Looking for contractors in the KC area

Looking for contractors in the KC area

Kansas City, MO · Member since 2019 · 36 posts · 9 votes

Hey all, I recently had a tenant leave and I'm looking to renovate the unit. Looking for contractor suggestions in the KC area. Also I plan to do some of the work myself. Any landlords have experience doing this and want to share how it turned out? I've renovated units before and do a lot of diy work on my personal property but I know diy can take longer leading to opportunity cost and I'm trying to figure out how much I want to do myself. Any areas I should avoid diy? I plan to redo bathroom, kitchen, refinish floors, paint, and maybe replace baseboards and trim. There's also a deck that needs rail work.

1Reply
30 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mackaylee BeachPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 492 votes
    1y

    Many landlords suggest prioritizing professional help for tasks like plumbing and electrical work, as these can be complex and require specific expertise. For the kitchen and bathroom, consider hiring a contractor for things like cabinetry and countertops, which can be quite labor-intensive and require precision.

    For painting, refinishing floors, and replacing baseboards and trim, DIY might be a great option if you’re comfortable with those tasks, as they can significantly cut costs. As for the deck, if it’s just rail work, that might be manageable as a DIY project, but if the structural integrity of the deck is in question, it might be worth consulting a professional.

  • Zachary DealPro Member
    Lender · Member since 2023 · 464 posts · 425 votes
    1y

    @Mackaylee Beach has some great suggestions regarding professional vs DIY projects. I think opportunity cost (especially during the summer) of having the property off the market longer is a big factor here. If hiring contractors/professionals is going to cost a few thousand more but mean the property will be back on the market a month or so faster, I think that would be the best route.

    Regarding contractor suggestions I'd recommend posting in the BP classified sections and looking/positing in KC area Facebook RE investor groups .

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2019 · 36 posts · 9 votes
    1y

    Thank you both!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.