How-to refinish a tub? How Much?

How-to refinish a tub? How Much?

San Antonio, TX · Member since 2010 · 93 posts · 32 votes

We're almost done with our rehab on one of our houses and we decided to keep the existing tubs because the area doesn't warrant a complete redo of the baths.

The tubs are a little dark from years of use and we want to brighten them up.

Anyway, we found the epoxy kit Home Depot sells and we don't want to do it ourselves. How much have you paid a contractor to refinish a tub?

And how did it turn out?

0Reply
156 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 973 posts · 679 votes
16y

I think it's more likely that you don't have the same definition of diverter. A diverter is simply the spout that water fills a tub from. When you block it, it turns on the shower. The mixing valve and accompanying covers are generally the expensive part of the system. Even so, the whole setup shouldn't be that expensive, even with brushed nickel finishes.

Please don't tell me about my reputation, or substandard materials. Maybe it's time you priced out new contractors, or hired your own labor. Or, it's your business, you can run it however you see fit.

Royal Finish does our countertop resurfacing and bathtub resurfacing when we've done it. Tubs are 150ish and countertops are 100ish.

See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Back in 2002, when I bought our primary residence, I hired a contractor to refinish both bathroom enclosures. Instead of using epoxy, which I heard will yellow over time, he sprayed on a urethane coating. It's held up very well and it's bright white even after 8 years, although I do have a small chip in the tub now (probably related to my 3 year-old).

    However, the urethane contains some nasty solvents. You don't want to breathe the fumes while it cures. The contractor wore a positive air respirator while spraying and we spent that night in a hotel. By the next day, it should be fully cured and completely inert.

  • Member since 2009 · 499 posts · 117 votes
    16y

    a good cleaning will go a long way. Water deposits are sneaky dirt, clinging to good surface. I used a yucky old tub in a remodel and it looks as good as new today. The fiberglass tub they used to replace it now looks like a piece of crap.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    16y

    Randal, No Guts, No Glory! Try it in a small spot and see how it goes, you can always blend it in later as you gain confidence!

    I was going to do the same thing, but opted to replace the tub with a new jacuzzi tub (standard size) I picked up for $250.00! Now, I have to put in a new tub/shower walls. Got one of those inexpensive shower spas as well, painting would have been much cheaper! Good luck, Bill

  • Involved In Real Estate · Westminster, MD · Member since 2010 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    We have used a tub re-surfacing, or "re-glazing" company to redo our tubs and shower pans. They look brand new. Very rare that I would need to replace a tub now.

  • Real Estate Investor · MD · Member since 2010 · 124 posts · 84 votes
    16y

    Randall, we always reglaze the tub with a local professional company. Don't use depot kits, they peel right away, the prices vary a lot but we pay around $350-$450 per tub depending on whether or not it was done previously.

  • Wholesaler · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2009 · 286 posts · 255 votes
    16y

    $350-$450 for reglazing a tub? I can get a brand new tub installed, materials and labor for that price. Re-negotiate.

    My contractor has used the home depot epoxy kit a few times now, $80 materials and labor for a tub. Looks good enough, haven't had any done for long enough to determine durability.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lake Worth, FL · Member since 2009 · 263 posts · 92 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Andy Jones:
    $350-$450 for reglazing a tub? I can get a brand new tub installed, materials and labor for that price.


    This maybe if everything goes right. Tiles can get broken or chipped when replacing the tub with no matching replacements available. The amount of other things that can get damaged while removing the old tub is Huge. The tub may Not have been installed properly the first time and need to bring it up to code $

    Regarding the reglazing kits, they are highly toxic and a respirator should be used. Like when painting anything you have to get all the soap scum and other contaminants off the tub surface and this will require the most time. Make sure to buy the painters tape and prep the area thoroughly.

    The Biggest problem with the home kits is this type of reglazing is best done with spraying, Not rolling as the curves of the tub will cause the paint to form a run Very easily.

    If you look at it like an investor hiring a Pro is the answer for to many reasons.

  • Wholesaler · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2009 · 286 posts · 255 votes
    16y

    That $350 to $450 is when you're re-tiling the tub surround as well ($300 materials and labor for that). If you're not re-tiling around the tub then there is a risk of damaging tile of course. What I might recommend is to take out the bottom row of tile and put an "accent" row right on top of the tub once the new one's in place. I have yet to see a tub that wasn't installed to code but I don't doubt it's possible.

  • SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Andy Jones:
    $350-$450 for reglazing a tub? I can get a brand new tub installed, materials and labor for that price. Re-negotiate.

