Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Patrick M.
  • Investor
  • Chatham County, NC
Votes |
Any Difference in Tile Quality Between HD/Lowe's & Best Tile?

Patrick M.
  • Investor
  • Chatham County, NC
Posted Jan 14 2017, 17:04

Hey BPers- I've just purchased my first rental unit and I am updating two bathrooms, converting from old dated vinyl floors to tile. I have found a talented tile person who installs for $8 per sq ft. I suggested I would buy and bring an appropriate amount of $0.78 - $1/sq ft tile from Home Depot to the unit to install. She came back and suggested going to Best Tile. They have stuff online but no prices, which makes me suspicious that they are very expensive and she gets a kickback for me going there. 

1. Does anyone have experience with Best Tile?

2. Is there stuff significantly higher quality/more durable that HD/Lowe's?

3. Would you shop for a small job (less than 60 sq ft) with a simple pattern at one or the other?

All insights welcome.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Sam Shueh
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cupertino, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cupertino, CA
Replied Jan 14 2017, 17:16

"Curing temperature". Most will tell you a better material.  The one baked at higher temperature are more durable.  Quality consistency, dimensional variation..... Mexican vs Italian traveltine.

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Squires
  • Investor
  • Oxford, MI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Oxford, MI
Replied Jan 14 2017, 17:24

In my own personal experience it is not the tile that needs to be scrutinized at HD for quality vs price it is the mortar and grout etc. that price and/or quality need to be scrutinized.

It also should be noted that I have fired myself from tile work. I have a ton of skill but tile I have gladly resolved myself to just pay someone in the future.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
G Pyros
  • Investor
  • Anderson, SC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Anderson, SC
Replied Jan 14 2017, 23:13

Wow $8/sq foot? I remembered back in 2010 getting 2 bathrooms tiled for $150 in Florida!

Account Closed
  • Contractor
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jan 15 2017, 11:56

@Patrick M.    Best Tile is very expensive and I have not had good experience with them. For a bath floor in a rental, the tile at HD or Lowes is fine.  It's much more important that the installation be done properly for a lasting job. 

User Stats

Votes
Patrick M.
  • Investor
  • Chatham County, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chatham County, NC
Replied Jan 16 2017, 20:19

Thanks to all for the helpful responses. I think I'm going to follow @Account Closed's lead and stick with the tile I saw at HD today, which I happen to like!

Account Closed
  • Contractor
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jan 17 2017, 16:44
Originally posted by @Patrick M.:

Thanks to all for the helpful responses. I think I'm going to follow @Account Closed's lead and stick with the tile I saw at HD today, which I happen to like!

You can never go wrong following my lead...    :)