Need help to regain a property in Baltimore

Need help to regain a property in Baltimore

Investor · Lithia, FL · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 5 votes

I have a property in Baltimore that tenant has not paid in over 12 months. My property management company, Propertymanagementpros has been working the case for 12 months but as of today nothing has happened. Can't really get any update from them. Is there anyone who could work this case, evict the tenant and sell the property?

Thanks,
Dennis

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

I have never heard of staying over 12 months. Sounds like your PM sucks like many do. 

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · . · Member since 2014 · 520 posts · 162 votes
    6y

    If you have a lease you should be able to evict between 4 and 6 months.  Property Management Pros sounds like some franchisey setup.  Baltimore  is not unique in that you need a good property manager on the ground.  Ask for all the paperwork property management pros has filed on your behalf.  Fire them and get a new property manager.  Send me a PM and I will give you a name.  Good luck! 

  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I have never heard of staying over 12 months. Sounds like your PM sucks like many do. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2017 · 142 posts · 125 votes
    6y

    @Dennis Santa Paula where in Baltimore is the property

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    @Dennis Santa Paula  Your property manager should have sorted this out by now.  Take up the offer by the other person who is a PM or hire an eviction attorney AND fire your current PM.

  • Investor · Lithia, FL · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Thank you all! Clearly property management pro only has pro on their name. I’ve been struggling with this property since i bought it. It’s located at 3227 Belmont avenue. If any investor interested to buy i would not mind taking a hit. Just want to get rid of this property/market. Thanks 

  • Ozzy SirimsiBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 782 votes
    6y

    @Dennis Santa Paula

    It should not take more than 3-4 months to evict a tenant and that is even considering sheriff's office is buys.

    I did one recently and it took me less than 3 months.

    You should find out if they did file a failure to

    pay rent, or not , if you have a case number or not

    If none of it is available you can file online ( there is web site that does it for you) and start the process yourself or find somebody who can on your behalf.

    12 months is ridiculous , I would fire current prop manager immediately.

  • Wholesaler · Durham, NC · Member since 2018 · 157 posts · 50 votes
    6y

    Sorry to hear your woes! I appreciate everyone's advice. It emphasizes the importance of vetting property managers-especially connecting with past and current clients to see how their experience with the pm has been

  • Professional Auctioneer · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I own 80 properties in Baltimore, we manage our own, we had bad tenants before, but never one that we were stuck with for a year.

    You need to get rid of your property manager, (we  call it tenant management).

    I am always a available if you want to chat. 

    Wishing you good luck - glad to give you an idea of comps in the are where your building is located.

    You should check to make sure the electric is not in your name -

    Wishing you good luck. 

  • Developer · . · Member since 2014 · 520 posts · 162 votes
    6y

    I am sure you signed an agreement with Property Management Pros.  File a suit against them too.  Failure to perform lost income, and anything else.

  • Investor · Lithia, FL · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Shadonna N.:

    I am sure you signed an agreement with Property Management Pros.  File a suit against them too.  Failure to perform lost income, and anything else.

     Would you recommend someone to file a suit? Thanks 

  • Developer · . · Member since 2014 · 520 posts · 162 votes
    6y

    Sure, start with your new property manager and get the eviction started.  I am curious if they even filed.  How did you find the company?

  • Rental Property Investor · MD · Member since 2018 · 287 posts · 205 votes
    6y

    I just looked up property management pros on google and the reviews are not pretty

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    6y

    120 days max to evict. Sounds like maybe they are collecting rent and keeping it for themselves possibly.

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 247 posts · 321 votes
    6y

    What I want to know is who told you to buy a place on Belmont Ave? not a great area to invest in my opinion  Eviction takes roughly about 80 days start to finish as of this past month(oct) when I scheduled my last eviction in Baltimore City, MD. You PM should have filed for eviction after the 5th of the first month they didn't pay.  You can use clicknotices.com and evict yourself for about 100 bucks and literally do nothing except for pay someone to be there when the sheriff shows up so they can hand the sheriff the paperwork necessary.  Good luck 

  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I recently had a squatter saying I had to file on him which could have taken me to Feb.  I considered multiple strategies but karma intervened. He went out in an ambulance and is in ICU due to health issues. 

  • Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ian Barnes:

    What I want to know is who told you to buy a place on Belmont Ave? not a great area to invest in my opinion  

     Ian - I would love to understand why you think this. I am interested in Baltimore and can see why the buyer felt this might be a good opportunity - albeit via some quick research on various property sites.

    As an OOS investor, I would be interested in your thoughts on it.

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2019 · 47 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    I'm not sure if links are allowed as i'm still new to the site. I happen to know this area myself so while i strongly agree with Ian, i just did a quick search on Zillow and Trulia to see if i could substantiate the claims and i think Trulia's crime map for the neighborhood would give you pause. Zillow's Zestimates for all properties on that block hover around 29k. 

  • Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Michael Kissi:

    Thanks the address comes up as low crime, but there is a lot of crime to the right hand side and below this street. Interesting - what doe thi mean for the trustability of Trulia crime maps, or as an investor even if Trulia says low crim e- try and still choose places which have a larger low crime space around them?

     I's also good you're form the area - can you suggest any spots in Baltimore that could be good for investment research?

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 247 posts · 321 votes
    6y

    @Wendy Brockman Baltimore gives you all the data you need for free, 

    https://data.baltimorecity.gov/

    If they spent as much time and money, as they do on their data, there would probably be less crime, but not with the city.

  • Developer · . · Member since 2014 · 520 posts · 162 votes
    6y

    @Dennis Santa Paula how are things going?  Any updates?

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 281 posts · 257 votes
    6y

    @Dennis Santa Paula I recently owned a property a few blocks from there. Someone broke in and stole all the radiators after I evicted my tenant, but apart from that, it was great!  :)    It is a so-so neighborhood...not terrible and not great. The crime situation is ok -- not an open air drug market. But the thieves that stole my radiators did so in broad daylight. Neighbors watched them and did not call the police.

    I can see one reason your PM had trouble getting the tenants out in 2018. The property was not registered as a rental with the city. Can't take the tenants to rent court without that. Your PM didn't register it until mid-2019.

    Feel free to PM me.

  • Investor · Lithia, FL · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Thanks for your comments! I got the property back and renovated it already. Will sell it now. What would you say houses are worth over there? Thanks 

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 281 posts · 257 votes
    6y

    @Dennis Santa Paula I recommend hiring a realtor to run comps -- really depends on quality of the reno. The values will be pretty low because it is rare to find retail sales in this neighborhood. And few banks lend to investors there (due to the low loan amount...the juice is not worth the squeeze for them). Most investors are financing these low-end rentals as a portfolio or with private lenders. All these factors result in lower comps.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.