    That's amazing. A new tub for one of our homes will probably run well over $1,200. Does your guy do house calls in California? I'll pay his air fare.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Camden, NJ · Member since 2010 · 126 posts · 55 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Andy Jones:
    That $350 to $450 is when you're re-tiling the tub surround as well ($300 materials and labor for that). If you're not re-tiling around the tub then there is a risk of damaging tile of course. What I might recommend is to take out the bottom row of tile and put an "accent" row right on top of the tub once the new one's in place. I have yet to see a tub that wasn't installed to code but I don't doubt it's possible.


    had a tub "professionally" re-glazed in '08 for $400 and in '09 it like crap again...went to HD got a tob for $100 broke out tile about 18" high to get old tub out, did have to make an "accent" row completely around tub...tub replacement was about 3 hrs(me/helper), and tile,grout well you know....
  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2010 · 93 posts · 32 votes
    16y

    Thanks for all the advice. I like the idea of the accent row of tiles. We ended up leaving the old tub in and we're still on the market right now. Could definitely be a contributing factor why we haven't sold...that and the drastic decline in qualified buyers in the market.

    Anyway, thanks again

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Andy Jones:
    ... I have yet to see a tub that wasn't installed to code but I don't doubt it's possible.


    Had one in a flip a while back where it wasn't installed level; the drain opening somehow wasn't the lowest point in the tub. Solid cast iron, would've looked good re-surfaced. Instead, had to be sledged to pieces to haul it away. And then level things out for the new (steel) one.
  • Wholesaler · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2009 · 286 posts · 255 votes
    16y

    Mitch, I'm rehabbing median priced homes and lower. I'm not familiar with your market but if you're putting in free standing claw-foot tubs in mansions then we may be talking apples and oranges. I'm using off the shelf Home Depot slide in tubs, I think the tub itself is $120 or so.

    My contractor has had to sledge hammer out solid cast iron tubs before as well. Sounds like fun but I'm sure it's not after the first 50 swings or so.

    Steve, your contractor couldn't level the existing tub? Seems like you could pull the old one, do whatever leveling needed to be done and put it back? To be honest, most of our buyer's inspectors wouldn't even test for a level tub. I've had my contractor paint the inside of a fireplace with firebox paint and the inspector applauded us for putting in a "brand new fireplace." It was actually 30 years old.

  • Real Estate Investor · MD · Member since 2010 · 124 posts · 84 votes
    16y

    No offense Andy, but I am curious what your niche is as advising someone who's selling a rehab to pull out the tub is a recipe for disaster. I have rehabbed and sold numerous homes before getting into holding and I always reglazed the tubs. The tub looks new when its done, I give care and maintenance guide to new owner and its done. Replacing a tub costs way more than $400 and can open up a can of worms and lead to even more repairs depending on whether the floor underneath the tub is damaged, tiles around the tub, plumbing issues etc.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Andy Jones:
    ...
    Steve, your contractor couldn't level the existing tub? Seems like you could pull the old one, do whatever leveling needed to be done and put it back? ...


    To level a tub that is surrounded by ceramic tile, you would have to be able to match the tiles near the top of the tub, or somehow be very careful to not damage them. Once you're in demo mode ... Also, subfloor wasn't so sturdy upon closer examination, and the drain was lead pipe, which wasn't in such great shape; replaced that with PVC. See Tracey's post for "can of worms" reference :D

    Sometimes, you do these things to preserve reputation for a job done right, not because you can't get away with leaving things as is.

  • Lincoln, NE · Member since 2008 · 249 posts · 46 votes
    16y

    We have also used the home depot epoxy kit a few times now, About $40 materials and for labor hired my painter who charged me for 4 hrs work. Looks good enough, haven't had any done for long enough to determine durability but the tenant is happy.
    Hope it helps.

  • Wholesaler · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2009 · 286 posts · 255 votes
    16y

    No offense taken Tracey, but I'm not advising someone to pull out a tub, your words not mine. I was simply saying that if have to pull out a tub and don't want to re-tile the surround then re-doing the base row is a less expensive alternative. I'm not doubting the results of re-glazing, I just find it to be expensive compared with the alternative of replacement considering the prices I pay.

    Again I will re-iterate:

    "That $350 to $450 is when you're re-tiling the tub surround as well ($300 materials and labor for that). If you're not re-tiling around the tub then there is a risk of damaging tile of course."

    Perhaps you're doing higher end rehabs or that your market calls for a different finish. I'm doing median price range homes and lower. So for me, in this area, I almost always replace the tub and re-tile the surround. And if I'm doing that all at once it's about $400 for the tub and $300 for the tile surround, including materials and labor (drain kit, new shower faucet kit, valve, pipe sweating, green board, tub, 12" tile with accent rows, thinset, grout, sealer, caulking, etc... the whole 9 yards).

    I may get a better price than most because I do a lot of houses, but I think most of my colleagues in town would be +/- 15%.

