Just closed my first deal!

Just closed my first deal!

Texas City, TX · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 43 votes

Hey guys,

Just wanted to thank everyone that spent time answering all of my questions(some pretty bad ones too) to this point. I just closed on my first deal yesterday. 


I know this means that I'm still just starting on this journey, but I feel like it's a pretty big milestone and just wanted to share it with y'all.

19Reply
111 views

Most Popular Reply

Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 4 votes
8y

Congratulations, Thomas! That's a pretty big deal. Can you share some details as to how you found the property, what was your strategy, what were the numbers, etc?

See this reply in the discussion

47 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Texas City, TX · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 43 votes
    8y

    @Ken Breeze I hope to have at least one other property by the end of the year!

    @Jessica G. I actually got really lucky and hooked up with an agent who was friends with the guy selling it, and got it before it ever hit the market.

    But don't let that discourage you, there were a few other properties I wanted just from scouring the MLS that I didn't get for one reason or another. So there are definitely deals to be had that are available to the public, you just have to be diligent in checking every day.

  • Specialist · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    @Thomas Shaw HECK YEAH! Go Thomas! BEAUTIFUL DEAL BRO!

  • Real Estate Agent · Cypress, TX · Member since 2018 · 156 posts · 73 votes
    8y

    @Thomas Shaw awesome! congratulations! i love garage apartments and their extra income! keep us posted on the repairs and tenants! 

  • Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Congrats bro!!!

  • Developer · Oakland, CA · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Nice!

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    Congrats Thomas.  Where in Houston did you find your first deal?

  • Real Estate Broker/Owner & Property Manager · Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2013 · 660 posts · 459 votes
    8y

    @Thomas Shaw Congrats! Welcome to the Landlords club. You just took your first step forward and hope you should continue to make more deals. Building rental portfolio needs real patience and persistence. 

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    Congrats! Hope to get my first one soon. 

  • Jeff LeePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Huffman, TX · Member since 2018 · 68 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    Congrats @Thomas Shaw! I'm also in the Houston area (Northeast) but I have a rental property in Northern Virginia. Something to keep in mind is that property management may not just be a flat rate. 

    For example, the month-to-month property management rate for my Virginia property is 8% of gross rents.

    Marketing and placement of a new tenant is 80% of month. 1 month = 8.3% of gross rent, and .8 * 1 month (.083) = 6.67% of gross rent.

    Renewing a tenant is $500 which is 27% of 1 month at my property. .27* 1 month (.083) = 2.25% of gross rent.

    Minimum I pay= 10.25% of gross rents (8% +2.25%)

    Max I pay = 14.67% of gross rents (8% + 6.67%), assuming the tenant turns over every year.

    Some management companies also charge for inspections (like my former VA manager who I just fired).

    Not sure what it runs here in Houston (yet), but watch out for all the other bits and pieces in the property management contract – they add up!

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 316 posts · 130 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Thomas Shaw:

    Thanks for the kind words.

    As for the deal itself, here are the details.

    It's a normal, single family home, a 2/1(~1100 sqft), but it has a detatched garage with a add on 1/1(~450 sqft) above it.

    I paid 97150 with 20% down. The closing costs were about 1500. My interest rate is 4.625 and I was charged .04 points. 30 year.

    For taxes I estimated about 2700, but I expect them to actually be a couple hundred lower. I just like to be a bit on the conservative side.

    For repairs, they are very very minimal. The main 2/1 needs next to nothing. It's in fantastic shape. They even threw in all appliances(which are in great shape) and a TV. It even has a small waterfall in the back yard that the previous owner installed. Also has covered parking for two cars, and the garage that the apartment sits on is a 2.5 car garage, off street)

    For the garage apartment, it really only needs carpet, paint, and a new AC(window unit.) So I estimated around 3k for everything.

    For expenses I just estimated 8% for vacancies, 8% for repairs, 5% for capex, and 8% for management fees(even though I plan on self managing for the foreseeable future.) For insurance I estimated 200/mo, and it came in a little lower at 180 a month.

    As far as rent goes, I should, at the absolute worst case, be able to get 1400 between the two. I'm pretty confident that I can get 1600-1700 though.


    That puts my ROI @ 1400/mo right at 8%, which I know is a little low, but I also felt even at this ROI that I'd be happy enough to just finally pull the trigger and learn some stuff.

    At 1600/mo my ROI is just a little under 15% which I would be extremely happy with.

    I'm positive I've made some mistakes along the way, but I think I'm just really happy to finally stop reading and thinking and just do it.

    If anyone has any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. 

    Congratulations. The financial numbers are important. However, gaining experience and going through the actually process has value too. Especially if you plan on being active in this field. Working on my first deal in Chicago and the ole "well you never done this before and this is your first one" issues when talking with lenders. So I added a value to gaining experience and knowledge of this area as ROI as well.

  • Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 857 votes
    8y

    Well done @Thomas Shaw

  • Texas City, TX · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 43 votes
    8y

    @Jeff Lee

    Thanks for the info on PM. I'll definitely have to adjust some numbers in the future.

    For the first few properties I plan on self managing, so it won't be an issue for a bit.

    How do you run the numbers? Do you just always assume the worst case of a new tenant every year?

  • Jeff LeePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Huffman, TX · Member since 2018 · 68 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    @Thomas Shaw - To be conservative, yeah, I'd assume annual turnover but hope for someone that stays for 20 years! That being said, I currently only have the one property so I'm still very much a newbie myself.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y
    Congratulations you are making the right move
  • Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    I am new to investing, and I am struggling with coming up with the numbers. Like how do you come up with the ARV? When u get those numbers what makes a deal a good deal?

  • Texas City, TX · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 43 votes
    8y

    @Acaiah Howard

    So I will be honest. For this particular house, the ARV isn't super important. It was sold to me a bit under market, but it needed no repairs. But due to being a duplex and a single family home price, it was a good deal just based on the cash flow.

    I was in your situation though until I just decided to reach out to a few random real estate agents(from Zillow) and just started asking the one that responded first questions.

    I was completely honest with him about being a new, totally inexperienced investor, and he was willing to answer my(dumb) questions.

    I asked him for ARVs on houses, what sort of rents I could expect in the different areas I was looking in, and he answered everything.

    I'd say if you're paralyzed from just trying to analyze and getting stumped, maybe you should try and just reach out to someone and see how it goes. You've got nothing to lose. Embarrassment never killed anyone.

  • Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    @Thomas Shaw 

    You are absolutely right, sometimes we get in our own way. Thank you I will apply your advice! 

  • Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Way to go Thomas!

  • Texas City, TX · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 43 votes
    8y

    So I just wanted to post an update!

    I signed the lease today. My tenants move in 7/1.

    I actually ended up doing things a bit differently than planned, but I think I'm still happy with the results.

    A couple approached me about wanting to rent it all out as a 3/2(instead of a 2/1 and a 1/1 as I had planned.)
    They were only willing to pay 1500(which is still above my lowest happy price point of 1400)

    But, the tenant is very handy(he's actually a civilian contractor at a local Air Force base) and is willing to do all maintenence and repairs and upkeep himself. I'll just be covering materials. Plus they signed a two year lease.

    So it isn't quite as much money as I had hoped for, but hopefully it will be much less to deal with.

    So the final numbers come out to be 1500 a month, but I knocked down the amount I had for repairs a little bit(from 8% to 5%) and that puts my COC ROI at 13.2%. Not a homerun, but surely not too bad for my first deal.

  • Real Estate Broker · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 15 votes
    8y
    Congratulations, Thomas!
  • Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Congratulations!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.