Skip to content
Portland Real Estate Forum
Account Closed
  • Property Manager
  • Orinda, CA
Votes |
Sell or Rent - How to Decide? Any help very much appreciated! :)

Account Closed
  • Property Manager
  • Orinda, CA
Posted May 24 2016, 14:23

Hi everyone, I'm new around here and I would love to get some good advice on this.

I own a home in South Tabor (Portland) that I bought in 2010 for 240k, PITI is $1650.

I haven't put any money into the property to speak of, a few things like paint, new wood fencing, but not much. 

It is a very unique property in close-in Portland in that it has an oversized 2-car detached garage at the back of the property. It is more like a small barn because it is tall and very spacious at about 600 sq ft.

It is located on a very desirable cul-de-sac street with almost zero traffic - super quiet, safe and private. You can walk to Mt. Tabor park and other stuff people like such as cool restaurants etc. in about 15 min or less.

The house itself is a 2-1 with about 1000 ft, built in 1949. 

I inherited a house and have the opportunity to move and sell or rent this house but I am having trouble deciding. 

Looking at Craigslist, rents look very strong in this area with similar homes at about $2,000 plus per month. The location and the potential work/studio or vehicle storage space I believe would add to that number. 

Selling would bring a price of around 400k or higher. It's hard to find comps because a garage of that size is an extremely rare find around here.

If anyone has any tips on how to decide which way to go I would really appreciate it. I don't have much of an emotional attachment to the house even though I've lived in it for 5 years. I might be a little bit reluctant to let it go since it is not easy to find features like this house has. Although if the price was right...

Thank you for reading and I thank you in advance for any advice!

Loading replies...