remodel: In other words, buy the materials and do the work yourself over time. The downside to this of course is that it will take a lot longer and you're still paying for the HML.
Is it listed with an agent/realtor? If so, what is their opinion of the current value?
It is very curious to me that the lender lent you so much on the property without doing any due diligence of their own. I don't believe that this is a lender that just wants you to default so that they can foreclose and take the property themselves because that doesn't make financial sense for them if the numbers I put at the beginning of this reply were anything close to accurate.
@Jon K. Thanls for the response. Your right about the lost price. I bought at 225k off a wholesaler, I thought the arv would be 310-325k but it's more like 240-250k. My rehab budget is 50k but after getting bids, it'll more like 88k. Market rent would total $2500. I'd likely be negative cash flow as well. So now I'm trying to sell without putting any work just so I can pay off that HML.
Assume the triplex is not in LA, but $2,500 in rent seems very low. And you might be able to get the rehab cost down. Normally if a flip fails, you switch to hold and rent. Time cures everything, rents go up, property values go up. Did you buy it out of state?
You are not alone, we are here to help, but you have to give us more details about the deal.
Trusting your numbers, it sounds like the current value of the property is around 155k if not less. That's 250k minus 88, factoring in some closing costs. And that's not including any kind of margin. Most BRRRR investors will want to be all in for 75% to 80% of the ARV, flippers will want a similar or greater margin. Reality is seldom so absolute so all of those numbers are not necessarily perfect but that's likely the gist of it.
Some other things to consider: Is your scope of work appropriate for rental grade? Do you have to do everything you plan to do to get fair market rent? Compare what you planned to what other similar rentals have in the same area to make sure it's all necessary. Pay attention to what finishes they have.
As far as cash flow goes, it's subjective but $2,500/month meets the 1% rule for a property valued at 250k and is generally not bad. If you're 80% leveraged that's a 200k loan. At 7.5% your monthly payment is around $1,400 not including taxes or insurance. I have no idea what they are for your property so I used $2,500 and $600 respectively which takes it up to $1,650. Using 15% of gross rent to cover maintenance, capex and vacancies and you're left with $475. Again, I had to do some guesswork and rules of thumbs here but it may cash flow decently if you dig into the math.
So what can you do? Sell it for a substantial loss: maybe 80k? Or put the 88k in, refi out of the HML which requires you to come out of pocket quite a bit of money as well, and hold it long term which on paper may eventually make you whole. There's also the option of sweat equity if you don't have the capital to pay for the remodel: In other words, buy the materials and do the work yourself over time. The downside to this of course is that it will take a lot longer and you're still paying for the HML.
Is it listed with an agent/realtor? If so, what is their opinion of the current value?
It is very curious to me that the lender lent you so much on the property without doing any due diligence of their own. I don't believe that this is a lender that just wants you to default so that they can foreclose and take the property themselves because that doesn't make financial sense for them if the numbers I put at the beginning of this reply were anything close to accurate.
This is an educated and thought out response.
Double down and fix it nice to sell but don't over improve.
selling a headache will only give you a bigger headache that you'll need a aspirin the size of a hockey puck to overcome.
There are no shortcuts when you get into this situation that end well for you so put the work in and maybe you will make a buck?
My concern is because it’s a triplex, I’m limited to sell to another investor. I thought about improving a little but my hard money lender guy said don’t even bother putting any money into it.
Your lender that financed this project told you not to put any money into it? I would not use this lender in the future. Make sure to work with a lender that does their due diligence before issuing you Terms. Now that you're in it, who are you using as your Agent? Are they investor focused? Do they also renovate properties? They should be your advocate to help come up with the correct exit strategy.
have you had an as is and arv appraisal done ? Do you have a scope of work for the remaining work to be done ?
@Jon K. Thanls for the response. Your right about the lost price. I bought at 225k off a wholesaler, I thought the arv would be 310-325k but it's more like 240-250k. My rehab budget is 50k but after getting bids, it'll more like 88k. Market rent would total $2500. I'd likely be negative cash flow as well. So now I'm trying to sell without putting any work just so I can pay off that HML.
@Jon K. Thanls for the response. Your right about the lost price. I bought at 225k off a wholesaler, I thought the arv would be 310-325k but it's more like 240-250k. My rehab budget is 50k but after getting bids, it'll more like 88k. Market rent would total $2500. I'd likely be negative cash flow as well. So now I'm trying to sell without putting any work just so I can pay off that HML.
Thank you for the insightful response, I think you’re 100% right. You pretty much laid out the exact situation, so I’m wondering if I should fix and hold or sell for a loss. The problem is that it’s listed for 239k and I don’t think it will sell. So I’m going to lose money either way, so I’m trying to figure out how to lose less.
have you had an as is and arv appraisal done ? Do you have a scope of work for the remaining work to be done ?
The ARV was done by the lender and it was 310-325k but my agent send me the comps which showed 240-250k. The property is now listed as 239k. I have the scope of work which totals around 80k, possibly more because I just found there is a water leak in the main line 😢
I was wondering if I can fix the other units (total work ~20k-25k) and sell with the last unit still distressed.
have you had an as is and arv appraisal done ? Do you have a scope of work for the remaining work to be done ?
The ARV was done by the lender and it was 310-325k but my agent send me the comps it was for 240-250k which now the property is listed as 239k. I have the scope of works which totals around 80k, possibly more because I just found there is a water leak in the main line 😢
how much do you owe on the hard money ?
@Bill J Fay Im definitely on board with you and will not use them anymore. I feel like I got scammed but also my fault for failing on the due diligence . The agent I’m using is an real estar investor agent. She is on BP and owns a PM company that renovates which is where I got my bids from.
@Nathan M kiefer Yup, that’s where I’m at. I’m trying to see which will lose me less money.
@Jon K. You’re totally right, these are things I didn’t do prior to purchasing. Now I understand the concept of you make money when you buy. I can’t do sweat equity, I don’t live in the same state and work full time. I listed with an agent who also runs the PM company, she sent me compa 240-250k. Not sure about this lender either, but I won’t use them again.
@Nathan M kiefer Yup, that’s where I’m at. I’m trying to see which will lose me less money.
fix and hold and lose a little for a while, while paying down debt, then refi out and keep the asset. theres no way i could take a bath like you are considering. I agree what others have said sweat equity it and do what you can hiring out only what you have to in order to take the shortest straightest line to cash flow coming in.
by the time you sell this thing you will have 2-3 more payments out the door as well.
its clear to me, they both hurt but the option to hold will recover...some day.
so you either set yourself back for a couple years losing and paying on a property you dont own or a little every month on one you do that will eventually have upside, unfortunately if i was in your position i would look in the mirror and say made your bed- lie in it.