Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 31 posts · 35 votes
Hello BP!
I'm 22 and looking to move into the Columbus, OH market while starting an MBA at OSU! and buy my first property (House Hack!). I've been looking into neighborhoods in the area and have about $9k for a down payment currently, but living on a budget and saving more every month. I'm hoping to connect and get some insight from local investors on the Columbus area and neighborhoods to look into and neighborhoods to avoid. I've heard Westerville is a very good area, but may be just outside my price range and Franklinton is a rapidly appreciating area, but still gentrifying. I appreciate all the help in advance and look forward to connecting!
I'm also 22 with about $15k ready for down payment but I'm trying to look on the more eastern side of Columbus if possible. I've noticed that maybe the 43206 area east of German village and 43205 is in my price range. Any advice or things I should look out for? also curious if anyone has somewhere more fitting on the east side in my price range for a duplex house hack.
Thank you all for replying on this thread, I have already learned a lot!
I think you're looking in a great area. Check out Milo-Grogan as well, smaller area but really in the path of progress. King Lincoln, Southern Orchards, Old Oaks, Olde Towne East, Merion Village - that whole east corridor of Columbus around Children's is blowing up so the biggest thing is getting into contract on something as the market is crazy hot.
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y
It depends on what your goals are for REI. House hacking is one of the best ways to get into real estate. If you plan to move out after a year and repeat the process you may just want to look at places that are experiencing rapid appreciation (Olde Towne East, Franklinton etc..) If you are planning on staying for a few years then location overall might be more important than just the numbers.
Westerville is originally where I am from and it's a great place, but it is pretty suburban. I wouldn't necessarily want to move to the suburbs for my first house hack and prefer the metro areas but it's all preference. @Cody McVay
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 82 posts · 133 votes
5y
Hey @Cody McVay, Franklinton would be an excellent candidate for a house hack. I know an investor who did that while going to OSU. I’d be happy to help you look.
Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 31 posts · 35 votes
5y
@Brandon Goldsmith Certainly to move out after about a year and repeat. I'm looking to house hack a property/year for likely next three years then jump into something more long term. Thank you for the the helpful advice!
I'm 22 and looking to move into the Columbus, OH market while starting an MBA at OSU! and buy my first property (House Hack!). I've been looking into neighborhoods in the area and have about $9k for a down payment currently, but living on a budget and saving more every month. I'm hoping to connect and get some insight from local investors on the Columbus area and neighborhoods to look into and neighborhoods to avoid. I've heard Westerville is a very good area, but may be just outside my price range and Franklinton is a rapidly appreciating area, but still gentrifying. I appreciate all the help in advance and look forward to connecting!
Best,
You should buy in Franklinton. I have 7 units there. It is my favorite neighborhood in Columbus, Ohio
Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 396 votes
5y
I tend to agree with @Remington Lyman on this one. With the price point you will be looking for and the chance for appreciation, Franklinton will be hard to
beat. Find an agent who is familiar with the areas and pockets in the neighborhood. Also some find it can be easier to hire management on their first investment. Good luck, Columbus is great.
I'm 22 and looking to move into the Columbus, OH market while starting an MBA at OSU! and buy my first property (House Hack!). I've been looking into neighborhoods in the area and have about $9k for a down payment currently, but living on a budget and saving more every month. I'm hoping to connect and get some insight from local investors on the Columbus area and neighborhoods to look into and neighborhoods to avoid. I've heard Westerville is a very good area, but may be just outside my price range and Franklinton is a rapidly appreciating area, but still gentrifying. I appreciate all the help in advance and look forward to connecting!
Best,
Congrats on starting school there! I am a senior there right now! During my junior year I purchased a duplex that I house hacked and BRRRR'ed. It was great because it was a 15 minute walk to the business campus. However campus is pretty pricey and supply is always low. If you can afford it and find a place though Id recommend it. Between Lane Ave down to 11th Ave is prime Campus area.
Some great up & coming areas around would be Franklinton and North Linden.
what is an average 2-4 fixer upperunits in franklinton cost?
This would depend on a number of factors: where its located in franklinton, what state of "fixer upper" its in(big difference in a property that just needs light updates and one that's gutted to the studs and needs a full renovation).
Accountant · North Royalton, OH · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 12 votes
5y
Great to see you're looking at house hacking! I bought a 6 bed SFH when I was a Junior at OSU and I moved out after just after I graduated. I used a 3.5% down FHA loan, which might be beneficial in your case as well.
The house is in the University District, which is a bit northeast of campus and about a 5 minute bike ride to the business campus. The street that I bought on is seeing some heavy renovations and it attracts mostly graduate students due to the low-key neighborhood.
Great to see you're looking at house hacking! I bought a 6 bed SFH when I was a Junior at OSU and I moved out after just after I graduated. I used a 3.5% down FHA loan, which might be beneficial in your case as well.
The house is in the University District, which is a bit northeast of campus and about a 5 minute bike ride to the business campus. The street that I bought on is seeing some heavy renovations and it attracts mostly graduate students due to the low-key neighborhood.
Nice! That is how I started as well. I bought a double right after I graduated near OSU.
Great to see you're looking at house hacking! I bought a 6 bed SFH when I was a Junior at OSU and I moved out after just after I graduated. I used a 3.5% down FHA loan, which might be beneficial in your case as well.
The house is in the University District, which is a bit northeast of campus and about a 5 minute bike ride to the business campus. The street that I bought on is seeing some heavy renovations and it attracts mostly graduate students due to the low-key neighborhood.
Had an offer accepted on a duplex in Woodland park! About 10 min. drive to Fisher. Drove the neighborhood today and seems like a solid B neighborhood close to a few nice parks. Now need to close and learn how to manage tenants!
Financial Services · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2015 · 80 posts · 40 votes
5y
@Cody McVay
I lived in Columbus for six years but moved in 2019 to Birmingham for family.
Franklinton would be a good place to look. I would also look at Weinland Park (adjacent to Italian Village) and also at the area east of Italian Village before you hit the interstate (not sure what this area is called).
I had some buddies at work look at stuff in Franklinton and they thought it was too expensive and that was over a year ago. The word is definitely out that Franklinton is now a desirable area of town! I’ve heard Bronzeville is getting nicer as well but never went to that area of town.
I lived in Columbus for six years but moved in 2019 to Birmingham for family.
Franklinton would be a good place to look. I would also look at Weinland Park (adjacent to Italian Village) and also at the area east of Italian Village before you hit the interstate (not sure what this area is called).
I had some buddies at work look at stuff in Franklinton and they thought it was too expensive and that was over a year ago. The word is definitely out that Franklinton is now a desirable area of town! I’ve heard Bronzeville is getting nicer as well but never went to that area of town.
Good luck!!
All good recommendations. The area east of Italian Village is called Milo Grogan and it is developing quickly with a good amount of houses turning over and renovations popping up.
Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 1 vote
5y
I'm also 22 with about $15k ready for down payment but I'm trying to look on the more eastern side of Columbus if possible. I've noticed that maybe the 43206 area east of German village and 43205 is in my price range. Any advice or things I should look out for? also curious if anyone has somewhere more fitting on the east side in my price range for a duplex house hack.
Thank you all for replying on this thread, I have already learned a lot!