Can you transfer a tax lien?

Can you transfer a tax lien?

Financial Services · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2015 · 80 posts · 40 votes

Hi,

Was wondering if it is possible to transfer a tax lien to another individual or a company? Does anyone know how that would be done? 

Thanks,
Hobart

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Attorney · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 142 posts · 79 votes
11y

In Illinois, tax lien certificates are freely assignable. In some counties, the assignment language is preprinted on the certificate. The assignment may, but is not required, to be registered with the county. I am not sure about other states. Thanks. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y

    Hobart,

    Yes you can transfer a tax lien to someone else. Contact the County Delinquent Tax Office as ask them what you need to do. If they are uncooperative you could always sell the lien and give the person a Quit Claim Deed against the property in case you do get deeded the property and some kind of agreement to give them any redemption checks you might receive.

    I know people who have transferred a tax lien in SC to another person.

    I am thinking about selling a tax lien I have on a lot I am going to get (spoke with current owners) before I am issued the Tax Deed.

    John

  • Attorney · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 142 posts · 79 votes
    11y

    In Illinois, tax lien certificates are freely assignable. In some counties, the assignment language is preprinted on the certificate. The assignment may, but is not required, to be registered with the county. I am not sure about other states. Thanks. 

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y

    I believe in general they are, as the messages above say. I know in MD they are freely assignable and have done so myself regularly. 

    But this will be up to your states, or possibly counties laws. A call to the tax sale office should give you a definitive answer.

  • Financial Services · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2015 · 80 posts · 40 votes
    11y

    Thanks all for the help

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.