    Steve, I think you mis-interpreted what I was saying. Yes I realize you can't re-level a tub while the tile is in place. I mean to say why couldn't they have demo'ed the surround, pulled the tub out, re-leveled, and then re-tile the surround once the original tub was back in place after being leveled? I was assuming in your scenario that you were replacing the surround anyway.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    16y

    Andy - contractor said it would cost less to sledge it and put in new, given the sub-floor needed to get replaced too.

  • Wholesaler · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2009 · 286 posts · 255 votes
    16y

    I can appreciate that if the sub-floor needed attention. The cast iron tubs are ridiculously heavy to have to shuffle around in a tight spot. Although, as the old saying goes "they don't make them like they used to."

  • Full-Time Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    tracey, if there are issues under the tub, wouldn't you want to pull the tub out to fix them anyways?? saying you don't want to remove the tub bc you may uncover more unknown issues is like saying you don't want to go into the attic bc you're afraid the roof may be leaking and you may find water...in my opinion, resurfacing a tub that has "issues" is putting lipstick on a pig in some situations...i just called a contractor the other day asking for prices..500, but he said he'd do the tile surround for another 300 bucks....NO THANKS...i can have my contractor throw in a brand new tub for way less than that.

  • Real Estate Investor · MD · Member since 2010 · 124 posts · 84 votes
    16y

    Bryan, it is clear from your post you have never reglazed as tub. As I already stated, I have reglazed tubs on over a dozen rehabs and sold them and had no problem. The original poster said he was done with his rehab. So yes, if I am done with my rehab that means there aren't any leaks or other issues and everything has been fixed. So yes at that point, if a realtor says the house looks great but the tub is dingy then yes I would reglaze the tub. That was the point and the question posted here. I am just offering a legitimate solution based on my experience. Two years ago, I told a newbie rehabber to reglaze the tub in her rehab and she didn't listen and came to me when she was done rehabbing the property crying about how the contractor tried to upcharge her for all this crap by pulling out the tub when he originally agreed to do it for a low price. After it was all said and done she agreed that she should have reglazed it. The bottom line is yes, all the posters have made valid points, but the original poster said he was DONE with his rehab. I would never pull out a tub for a rehab or rental unless the tub was in terrible shape. And obviously, if the tub was leaking or had significant subfloor damage, by the time I was done rehabbing that would have already been taken care of so there is no putting lipstick on a pig. At no time has anyone suggested reglazing a tub that has issues underneath. Anyone who has ever reglazed a tub clearly understands it is a cosmetic upgrade.

  • Full-Time Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    hey tracey, no problem...and you're right i haven ever reglazed a tub ( and prob won't after that price i was quoted)...maybe i misread what you said....for what it's worth, your business can be run however you want....i just want to make sure you weren't givin bad advice about not discovering problems while pulling out tubs...if it works for you keep going, but like i said, id rather pull it out and know everything under the tub is sturdy anyways...different strokes for different folks

  • OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 845 votes
    16y

    I've pulled out and replace half a dozen tubs , repaired the sub floor, often replaced the faucets, and redone the surround. It costs a heck of a lot less than $400.

    Often the sub floor is damaged way out to the toilet, and so the toilet gets pulled and a lot of sub floor gets replaced. I use pressure treated exterior plywood to repair sub floor in bathrooms.

    But then, I'm buy and hold and I want that repair job to last. Maybe it's different if you are selling immediately and don't care if the re-glazing starts to lose it's looks after 2-3 years.

    The only time I would consider re-glazing would be if the tub was a genuine antique clawfoot, or something really special and expensive.

    Re-glazing has to be card for, and the thought that tenants would take special care of a bathtub makes me laugh. I'm lucky if they think to scrub the tub out with Ajax once a year, and you can't treat a re-glazed tub that way. It's paint, not baked on enamel.

  • Real Estate Investor · MD · Member since 2010 · 124 posts · 84 votes
    16y

    LOL, even after a government tenant was evicted by the government from my unit, tub still looks brand new. I can't speak for your locations, but the reglazing in Maryland is the way to go. Also, no way you can replace a tub, surround, plumbing and toilet for $400. A cheap toilet costs $79, cheap tub costs $150, cheap diverter costs $79, I'm already at $308, then you said subfloor at $10 sheet plus the tub surround which costs anywhere from $50 to $150, then flooring, then caulk, you have already exceeded $400 and you haven't even included the cost to have someone demo and haul out the existing tub. If you don't like reglazing because you haven't tried it or the companies in your area don't do a good job, I can respect that, but don't try to tell me you can do all that work for less than $400 when materials alone cost more. Oh and did I mention time? Reglazing is done in 2 to 3 hours. Replacing the tub, subfloor, surround and toilet, at least a day if you are lucky.

  • Full-Time Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    a quick note on prices...i just bought a brand new garden sized tub for 5 bucks...i just bought a brand new matching set of stainless steel appliances (oven, otr microwave, fridge, and dw) for 1,000...i try not to pay retail

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.